What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Totally adapting this vegetarian-style for me and B this week (gonna use soy ground beef). Funny, B has been craving his mom’s stuffed peppers which I never ate as a kid up. I think I ate it once at a friend’s house when I was in elementary school and I was like “yuk” in my head but I politely ate it. It was probably highly under-seasoned.

5 Likes

Butter!

Dover Sole Meunière & Braised Leeks

The fish was so delicate, but not bad for my first try.

I added potato to my butter. :relaxed:

19 Likes

Lol. Their Zuppa Toscana is actually not bad - I occasionally go at lunch for the soup and bottomless salad (i.e. the only reason to go to OG)! But it is very easy to duplicate and improve upon at home - I make it frequently, sans potatoes. I agree with you that white beans would be better than potatoes, too!

2 Likes

Perhaps subconsciously inspired by the kheema discussion upthread, i made kheema tonight, no potatoes and/or peas, but with chickpeas and some sauteed greens. served over brown rice with roasted masala cauliflower. easy and flavorful, even though i toned down the heat for the kiddos. still quite tasty.

14 Likes

i know it’s not March! Second St. Paddy’s Day dinner, cuz we had corned beef, and the BF loves it so. He made a honey mustard sauce for the carrots/cabbage, and the buttery mashed potatoes. I sauteed beets I’d already roasted which gave them a nice crispiness - first time frying beets. So good, so earthy! With a goat cheese/cream/chive sauce, they may have been my favorite part of the meal. Maybe.

17 Likes

both dishes look perfectly decadent.

1 Like

Indian food tonight, by weekly rotation.

Gujarati dal (sweet & sour, with peanuts) was a nice change from the North Indian versions we usually have.

Also Parsi patra ni macchi - fish (salmon for me, swordfish for sibling) with green chutney steamed in a banana leaf (or parchment, in this case).

I did some paneer the same way for older nephew who is quite adventurous, and it was a big hit - it might actually have been better than the fish.

Vegetables were standard fare - cauliflower and green beans.

I’m still soft-fooding it - so rice, dal, fish, and a bit of slightly overcooked cauliflower for me.

15 Likes

My mom makes vegetarian stuffed peppers with soya granules cooked like kheema, mixed with rice.

Though she also stuffs them with spiced mashed potato, and I may actually prefer that version :thinking:

The other kheema sub that works great is whole brown lentils - same spicing, cook till toothsome rather than falling apart. (That actually makes a delicious - and totally legit - biryani too,)

5 Likes

Thanks for posting those crispy beets. Such a simple thing to do which I’m sure brings the beets to a new level. I can’t wait to try making some.

1 Like

I would love to see an “after” pic of how the salmon came out. My wife and daughter like salmon (I only eat it raw, can’t stand it cooked) so I’m always looking for new ways to make it. Just curious, thank you!

1 Like

This is also my favorite way to make it – her recipes are amazing.

BF made beef stew last night. Normally a winter thing but he had a craving and that meant no cooking for me, so why not! Side of crusty roasted garlic ciabatta.

16 Likes

Hope it went well. My son is off to do his 4 wisdom teeth as we speak. Yesterday we stocked up on yogurt, pudding, potatoes for mash and broth. Pasta and carrots cooked in chicken broth is great for soft, also feeling under the weather. Jewish penicillin.

5 Likes

Well, they look wonderful

1 Like

I didn’t take one, though maybe I have an old pic somewhere… yup, found.

Looks like any other en papillote version, the green chutney “sets” onto the fish - and into, it was very flavorful.

This pic was with Chinese scallion ginger condiment - last night’s chutney was smoother and set more evenly onto the fridge.

13 Likes

Beautiful salad and amazingly home and gardens.

Best wishes.

1 Like

I think these are called Scalloped Potatoes (potatoes dauphinoise). I cooked them in a bread loaf pan so I could make thick slices. I then fried half of those slices in clarified butter with rosemary and garlic for a crispy outer crust and served the fried with a slice of the cold: Same thing presented two different ways with dinner.

12 Likes

I don’t care what they’re called. I want them!

3 Likes

Quick dinner. Udon noodles mixed with sauteed chicken, asparagus, red bell pepper, and onions, and mixed with my Dad’s satay sauce (you could use any bottled peanut sauce you like). Topped with a handful of salted peanuts.

And :::gasp::: Yes, that’s the stem of a wine glass you see in the corner. On a Tuesday, no less! :wink:

17 Likes

Ok after my paella debacle of the weekend I was ready to get back to my wheel house.

Berkshire pork chops grilled over a cauliflower purée topped with a balsamic infused hot pepper and bacon jam reduction. Side of corn on the cob. (the double was for my son, dear lord I might never retire)

Side note really enjoying the outdoor cooking pandemic addition to the outdoor entertainment area. Bobs big house of noodles coming soon!!

14 Likes