What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

We celebrated Beltane tonight with spring lamb - rack of lamb to be specific! Reverse sear method worked beautifully- took about 40 mins at 200 to get to 95 degrees internal, which gave me plenty of leeway to sear without overcooking. I had to put it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the concave side of the bones, then did the remaining browning on the stove top. It reached 135-140 after resting and was absolutely perfectly tender throughout. Mint pesto and charred Brussels sprouts with lemon alongside.

17 Likes

A very happy Mother’s Day to you @Barca! I do hope you enjoy your long weekend, as well - how nice to have an International Women’s Day the Monday following Mother’s Day.

Tomorrow, we will celebrate Greek/Orthodox Easter, and Mother’s Day is the following Sunday. Nice, celebratory times in good weather!

3 Likes

Happy Mother’s Day and Happy International Woman’s Day!

1 Like

Wow! What a gorgeous perfectly cooked rack of lamb!

1 Like

Yesterday the kitchen was occupied. Stuffed grape leaves, a pistachio baklava, and more.

The orchid blooming in that Wardian case has been blooming for at least a month.

Just me and the hubs tonight!
Reverse seared New York strips “to order” (see toothpicks), and the last of the peas, steamed in lettuce, with, I think, a yogurt and goat cheese dressing. Made way for the tomato transplants.

The steaks are prime from Costco, the first in a very long time, and not as nice as I had come to expect.

18 Likes

We enjoyed some excellent takeout, dining alfresco on our deck for the first time this year on this gorgeous day. Below is a link to details and pictures for those that might be interested.

7 Likes

As a nod to the Running of the Roses and my Kentuckian great grandfather, there was a Mint Julep and dinner was bourbon bbq pork tenderloin, black eyed peas and a kilt salad. My pick Midnight Bourbon finished 6th.

Friday night was an encore of the Vietnamese chicken. I am in love with the marinade. I marinated a, what does @lindaWhit call it, ah, Frankenbreast for a few hours and then roasted it to a moist, flavorful piece of heaven. The broccoli carrot slaw was also a big hit. I only ate half of the breast and there were a few martini rocks consumed.

17 Likes

Eggs Benedict

14 Likes

I love going shopping for enjoyment and inspiration.

1 Like

i thought France celebrated Mother´s Day on 1st Sunday of May.

Thanks for correcting … Italy, my error …

Photos at Restaurants: These plates are the plates we have eaten or ate.

Photo Shoots: Normally you can eat the food on these plates however, it depends on project.

1 Like

Thank you.

Best wishes to you too.

Thank you very much,
Have a lovely Sunday.

1 Like

That chicken looks amazing! Could you please reshare the marinade recipe?

1 Like
6 Likes

Not wanting to get too far ahead of myself with my recent GI issues, I opted for a “boring” dinner last night of steamed chicken and broccoli.

No pics.

To drink was the last of my Duke Bourbon, which I love dearly. And since the BF was already in bed because of our conflicting schedules, that meant I got to watch an accompanying John Wayne movie with my John Wayne whiskey. That’s as rare as an eclipse. How this NJ liberal became a JW fan is a long story which I might tell another time! Cheers!

I have a defrosted NY Strip marinating in the fridge right now. I have not had red meat in three weeks and am hoping to stomach it tonight!

14 Likes

FYI

5 Likes

A craving for something from the Wayback Machine hit me yesterday as I was shopping for what to cook for dinner last night, and that craving won out for tonight…Sloppy Joe’s. Or a form thereof.

So that’s WWFD tonight…about 3/4 lb. ground beef and a link of sweet Italian sausage squozen out of its casing (yes, I know it’s not traditional) was sauteed with diced onion and red bell pepper and drained. Added back to the saute pan and stirred in one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, 2 Tbsp of BBQ sauce, 1 Tbsp of tomato paste, 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 tsp dry ground mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper.

Stirred it all together and let it simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Served it on a lightly toasted Brioche bun, with deviled eggs and a potato salad with minced celery and chopped egg and a honey-mustard-tarragon dressing alongside.

And wine. Overall, not bad.

17 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ. Below is a link to details and pictures for those that might be interested.

3 Likes

Holy cow. You know my taco bell supreme night with the spice packet and their shells . Yes the way back machine. It’s so good.

3 Likes

Freezer dive NY Strip (cast iron sear; soy sauce, olive oil, dry vermouth, Montreal steak seasoning marinade) over Trader Joe’s asparagus risotto. Can hardly call this cooking. While I enjoyed the flavor of the risotto, it was a little too “loose” and I needed to add a decent amount of Pecorino Romano for flavor, salt content, and solidity. It certainly helped. I’ve never done a frozen rice before and I guess I would do this again-- I have a bag of their mushroom risotto in the freezer from a recent visit last week.

To drink: Chopin vodka on the rocks.

14 Likes
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold