What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Love your chili con carne!

Do you calculate all your meals?

2 Likes

A few errands today. Including my quarterly visit to Home Goods. Their Clearance Aisle sometimes reveals some goodies you’ve been looking for…OR something you didn’t know you needed. :wink:

Tonight’s dinner was what I had planned for dinner last night. But we had an impromptu Friday Afternoon Libations and Scooby Snack Gathering for the 8 of us who are in the office on a daily basis. Something we haven’t done since (I think) our potluck before our Christmas Yankee Swap in 2019. :disappointed_relieved: it was WAY overdue. So dinner last night was a leftover tortellini throw-together.

Tonight was Chicken Stroganoff over egg noodles with buttered peas and corn alongside. There was wine. It is, after all, a three day weekend. Not that that’s stopped me before.

14 Likes

I gotta tell you I honestly chuckle to myself as I scroll through the updates on the beautiful meals and pictures I see. I have ZERO artistic abilities combined with limited tech-knowledge finished with the attention span of Dory. {{what am I posting about??))

Ohhhhh dinner was Asian themed some fried rice, lo mein and pepper steak, I didn’t embarrass myself.

20 Likes

Happy pre valentine’s day everyone. We had these lovely oysters and scallops later. I feel extra emotional as I think about last year. I felt so light and carefree and that quickly fell out. I hope you all have lots of love and oysters in 2021.

19 Likes

Looks wonderful. Happy Valentine’s day to you too.

2 Likes

Bolognese. The kids and I made fresh fettucine for the sauce with that old timey rolley thing. It snowed all day, so a hot bowl of pasta seemed apropos.

17 Likes

Yes, perfect dinner for a snow day - it looks good! 13 inches in the South Sound - what about your area @Sasha?

1 Like

Damn someone has mad oyster shucking skills, those look perfect.

5 Likes

Maybe they are a Mother Shucker!

4 Likes

My pleasure.
Mrs. P just wants to mention that she didn’t like the coffee whipped cream recipe. She used Medaglia D’Oro espresso instant coffee instead for more of a coffee flavor.

2 Likes

Much less - about 4" total so far. Maybe 5? But it hasn’t stopped and won’t stop. My “little” had an outdoor club outing scheduled from 3-8pm! Fortunately, they cancelled it about noon. Not because of conditions for being outside (they are outside the entire time), but because they felt the roads might be unsafe for travel! That’s why we had the time to do a little sledding and then come home and make pasta. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting! Whatcom County usually sees the worst of it, but as you said, it’s not over. Do enjoy - I’m loving it, but don’t have to go anywhere, fortunately.

Only in periods where one/both of us needs to cut back :laughing:

1 Like

We enjoyed another fabulous socially distanced dinner at our friend’s house. We enjoyed an awesome Brooklyn egg with bacon, cheese, truffle oil, topped with a panko fried quince paste baton; pork loin topped with tomato dressing containing mushrooms and onions, and served over spinach salad; air fried panko shrimp with BBQ/honey sauce; pasta with leek sauce; black bean burrito; potato cheddar soup with pickled jalapeno and frizzled leeks; crispy buffalo cauliflower; and a mascarpone cream cheese and vanilla crepe topped with smoked maple syrup and blueberries (not pictured). We also enjoyed some amazing wines highlighted by a 2007 Jordan cabernet.

14 Likes

We were planning on cooking tonight. BF was going to make chicken and broccoli. I wanted to surprise him with some sushi for an appetizer via Uber Eats for pre Valentine’s Day since we have no idea what we’re doing tomorrow. Halfway through eating our sushi app (we thankfully did not start cooking since it would be quick), we both decided we were too full to go on with a full meal. So even though we had everything ready, we put it on hold. Worst case scenario I’ll use the veggies in a salad or roast them, and freeze the chicken. Nothing will go to waste.

We did however cook up some Costco dumplings (for the 85th day in a row it seems…).

Anyway: 1) Route 35 roll with shrimp tempura, eel, avocado, and tobiko wrapped in soybean paper. 2) Twin Lobster roll with lobster, avocado, and cucumber, topped with lobster salad. 3) Eel and avocado roll.

To drink: several Jack Daniel’s and Gosling ginger beers.

19 Likes

I’ll tell my husband! He said they were very challenging to open!

1 Like

What a lovely wish.

Happy Valentine’s to you and yours. And to all here on Hungry Onion.

8 Likes

Nice bar glass!

2 Likes

Kids and I on our own last night.

They wanted pasta, easy peasy. One with butter and parm, the other with doctored Rao’s. Beyond meatballs for both (one set stewed in the Rao’s).

Sides of steamed broccoli plus braised spinach from the other day.

I was going to make shrimp scampi for myself, but then went rogue. Took my capellini and turned it into hakka noodles a la any divey Indian Chinese joint. Coleslaw mix was the inspiration and shortcut I needed!

Pan-fried shrimp alongside (marinated in chilli flakes, salt, garlic, and lime zest yesterday).

I added broccoli to the same pan, which made it deglaze the bits left from the shrimp, and that was so good!

All in all, a very successful unplanned meal.

Post dinner plans were prep and plotting for a surprise V-day dinner for my sibling & spouse, executed by the kids. I suggested the idea and they jumped on it.

The menu has come together nicely, and will be easy for them to do with minor assistance (but full supervision) from me. Arugula salad, IP risotto, stuffed mushrooms, steak, and molten chocolate cake.

We made the dessert batter, prepped all the vegetables, and marinated the steak and sealed it up for cooking sous vide tomorrow, all while the parents were out - so that was a fortuitous turn!

Fingers crossed for smooth execution tonight.

20 Likes

Wonderful planning idea.

2 Likes