What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Mmmm! i want your dinner instead of mine tonight!

and i love TPSTO Chives!

2 Likes

The recipe made 10 crepes; we polished off 4 tonight! It was nice and light.

1 Like

beautiful! i will try that with thighs very soon.

Haha your dinner looks delicious. I’ve tried making Hasselbeck potatoes before once (I think using the same recipe from SeriousEats) and it came out a little plain. I think I needed to use more cream and/or butter and/or cheese.

1 Like

i agree. And Hasselbacks themselves are always underwhelming!

Beef veg soup with israeli couscous. Using up 6 roasts I bought on sale at WF, a little at a time!

15 Likes

All of that looks and sounds delicious!

Re hasseback gratin - when I saw that, my thought was “looks so pretty but I that’s not going to as good as ugly scalloped potatoes” :joy: - probably because I like my scalloped potatoes soft, creamy, starchy, mingled.

I’ve wondered about buttermilk brining - Samin or otherwise - why waste so much buttermilk? Wouldn’t the tenderizing happen even with just enough rubbed on, like for indian marinades that have a little yogurt for the same reason? Or like how dry brining works as well as wet? Just things I ponder when there are “wasted” ingredients that have to be dumped.

4 Likes

Tonight was a mish mosh. Kids had pizza and broccoli. I made myself cacio e pepe that ended up too salty. Another adult had sweet potato patties (tikkis) with chickpeas. And the last had shrimp and roasted cauliflower.

Here’s a pic of my dessert - choc chip cookies from dough balls I froze a while back. There were 4. I couldn’t wait so I ate half before I stopped to take the pic. That kind of evening.

Happy weekend!

11 Likes

Thighs would be even better, but boneless given the short bake time. Otherwise orzo will soak up most of the stock while the chicken is cooking and might not create even sauce. The orzo is like a sponge.

2 Likes

Per the recipe. Yep . Should just be a guideline. Pretty much all the recipes I followed had a 79 Percent failure rate . I just look at the ingredients. Adjust . Throw away the cooking time .

3 Likes

FWIW, I like buttermilk-brining pork chops. I end up with juicy chops I can cook through and that brown nicely. To me, the chops don’t require an outrageous amount of buttermilk.

I buttermilk-brined a turkey breast for Thanksgiving, using Samin’s directions, and truthfully wasn’t a fan of the finished product. Even though I remain a fan of Samin.

Although I have a convection oven, the turkey skin didn’t crisp and brown to my liking. The flavor of the meat was just meh, even though the bird was locally raised (source yielded a pleasing result in the past). For me, not a a good use of buttermilk.

I’d been wanting to try Samin’s buttermilk-brined chicken forever but the results from the Thanksgiving turkey breast changed my mind. Probably buttermilk-brining pork chops makes me happier—as opposed to buttermilk-brining poultry with skin—because the buttermilk makes plenty of contact with the meat itself.

5 Likes

I’m glad to find out it isn’'t just me then! The recipe sounds great but I’ve made them twice with lackluster results.

2 Likes

Those are cool twists on southern favorites!

1 Like

Oh darn. I’ve been eating them wrong. I love savory “crêpes” and don’t love buckwheat. :smirk:

Love this post. You nailed the likes & dislikes of WFH.

I also made a WFH home grilled cheese lunch this week. And! that’s a mouthwatering bone-in pork chop u made for dinner!

2 Likes

Never tried it with turkey, but that’s what I do with chicken thighs. :heart: So much better than pouring mole on top of cooked chicken breasts.

2 Likes

Looks sooo good!

2 Likes

FARMERS MARKET TODAY @ MAKRO, A PROFESSIONAL SHOPPING SERVICE OF FARMERS MARKETS. NOW I HAVE TO SEE WHAT I WILL DO FOR DINNER AND FOR SUNDAY LUNCH.

12 Likes

I was very excited to try it as well, but found it meh on chicken. Not flavorful at all.

3 Likes

^ You saying this makes me feel so much better. I am released from my lingering FOMO. :blush:

2 Likes