What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Sounds like a very special and fun evening!

1 Like

I think I tried this the first time when I was making arugula and fennel salad, in which I love orange segments, but I didn’t have an orange…

1 Like

Certainly not the most photographic photo but man this cauliflower was amazing!!! Ny strip, roasted broccoli and this awesome cauliflower. Followed a recipe from the latest milk street mag. Make a paste/thick sauce from sun dried tomatoes, cilantro, almonds, cumin, pumpkin seeds Ave jalapeno. Massage it on the cauliflower and bake at high heat. Side is more of that paste with sour cream and lime. Yummmmmmmmm!

16 Likes

That cauliflower sounds and looks delicious. I bet that rub would be really good on chicken.

2 Likes

So so so good. I’m really to slather it on anything!

11 Likes

SAME. We recently discovered that our local Frank Pepe’s (of New Haven, CT fame) delivers to our side of town and we were delighted to enjoy their meat lover’s (loaded with their housemade meatballs, sausage, pepperoni and bacon) with a nice Italian red blend last night, from the comfort of our own home.

9 Likes

So this weekend I made a gingered carrot soup, inspiration from @Rooster Dan. I had some beautiful ginger, and homemade chicken stock. It is a light and delicious soup!

17 Likes

@heidicooksandbakes, your soup looks terrific. Happy to read you enjoyed it. Perfect winter soup!

Fun meal! Great to be with family and friends!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

That looks so good. I love the vibrant color.

1 Like

Valentine’s dinner: paella with chorizo and clams with swordfish slathered in garlic, pimenton, etc. I was planning to cook it with the paella but didn’t want it to get overcooked, decided to do it separately and serve alongside. Kids don’t prefer swordfish, so they had salmon in a similar prep.

Our Friday night pizza making tradition was slightly modified for the holiday – heart shaped pizzas for the kids. and yes, I snipped the turkey pepperoni into heart shapes.

21 Likes

i have almost everything to make that rub… sound amazing…

1 Like

Oh, those pepperoni look so cute! Great idea!!

Not exactly cooking but I did “make” dinner. Here we have oven roasted turkey, Italian roast beef, mayonnaise, hot pepper relish, tomatoes, lettuce and onion. All on a beautiful fresh loaf of sliced round Italian bread.

17 Likes

Baked my first basque cheesecake earlier and pureed some strawberries and that’s WFD Monday.

Happy dance that it worked out. Dense and creamy.

22 Likes

Leftoverpalooza tonight. I had the last of the eggplant parm and a choc chip cookie, and will probably have a little chicken and lentils in a bit.

5 Likes

I believe Costco sells the Ling ling version? I’ve tried them as samples and thought they were only ok. I really enjoy the frozen dumplings made by Ajinomoto if you Heidi and Greg have them accessible. I get them at my Asian groceries, and a typical price would be $10 for a family size that contains about 40.

2 Likes

Costco has two versions: Ling Ling ($11.99) which is available everywhere and another brand for $9.99 (the one we bought) that I cannot remember-- will look when I get home. It is organic though.

The one we bought said “7 dumplings per serving, 10 servings per bag” which would mean 70 dumplings. Now that we’re almost through, I don’t think it was 70 but it definitely seemed like more than 50. Insane amount for the price when you consider most takeout places charge $6-7 for eight pieces.

This brand offer several varieties: chicken and veggie (ours), pork and veggie, and chicken and cilantro. The Hazlet location was out of all except the last on our visit two days ago.

We’re cooking Asian again tonight. Do I dare cook up the rest???

1 Like

My favorite from Ajinomoto is the beef filling. But they have a chicken-pork, a seafood, and a veg. I’ll have to look out for the not LingLing, which I didn’t love. The other might be ok.

1 Like