What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Leftoverpalooza tonight. I had the last of the eggplant parm and a choc chip cookie, and will probably have a little chicken and lentils in a bit.

5 Likes

I believe Costco sells the Ling ling version? I’ve tried them as samples and thought they were only ok. I really enjoy the frozen dumplings made by Ajinomoto if you Heidi and Greg have them accessible. I get them at my Asian groceries, and a typical price would be $10 for a family size that contains about 40.

2 Likes

Costco has two versions: Ling Ling ($11.99) which is available everywhere and another brand for $9.99 (the one we bought) that I cannot remember-- will look when I get home. It is organic though.

The one we bought said “7 dumplings per serving, 10 servings per bag” which would mean 70 dumplings. Now that we’re almost through, I don’t think it was 70 but it definitely seemed like more than 50. Insane amount for the price when you consider most takeout places charge $6-7 for eight pieces.

This brand offer several varieties: chicken and veggie (ours), pork and veggie, and chicken and cilantro. The Hazlet location was out of all except the last on our visit two days ago.

We’re cooking Asian again tonight. Do I dare cook up the rest???

1 Like

My favorite from Ajinomoto is the beef filling. But they have a chicken-pork, a seafood, and a veg. I’ll have to look out for the not LingLing, which I didn’t love. The other might be ok.

1 Like

I have been participating in a weekly program on Israeli culture and cuisine, hosted by Michael Solomonov, one of my favorite chefs. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, one of my favorite soups is the Yemenite beef soup I first had in Israel and, coincidentally, his focus on the night I made my soup was Yemenite Soup!! His version was with chicken and needless to say I had to make it.

The traditional accompaniments are: 1) Hilbeh, fenugreek thickener mixed with dill and scallions. Fenugreek has a distinctive flavor described as pungent maple syrup. It is used as a thickener by people who keep kosher as it can be added to meat dishes when dairy products are restricted. I am not sure I am a fan; 2) Schug (or zhoug, or one of several other spellings) is a condiment made with chiles, parsley, cilantro and various spices. I usually buy TJ’s but made my own this time, and will continue to make my own going forward; and 3) Lachuch, a spongy, pancake-like bread similar to injera. I followed the recipes in Solomonov’s book Zahav, his flagship restaurant in Philadelphia.

17 Likes

Since we dined out on Valentine’s Day, Mrs. P prepared a decadent post Valentine’s Day dinner of lobster Thermidor. We bought 4 nice lobster tails at Costco. We also had some crab stuffed mushrooms purchased from my Chef friend. It all went great with an awesome French red blend. It wasn’t easy, but I only ate half, and saved some for another dinner. The crispy cheese topping was amazing.

20 Likes

I like the Ling Ling chicken vegetable dumplings from Costco.

The Bibigo ones all have vermicelli - I don’t love that… though there’s a beef bulgogi dumpling I’ve been meaning to try.

TJ’s dumplings are my go-to in non-pandemic times - 1 lb bag is the right size for my my freezer, and equivalent to Costco price.

1 Like

A little bit of fenugreek flavor goes a long way…

So cool about your class!

We got about 15 inches of snow here @Sasha - truly beautiful and we’ve enjoyed! Haven’t had snow like this for a few years… hope you have your power!

We’ve been going to the Asian market for dumplings the last couple of months. Hardly any English on the bags. A truly great variety of all kinds (love the pork/leek and shrimp/asparagus). They get ~$7.99 a bag which yield about 20. Still a good value especially with the different fillings to choose from.

The Costco ones are probably more “Americanized” for lack of a better term, but they were really good and just cannot beat that value. Even when we order Chinese takeout (which is once a week) we skip dumplings from them and fry our own.

2 Likes

I’m salivating looking at that!

1 Like

@MsBean - your soup looks fantastic, and how fun to participate in that! Tell me, does he have the recipe for this in either of his cookbooks? Oops - never mind, I saw the rest of the post. In any case, thanks for posting & the rec to make your own zhoug.

1 Like

After a truly crappy, disappointing delivery lunch I was pleased with a homey dinner that really hit the spot. garlic and rosemary roasted chicken breasts (bone in), a big sheet pan of roasted veggies – baby new potatoes, rainbow carrots and cauliflower; and some sheet pan gnocchi with shallots and roasted broccoli. that was a riff on a NYT recipe involving leeks and asparagus, neither of which i had. and subbed cauliflower gnocchi. it wasn’t a smash hit, but i’ll chalk that up to all of the alterations.

11 Likes

Here they are:

3 Likes

They’re very good! They are smaller, with thinner wrappers than the Ling Ling, in my experience.

1 Like

Wow!

1 Like

Chinese takeout? Not tonight! BF continued his string of excellent Asian cooking with the Chinese-American classic chicken and broccoli (in garlic sauce). The broccoli was toasted on high heat in a dry pan before being removed and added back in again at the end with the sauce. This brought out its flavor, gave it a slight crispness, and ensured it did not turn to mush. The sauce contained light and dark soy sauces, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, white pepper, chicken stock, and a couple of crushed dried red chilis for a little heat. Once again it was thickened with arrowroot instead of corn starch-- a big difference.

17 Likes

Made Turkish eggs yet again, this time for dinner so the BF could try them. He loved them! of course, had to add some sausage for him to make it a “complete” meal. This time, with roasted shrooms, red peppers, spring onions, and cherry tomatoes.

18 Likes

i did exactly the same - bought TJ’s zhoug once, fell in love, and I’ve been making my own ever since. it’s so good, so easy, and keeps for weeks and weeks!

What fun re the class!

1 Like

We had special delivery pizza that was for V day but arrived a day late, and pies that did arrive yesterday but were saved for tonight.

We had butter lettuce salad and steamed broccoli on the side.

Since there was no real dinner cooking, I made a batch of kababs for the freezer, using ground turkey. Two flavors, my grandmother’s recipe and seekh kabab.

12 Likes