What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Yes for sure. The floral arrangements and gardening are impeccably beautiful. Surely a green thumb.

Have a lovely Sunday …

1 Like

In case anyone wants to jump on the food memories bandwagon, I started a thread with many of mine here:

4 Likes

9 Likes

The garden or the cuisine ? Or both ?

That salmon looks amazing, @Barca!

1 Like

Yes, it was quite sublimely exquisite. It was flame seared only on the top and was rare except for the seared top … Melt on your palate to die for … It was wild and line caught from Alaska Pacific.

Lovely Japanese venue for lunch.

3 Likes

How did I miss martini day? :sob:

2 Likes

Tonight it’ll be scapes, baby scapes, but scape nonetheless.

12 Likes

Scapes! How do you prepare yours? I use them in everything where otherwise I’d use the garlic’s cloves.

When the scapes are all gone I am sad because that means the long days of summer that I enjoy the most are gone too.

2 Likes

Ditto! One of my favorite seasonal foods, and the main reason I grow garlic myself. I made eight quarts of garlic scape pesto from my crop this year. I will ration it carefully until the season rolls around again next year!

4 Likes

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished: Wait. Eight QUARTS?

1 Like

Went with a simple “don’t heat up the kitchen” meal tonight: a single b/s chicken breast cut in half lengthwise, seasoned with s/p, topped with a whisked mix of apricot preserves, stone-ground mustard, white wine and a bit of horseradish for some “bite”, and baked in the toaster oven at 350° for about 40 minutes, turning it to convection for the last 15 minutes.

Sides were Basmati rice with fresh snipped chives added at the end, and sauteed sugar snap peas, red bell pepper, onion and last season’s corn off the cob seasoned with Penzeys Mural of Flavor and some s/p.

Wine.

12 Likes

A couple of dinners from the past week: beef filet with mushroom sauce, and Swiss Chard (but not charred) :upside_down_face:, scallops, vegetable pilaf, and spinach sautéed with shallots.

14 Likes

We are in the middle of a heat wave, so didn’t want to heat the house up with the stove. I decided to roast some sweet potato and cauliflower with taco seasoning in the air fryer. I will going away for the long weekend, so I’m trying to clean out the fridge. That meant using spinach instead of lettuce on my tacos, also had the tiniest bit of cucumber left so put that on the tacos, too. It actually added a good flavour and crunch, and helped cut through the spicy salsa. Had no limes for the Coronas in the fridge, so had a glass of local Chardonnay instead. Super oaky, super delicious.

14 Likes

Dinner at home tonight.

Started with idea to approximate a pasta I ate recently but then went off the rails and just made something up - lots of caramelized scallions, garlic, and then sliced Brussels sprouts, with some red pepper flakes. Oh, and browned butter to start. Cappellini went in, then finished with pecorino. Quite nice for no plan.

19 Likes

I really like your off the rails made-up dinner!

2 Likes

Tonight I just tossed them in with potatoes for a side with a steak. I’m like you in that I’ll add them to anything that is complimented with garlic. The most common way I eat them however is with scrambled eggs. :joy:

2 Likes

I do many things electronically and tend to search for recipes online now more than i turn to my beloved trove of physical cookbooks (which i still buy). But I do keep recipe binders, which include printed copies of recipes i’ve sourced from various places with my hand written annotations of additions or modifications, or scaled up or down quantities. They also include some adaptations of my mom’s homestyle Indian recipes, streamlined to include my shortcuts or modernizations. These binders are exceptionally special to me. I have often thought of turning them into a family cookbook to share with others, but haven’t found the time or energy to do so. If anyone has a good platform to make that a less daunting task, i’d be interested to hear about your experience.

4 Likes

Lol, I just looked again at my freezer and apparently I had a brain fart when I typed that - it was FIVE quarts. Still a good haul this year!

3 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ.
We enjoyed filet mignon with mushroom trifolati al cremoso; Berkshire pork chop; ricotta gnocchi with rock shrimp, and the usually awesome charcuterie board. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and Barolo.

10 Likes