What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Tsardusted pork tenderloin, roasted in the oven at 350° until done. Served with Spicy Plum Ketchup, Israeli couscous and steamed asparagus. Wine.

And chocolate-white chocolate chip cookies for dessert, although most will go in to work tomorrow.

21 Likes

Turkey lettuce wraps and steamed broccoli with oyster sauce and sesame oil. Hit the spot.

19 Likes

Yum! What do you add to the turkey?

i’m not a sweet drink person either, but that sounds amazing. I went to Manhattan back in 2002, i think, and we went to some restaurant that had two things I remember vividly: 1) see-through bathroom stalls (all glass stalls, that would “fog up” once you were inside and become “one-way”, but you could still see people from the inside!), and 2) chocolate martinis. I’d never heard of them at that time, and they were like $20 apiece and fantastic.

friends of mine rave about Pat LaFrieda beef. Someday i’ll splurge and have some shipped to me…

oh and still inspired by you, but I ran out of limes the other night, so I made this instead. the mandarin half just got plunked in and eaten afterwards. yum.

9 Likes

Last night we had chinese takeout - yummy. Chicken corn soup, young chow fried rice, beef with ginger and scallions, and kung pao chicken,

Today I wasn’t very hungry, so made a tiny 1-egg quiche for a late lunch (of which I ate 1/4) and used up the last of the idli/dosa batter to make dhoklas (steamed rice/lentil cakes - breakfast or snack) to feed the freezer (for nephew) while waiting for the quiche to bake.

Dinner was complicated by not wanting to eat what I had planned (fish) and Alston not wanting to eat what others were eating (pasta). I finally did eat pasta - but with a twist. I made meat sauce for sibling by sautéing ground beef and then heating through with Rao’s. BUT for myself, I used the dry sautéed ground beef and leftover labne from the weekend to make turkish-style pasta with yogurt sauce a la my favorite neighborhood place - garlic, fresh mint from the garden, spices, roasted walnuts. Ok YUM! (I really hope the place survives this pandemic…)

14 Likes

First time making chiles rellenos. I was always so in awe of them, they’re such a favorite Mexican food of mine. We saw a Chef John video where he made a chili relleno “pancake”, and I said no way, i’m going to make them the “right way” for my first try.

Success! Batter was fluffy, salsa roja tasted exactly right, the texture on the peppers was good, cheese was all melty, nothing fell apart, etc. Mexi-rice came out really good too. Salad was just leftovers from take-out with an oregano vinaigrette I made.

Used Oaxacan cheese for the chiles, kind of like a cross between string cheese and jack. And one of the chiles was stuffed with chorizo and cheese, for the BF - delicious too. We were both really happy with this dinner.

20 Likes

Stifado looks lovely! Alliums are my favorite thing, so this is right up my alley. Do you have a recipe?

wait, that tall thing is a quiche?? it’s amazing looking!

i’d never heard of a coppa steak before, just googled it. it looks so juicy!

1 Like

Haha yeah - thanks!

Thomas Keller’s quiche recipe goes in a springform and is tall - much more filling to crust (and a light custard because the liquid ratio is kinda crazy).

Trickier, but tasty!

2 Likes

Burgers and fries

11 Likes

I remember as a kid hearing about chocolate martini’s and them being all the rage (much like the Cosmopolitan-- probably same time period). Then as I got older, both faded away from the limelight. And yeah, chocolate martini’s always tend to be a little more excessively priced and I do not know why. Most feature Godiva chocolate liqueur which I really think is popular only because of the name. Seriously, who do you know that actually loves the stuff? Personally, I’ve found that Trader Vic’s Chocolate Liqueur and a little heavy cream gets the job done. I like having Vic’s around because not being cream-based it is a little more versatile. I’ve even made chocolate Manhattan’s with it.

How is the Hendrick’s Midsummer?

3 Likes

Last night’s dinner was another homerun. BF has made Mexican-style pulled chicken several times and we normally use it on homemade nachos. Not feeling like doing all that frying (and ingesting all that grease) we stuck to using it in tacos. I enjoyed it even more than I did on the nachos. Bursting with flavor and complimented very well by various accouterments: cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, avocado, raw red onion, and a little spritz of lime. We didn’t realize we were out of cilantro until it was too late.

16 Likes

What spices did you use?

1 Like

Thanks! I adapted a recipe by Barbara Schieving:

1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil (I used just spray)
1 pound ground turkey, chicken or beef (no additional oil needed if using beef)
3 scallions, chopped into 1" lengths
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger paste/minced ginger
1 cup chicken broth
2-3 Tbsp Chinese sweet bean paste
3 Tbsp rice wine
1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
3-4 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar (optional, but I think it needs a little sweetening up)
1/2 cup white rice
1 large rib celery, finely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped/shredded
1 can water chestnuts, drained and diced
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
Pinch white pepper
1 tablespoon (8 g) cornstarch
1 tablespoon (15 ml) cold water

Brown the meat and aromatics and add everything but the cornstarch and water slurry. 4 min high pressure, 10 min rest then QPR. Add cornstarch mixture to thicken.

The rice in this recipe keeps it from being too sloppy.

3 Likes

I love this. We do similar but without walnuts. I include a plain, buttery tomato sauce, too.

1 Like

Fan-something-tastic! :star_struck:

I stayed out of the way on this one, but he marinated two chicken breasts with the “usuals” in terms of what you would think of Mexican spices. Each breast was then seared on each side until almost charred, removed, pulled, and simmered in leftover marinade and chicken stock. There was also a little bit of sugar which really made a difference. I will get you the specifics tonight!

1 Like

The place I love uses small chunks of lamb, chopped walnuts for texture, and a lot of allspice. I think the allspice we have is old…

Also thought belatedly that caramelized onions would have been nice - a bit of sweetness.

I could only eat half my plate, so maybe I’ll have the rest with tomato sauce on the side.

They also make amazing zucchini fritters (coated in vermicelli) and mini lahmacun - my fave.

3 Likes

Thanks, Greg.

1 Like