What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

Our first night in Philly was an improv evening of sorts - no rezzies anywhere, so we just headed towards The Franklin Bar for early eve libations. The line for the downstairs bar was too long for us to stand around in the cold, so we opted for the upstairs, more casual bar. They had a big daiquiri list (not my cuppa, generally) and a few interesting cocktails. My man went with two different daiquiris, I had a “In Cold Blood” (= mezcal, amaro nardini, blackberry lime juice), a “Chaos Theory” (= rye, hibiscus, lemon juice, peychaud’s bitters, orange flower water, egg white) and a Paloma, b/c the Franklin is the first place I’ve ever had a paloma, and their version remains my favorite.

Afterwards, we hopped a few feet south to The Dandelion, a pretty overrated British-style pub. Deviled eggs for $8. Meh. Crab/cod/chilli cakes that were good. A duck foie gras & pistachio terrine that was too cold to taste of anything. Had a nice big bottle of dark & dry cider, however.

From there, we went to Tria, a small local wine & small plates chain we’ve been to many times. We shared a few different cheeses (including one of my favorites, tête de moines) and had too much wine.

Tonight, Italian’s on the menu here.

3 Likes

Not me. But I’d be calling it Lancashire Hotpot and using lamb neck fillets. Shoulder joint is a roasting joint in this house.

Would you say this recipe is more or less spot on? I’m afraid the sliced potatoes simply fall apart after a couple of hours. But the slices look quite thick as seen in image search.

(I have just done an image search and it does look tasty. No problem getting lamb necks here.)

I never scoff at lamb. Or stew.

1 Like

How about the Irish? '-D

1 Like

After 8 mos. of little to no carbs, breads, pasta etc. it’s my birthday weekend and time for a little reward! (Nearly 60lbs lost!) A little pizza and Peyton Manning (chicken parm you taste soooo good), sometimes it’s the small pleasures in life.

11 Likes

That’s a tiny pizza even '-D

Congrats on your impressive weight loss!!! I’m having pizza tonight, but after this weekend it’s back to the hunger games…

2 Likes

I’ve got a feeling it will be a rough morning at the gym, but well worth it!

Wow, congratulations on your progress! Birthday pizzajust tastes better :wink:

3 Likes

Last night was SE pan pizza. Highly recommended!

5 Likes

I finally got to do some cooking this weekend!

Tonight I made moshi (sp?) pork. I cheated and used flour tortillas instead of mandarin pancakes but I only had so much time. Then during the day today I made beef jerky and bagel chips in the dehydrator. I also made a “bloody Mary salad.”

I was happy with all the recipes!

2 Likes

Decided i needed to use up some leftover lentils and found this interesting way to skillet “pop” them while googling around. This was stupid easy and waaaayyy more delicious than i expected.
I used some coconut oil, smoked paprika and lots of black pepper.
The lentils landed ontop of a big massaged kale salad with sunflower seeds, chopped cucumber, shredded carrots, scallions, and and mushrooms.
Glass of reisling a la cart

3 Likes

Dang, that looks great! Link: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Happy Birthday! You have done an amazing job with your dietary changes and weight loss. Have fun!

1 Like

Your stew looks fabulous. I’m looking forward to some slow-cooked dishes come winter. There’s a wonderful River Cafe recipe that has you slow cook (12 hours) a chunk of beef shin with copious amount of garlic cloves and red wine that I’ve been thinking about all summer.

2 Likes

A prime filet mignon (bought at a great discount), baked potato, sauteed mushrooms and arugula salad. So good.

5 Likes

Looks right to me. It’s a very simple dish, as is Irish stew or scouse - one that originally would cook all day and be ready when “the man” got home from the cotton mill. Slices of potato want to be about 5mm thick - you get a lovely contrast, with the top layer going crispy and the lower layers just on the point of falling apart.

You need something contrasty with it - pickled red cabbage would be very traditional but I don’t know how available jars of that are where you are.

Dinner’s a Nigel Slater recipe from Kitchen Diaries. One of his wacky ones that I’ve ignored in the past but decided it’s worth a try. I sometimes wonder with his vegetarian recipes if he’s just taking the piss, but here we go. Quantities for 2.

900g of butternut squash (or any other squash/pumpkin) is cut into thick slices and baked till soft. Meanwhile, 950g of tomatoes are cut in half and go on a baking tray. They’re drizzled with oil and sprinkled with s & p, chopped garlic and a couple of red chillis. They roast for 45 minutes or so until soft and a bit blackened. They’re then roughly chopped to make a sort of sauce. He suggests you may want some rice with this - thanks very much, Nige, we will.

1 Like

Since I’m part Irish, I’ll say “mostly no”. I only scoff at the “fake Irish” that will be in full evidence a week and a half from now.

Thanks, Harters. I see jarred red cabbage in the supermarket but am not sure if it’s pickled. I can make it myself. Good Food has a simple recipe.

WFD: Flammkuchen. Dough is store-bought (sorry kitchen goddesses). Speck, thinly sliced onion, and crème fraîche. A big salad and Riesling as sides. I prefer German Riesling but Alsatian has a strong presence here. One of the reasons I always look forward to my christmas-new year holidays in Germany!

1 Like