What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Absolutely gaw-juss!

1 Like

I use a pizza steel (mine is actually cast iron, but potato, potahto), no parchment required. You shouldn’t need parchment with a stone either - the dough should release easily from the cooking surface once it is properly browned. I prefer metal because it transfers heat to the dough much more quickly than stone.

1 Like

For myself and H, we find it easier to make the pizza on the parchment, then transfer to the heated pizza stone. Sometimes H gets daring and does it without. A pizza peel can be helpful with this @biondanonima. But if you don’t need those, so much the better.

2 Likes

Yes, without a peel it is definitely easier to transfer the pizza to the hot stone on parchment. I use this peel instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLS8LLE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_GFTV4BW26F2T43K97KG2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Very nice @biondanonima!

Omsom.com spicy bulgoi.

11 Likes

i would totally try that one! Did you like it?

Frenchie butcher had Provencal-herbed, spatchcocked chicken, so i bought one. Skin was extra crispalicious, and even the breast meat was super juicy. we tried to get the fingerlings and Nantes carrots to roast in the drippings, but all the juices kinda stayed trapped under the skin until i ripped it off and and laid waste to it. Salad with Marie’s blue cheese.

14 Likes

Beautiful!

Those oysters look amazing! And the pictures remind me of a place in Lisbon!

BRB.

Okay, not really.

4 Likes

and i tried this last night: The Fancy Free. I used amarena cherries from Trader Joe’s because that’s what I had on hand.

But the conversation here made me search into the depths of my bar and I found my Luxardo. Can’t remember when i bought it, but I guess i haven’t been using it much, it was pretty full!

i think i was supposed to use orange bitters, but i forgot and used Peychaud’s, along with the Angostura.

10 Likes

Beautiful pictures and sounds!

1 Like

Probably. I didn’t really eat much. I’m sort of “over” food lately. Hope I get my juju back soon. I am enjoying the garden though.

This kit was my last card tonight. The kit was for pork shoulder, and I had two small packages of something labeled beef short rib. It looked nice,like the “boneless short rib” at Costco. One package was chunks, and one “flanken”. I gave the flanken to husband, and he “suffered it”, but wasn’t a fan of the cut. I ate a bit of thechunks, but it wasn’t working rare, so I’m still cooking it, like a braise. Hmmmm…

The marinade is “fine”, but somehow different, maybe more packaged taking than when I spend forever making the marinade from scratch. I’d buy it again if it included toasted sesame seeds.

2 Likes

Indian tonight.

• Pan-fried shrimp marinated with ginger, garlic, chilli, cumin, and salt and crusted with semolina
  • Aloo gobhi (cauliflower with potatoes)
  • Peas (paneer matar prep, just no paneer)
  • (Red masoor) Dal fry
  • GF parathas for the kids

I ate too much. I’ve come to the realization (for a while now) that with meat/seafood AND dal, we only need one vegetable - the second one only needs to exist if the vegetarians want it.

The GF parathas were really quite excellent, if I do say so myself :smile:

14 Likes

What I have learned from my Kenmore electric oven that came with the house . Pizza stone upper third rack in the oven . Says it goes to 500 degrees. It limps up to 475 . Heat this temp for a hour . . Turn high broil on for 25 minutes
I’m seeing 525 on the oven thermometer. Pizza on the stone . Around 7 minutes.

1 Like

Never heard of it but looks like a different take on the Manhattan or an Old Fashioned.

Did I ever tell the history of this masterpiece? I know I didn’t have a pic last time. We started out wanting veggie subs, but then BF needed to put bacon on it and I caved in as well. So then we figured on BLT subs, but we didn’t have lettuce. I therefore give you the “Garbage” Sub. An absolute fridge dive with bacon, tomato, onion, roasted red peppers, black olives, mozzarella, and spinach. It works!

There was no booze tonight, but looking at that @mariacarmen creation makes me wish I made something!

16 Likes

Agreed. I also recently picked up a bottle of High West Double Rye, which is really good. I think it was a few dollars more, but I’m really digging it.

1 Like

Yup. I use the parchment paper to be able to slide the pizza on and off the stone. I don’t have a pizza peel (and would probably shove the damn pizza off the stone into the bottom of my oven anyway!), so the parchment paper works perfectly for me! The light oiling also gives a slight edge on crisping up the bottom of the pizza. As I’m stretching out the dough on the paper, it gets lightly oiled all over as I flip the dough a couple of times before I get it to “stay” where I want it to, like a good pizza puppy. LOL

5 Likes

Torre de Belém!

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: