What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

We were having our favourite easy and fresh option of burrata with basil and tomatoes, but it’s not quite enough for dinner so I made a sort of easy Thai soup, inspired by reading about tom yum. I haven’t had that for ages!

I just used a Knorr Kaffir Lime Leaf and Ginger stock pot as the base - put in a little fish sauce and sugar and some lemongrass. I simmered it for 5 mins to bring out the flavour, then added some thinly sliced mushroom (I needed only one - it was a small bowl for us smaller eaters) two halves of a cherry tomato, sliced green onion, and two shrimp for each bowl - simmered for another few mins. Garnished with some basil, cilantro, and a lime wedge, and only a tiny amount of coconut cream since my guy doesn’t enjoy it much. It was a tasty experiment and now all the actual Thai chefs can laugh at me :wink:

16 Likes

I don’t think we get Beignets here either, but I’m addicted to their creamy Red Beans & Rice. :yum:

1 Like

I’m not a Thai chef, but no laughing here. It sounds delicious.

3 Likes

It looks & sounds sooo comfortingly yummy.

That must’ve been some pretty great wine to be the “highlight” of a meal that looks like that! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes! And I just posted about my trip to Eataly London and lusting after the zucchini flowers. I feel inspired - but I don’t deep fry. Hmm, what to do…

1 Like

I like the idea of those agnolotti! I might see if I can dig up a recipe for those since my pasta machine is getting dusty. It all sounds yum.

2 Likes

I did chop & add a few to the spaghetti sauce after running out of cheese mixture. I’m going to buy more if they’re available… How do you cook yours?

Thanks! I’d use less smoked paprika next time because it overpowered the fennel pollen a little bit. Still good!

2 Likes

Sister’s birthday was this week, and we went out for dinner for our first at-a-restaurant/outdoor dining experience in 14 mos. Thursday night.

In order to ensure at least a birthday week, tonight I made us dinner of ribeye steak mounted with a little dungeness crab, sauteed asparagus with TJs’ EBTB and chili crisp, arugula tossed with lemon juice/olive oil, and my chimichurri over everything.

Had a little setback with the weird eye/face thing with renewed swelling/itching, which now they’re thinking maybe was an allergic reaction after all, rather than an infection. Who knows? Better today. Have an appointment Monday morning.

14 Likes

I’ve never made them! You’ve inspired me to stop procrastinating about it but not ever deepfrying makes me hesitate.

1 Like

Had a dinner party with some friends, everyone brought a dish and I made apps and paella.

Apps: charcuterie board, shrimp cocktail, Rueben egg rolls and pizza dip and an old family favorite slender James with a bourbon dipping sauce.

Entrees: paella - skirt steak - beef bourguignon w/mashed potatoes. Let’s say the bourguigon and skirt steak were the highlights of the night. My paella while looking pretty was in fact a mess. Soupy and salty to say the least. Thankfully the company made up for the lackluster paella. (shout outs to @BossaNova & @seal)

Desert: over the moon chocolate pie courtesy Mrs Notjr.

21 Likes

Those squash blossoms! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

What a decadent feast! Lucky friends

2 Likes

Stunning absolutely.

Quite a varied and amazing menu.

Have a wonderful evening.

1 Like

Thank you!
Enjoy the rest of your evening as well.

1 Like

Ok well now that I have 10+ likes on my dinner party post, I’m rather surprised nobody called me out on my “prank”. The “slender James appetizer is actually a cut up HUGE Slim Jim my brother in law gave me a few weeks ago. I’ve had the stupid thing laying around staring at me so I decided to pass it off as a Vienna style sausage with a bourbon based hickory dipping sauce. (Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce) I was called out on it by one of my guests. Lol

“Bite into a Slender James” when you want to sound classy!!

11 Likes

I actually did get the joke, and thought it was really funny. I should have said something. I bet it got hoovered up quickly. Did your guests figure it out?

2 Likes

Too funny. I had no idea what you were referring to.

2 Likes

Last night we had some appetizers out followed by a small salad with seared ribeye and oyster mushrooms at home. Tonight we had blackened salmon, COTC, broccoli cheese, and a green salad.

PXL_20210516_221659396~2

16 Likes