What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Happy Lunar New Year. I am an ox so I celebrated with pork noodle soup, pot stickers and there was oolong tea with a slash of orange liqueur for afters.IMG_2756

17 Likes

my sister’s been listening to the Chang podcast and loving it. I have weirdly not listened to any of my regular podcasts since the lockdown started…

i love oxtail, will have to try something like this soon, as this is my year - ox girl here! your dish looks wonderful… did you have a recipe or did you wing it?

2 Likes

all such beautiful and delicious looking dishes!

2 Likes

I’m not allowed to show up to potlucks without my potatoes au gratin and I’ve been thinking how cool the hasselbacks look and I should try them that way… but now I’m not sure, lol. Maybe once. :thinking:

1 Like

I have not followed the podcasts, but I want to. I have all of the Lucky Peach mags.

Regarding oxtail; So crazy how much it costs where I am, compared to what it represented when I was growing up. ! I think $6 to $8 a pound, but I’m not sure as I’ve stopped considering it. Anyone willing to share prices?

Mrs. P made our favorite spicy Andouille sausage pizza and a magnificent silky chocolate sin cake with coffee whipped cream, fresh fruit, and cherry, cranberry, and cabernet conserve. It was inspired by Cafe Sbisa in New Orleans (opened since 1899 but currently temporarily closed). It all went great with a nice French red blend.

15 Likes

I want to jump in that and I’m not even a ground turkey fan. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Nice job!

1 Like

Could’ve fooled me! Looks great, nice plating and the skin on your chicken looks perfect.

One of my favorite meals. I don’t know why I don’t learn to make it. :thinking:

1 Like

Envious of what ?

Have a nice weekend, Dear.

For Chinese New Year my BF made honey-chili beef using some of the ingredients we bought yesterday at the Asian market. The strips of steak were coated in corn starch and deep fried before being tossed in a sweet, savory, tangy, and spicy sauce.

He used a good amount of dried chilis and they were hotter than I thought they would be. My requests of “Come on, add some more!” were, well, STUPID! We were gasping for air by the end of the meal.

There also was vinegar present @MsBean, and that was probably the key. This dish hits every flavor profile there is. Restaurant worthy. Dumplings on the side not pictured.

17 Likes

That cake looks divine!

2 Likes

My fresh fish delivery came today, so we had some of the swordfish from it tonight, simply pan-grilled.

I had marinated shrimp yesterday, and the fish portion cut looked a bit light for low carb dining, so I sautéed some of the shrimp too.

Sides were roasted cauliflower (again, yes, but most of us love it) and grape tomato salad with shallots.

4 Likes

I listen to way too many podcasts though Chang’s is the only food related one. He is very funny and quite opinionated. You can’t mind swearing.

I’ve usually done oxtail as a curry, using my chicken curry as a guide. I was surprised at how well this turned out. I based the Chinese on this recipe -

Have you notice that oxtails have gotten so expensive? I’ve seen it for as much as $12/lb. I remember not that long ago it was so cheap. The same with goat. All the traditional cheap cuts have gotten crazy.

5 Likes

I missed your post when I answered @mariacarmen about the cost of oxtail. It’s crazy. H Mart had it for $11.99/lb last week though I ended up getting it my local grocer for $6.99 where I my family be the only goat eaters around. I was wondering if the price was bumped up to take advantage of the holiday.

If you don’t mind my asking, why did you give it up?

That looks great!

I made too much dressing for the cucumbers but it was ok as The Sprout will usually drink leftover vinaigrettes. But then she’s a kombucha fan too. My dressings are heavy on the acid. The only issue I sometimes have is how the black vinegar looks on things.

3 Likes

@TheCookie it is. Suggested to me by a HO poster some time ago and he was spot on!

1 Like

You should try them! Just cook them way longer than the recipe says. Once they were properly done, they were delicious.

1 Like

Thanks! I haven’t bought oxtails in forever. But I may try this with short ribs that I do have on hand…