What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

This was SO nice of you. :star_struck:

And I love how organized it all is, no guessing, simple instructions.

And the kicker - drinks and dessert too!

Such thoughtfulness, @ChristinaM :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Paging @Mr_Happy @mariacarmen and anyone else who knows - if I buy whole, cooked Dungeness crab from Costco or Whole Foods - what do I need to do with it when it gets home?

Assume it is not cleaned? So the outer shell, guts, etc need to be dealt with? Any tips / suggestions?

Thank you!

1 Like

We have it too :slight_smile:
I agree, the stand is hard to use.

1 Like

Aw, well, thank you.

You can eat pre cooked Dungeness crabs as is cold, or you can also warm them up by say steaming for a few minutes if you prefer.

I found this video to be helpful that shows how to crack and clean a Dungeness crab:

Mind your fingers when smacking the shell!

3 Likes

We just steam to warm them up and then begin taking them apart with crab crackers, eating from the legs, claws and top of the clusters as we go. We deal with shell last - my sister throws hers away, but i like the crab butter, myself, which i typically just spoon into my mouth from the shell. i’ve never rinsed! i know, i’m a barbarian. I do get rid of the gills.

2 Likes

Very helpful, thanks.

I grew up eating crabs cooked from live, which are boiled and then cleaned like this - but I never watched. I like the tip on cracking the claws as prep - makes for easier eating at the table,

1 Like

I love moqueca but I’ve never tried it at home (close to my home, in east Cambridge, there used to be a thriving Brazilian pocket of restaurants and bars). I actually don’t know how many are still standing.

Thank you - I’m going to try to recreate it at home soon.

3 Likes

We ate once at Oasis Brazilian Restaurant in Medford. I cannot recommend it because of the noise level, but they may do delivery.

1 Like

Thanks @digga.

There are more complex recipes than this but not really as it’s actually simpler to make than all that great flavor suggests.

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 lb fresh salmon, cut into smaller pieces
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 small white onion, sliced
  • 1-2 pickled serrano pepper thinly sliced (forgot to add in my previous post)
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk, full fat
  • 1/2 whole green pepper, round slices
  • 1 pinch sea salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro or parsley

Note: I substituted pickled serranos for the peppers and pepper sauces (brined biquinho pepper, bode pepper, dedo de or moca, malagueta peppers) not readily available at most markets, so this was not completely traditional but yummy just the same.

Instructions:

• Start by heating the oil in a cast iron skillet. Add in garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant 2-3 minutes, stir in peppers and pepper sauce. Then add tomato sauce and coconut milk, and quickly stir. Let this simmer for another 2-3 minutes.

• Meanwhile slice the bell pepper and set aside.

• Arrange the salmon pieces in cast iron allowing the broth to surround the salmon.

• Top with bell peppers and season to taste. You can cover the skillet if you like but you don’t have to. Cook for 10 minutes then carefully turn the salmon (I seared the salmon for a couple minutes then rested it in the sauce for further cooking).

• At this point you can add the fresh cilantro and/or parsley and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until salmon is cooked through and internal temperature is 145F degrees.

• Serve over white rice, potatoes or w/crusty bread.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Bookmarked! So many things I want to try.

1 Like

I made it once with red palm oil, which some article or blog or another insisted was essential. I didn’t care for the taste. But I wasn’t using Brazilian palm oil, and I’m sure quality and flavor vary.

I liked it better made without.

2 Likes

I saw one recipe with palm oil too! Lol. Thanks for the warning.

1 Like

I have been thinking about it also . With a cool name like Salisbury steak . I will be making it this week . Perfect for the snow and rain .

2 Likes

I’m sorry I missed this @celeryvictor - I was having a bad adventure around that time, but all ok now.
Thanks for the compliment on the stifado! Of course I’ll share the recipe. I created a Greek eating and drinking thread, so will post to that. The recipe came our way by my late FIL, after he was widowed, and it’s a good one. Just give me a day or two, and you’ll see it.

I do share your love of alliums, and can’t wait for the Walla Walla sweet onion harvest this year.

1 Like