What's for Dinner #67 - the It's Been A YEAR Since This All Started! Edition - March 2021

Did you bake each pita individually in that cast iron pan? That must take ages. And you appear to have an enormous area for rolling out dough.

3 Likes

Finally got a chance to cook for a change tonight. Work has been busy and not allowing me to leave in time to cook so a nice home cooked meal is a welcome change.

Pork chops pan seared and finished in a honey bourbon reduction. Sides red cabbage with bacon and pears and truffle parmigiana smashed potatoes.

Yummmmm if I do say so myself.

20 Likes

I did, yes. Not that long - 18 min total (3 min ea).

We used our longest counter.

4 Likes

Those potatoes :star_struck:

Frenchy butcher had Korean short ribs, aka galbi. I thought I was buying the pork bulgogi from last week and was going to make tacos. But, because of the bones, i just seared and stuck them under the broiler for a minute, alongside kimchi rice (my chopped kimchi and gochuchang mixed in while cooking) and avo with pickled shallots. avo & pickled shallots got mixed into the rice at the table. such a good combo of textures and flavors.

19 Likes

Chinese tonight, of dubious provenance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pan-fried yellowtail with sesame oil - fish needed to be cooked, so it was.
Indo-Chinese Manchurian sauce for the rest of the proteins:

• Chicken meatballs
  • Beyond burger meatballs
  • Tofu
    Sautéed mushrooms with ginger and scallions, slightly saucy.
    Broccoli with garlic - hit of the night, because it was delicate and cooked just right.
    Green beans - with more garlic (not made by me).
    Brown rice-quinoa mix (from a packet) for some.

Quite a satisfying dinner (for me, unlike last night’s).

19 Likes

I tried making New Orleans BBQ shrimp for dinner using this recipe from Mr. B’s Bistro:

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php

Despite the name there is no BBQ or grill involved. There is a lot of butter involved however. Quite simple to make and it came out pretty well even though my shrimp weren’t quite jumbo.

Bread for sopping up the sauce - no butter needed.

Broccolini.

And a sazerac, natch.

21 Likes

@LindaWhit

We cannot wait to travel once again within Spain and to Italy.

Still waiting for our vaccine appointments. It is still slow motion …

Food: we have approached the beginning of our green season. I am very salad focused year round. We have approx 18 - 22 degrees centigrade daily. So, we do enjoy sitting on a terrace and just relaxing. It is hard to feed a gentleman just a salad, and some shellfish. He needs a full meal be it meat or fish and a vegetable and a starter, he is Italian and he enjoys his pasta and his risotto.

We are not in a “red” lockdown zone and however, there are restrictions on travelling inter - region.

We are hoping that there is an end to this in 2021.

Best wishes during these challenging times.

8 Likes

Wonderful Pita !

1 Like

Thank you! I accidentally overfermented them, but they were still the best part of the meal.

2 Likes

Today turkey burgers! I make these: Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers. But tomorrow I’m making artichoke spinach soup with parmesan and cheese ravioli. Probably just toast some sliced french bread, slap some butter on them, and call it carb heaven.

4 Likes

The pita breads look delicious …

Practice makes perfect !!

1 Like

19 Likes

I like the top picture. You aren’t a structural engineer by chance?

2 Likes

Busy day, quick dinner. Beer battered fish, slaw, broccoli with roasted garlic oil, tots, and romesco mayo. Easy peasy.

15 Likes

It’s been a minute since we were last shopping, so dinner was a pantry dive. Tortilla espanola with some jarred roasted peppers that I marinated for a bit in garlic, oil, and vinegar.

14 Likes

Wasn’t sure how I wanted to cook the chicken when I got home later than I wanted from work, but a Mom recipe quickly came to the rescue: Chicken Diable.

2 Tbsp melted butter, then 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup brown mustard, 1 tsp curry powder and s/p all whisked in, chicken pieces rolled in the blend, then baked at 350° for 40 minutes, spooning the sauce over top 2x.

Basmati rice and steamed green beans alongside. And yeah. There was a glass of wine.

19 Likes

Speedy dinner assembly tonight.

The remaining frozen wings from super bowl Sunday, tossed in a korean sauce (from the book Koreatown, and actually meant for chicken feet).

Roasted Brussels sprouts, sautéed baby spinach with garlic, and mexican-ish corn (esquites).

Kids had quesadillas. SIL had GF aloo parathas that I made yesterday.

Really quite delicious for a very last-minute meal.

18 Likes

Ha Ha ! No not quite …

Though I am a grand fan of architecture … And art of plate dressage.
There is an old adage: We eat with our eyes …

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Very lovely recipe … And photos.

1 Like