What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

Loved your pastrami!!

A very lovely celebration! For 4, that was a lot of food! Love especially the baby pig.

What dish was it in wooden bowl (next to the piggy)? I saw some type of abalone, mushrooms… Basin cuisine / Poon choi?

It’s also available here, weird… I don’t know they are so international. Yes, they are the better ones.

1 Like

Thanks @naf - going to try making my own, like shrinkrap.

1 Like

A few meals this week.

Saltimbocca Pork with Parma Ham and parsley instead of sage, with roasted panisse.

Duck breast and roasted pumpkin with anise seeds

Swedish meatball with mashed potato

Store bought Banh Gio sticky rice with pork in banana leaves.

Home made poached pear in vanilla orange zest syrup and chocolate almond tart

Osaka style cabbage pancake. First try a week ago, didn’t coated the cabbage evenly with the pancake and egg mix, cabbage was too raw. This one made today was cooked evenly, I added some pancetta and more egg. Sprinkled with bonita flakes and seaweed, and more light handed in the Okonomiyaki sauce, quite good!

20 Likes

Ohhh seems interesting… in a good way.

1 Like

:clap:t4: :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

1 Like

Fabulous!

I’ve seen your lemon pasta… is that orange?

1 Like

Funny how that third one sneaks in there…

2 Likes

Dinner tonight was inspired by David Chang and Lunar New Year. A while back I was listening to one of Chang’s podcasts (does anyone else follow him? I think he is hysterical) and he was discussing how much he likes oxtail but that it has limited appeal. I love oxtail but don’t eat it often. His comments stuck with me. Since tonight’s Lunar New Year ushers in the Year of the Ox it seemed fitting that I make an Asian-inspired oxtail dinner.

Oxtail with Chinese Five Spice Powder, Shallots, and Assorted Mushrooms. Braised for hours until the meat was tender yet still held together and the sauce was sticky in the very best way. Served with Smashed Cucumbers (there’s black vinegar in the dressing @gcaggiano), Beef Sandwich and Spicy Gizzards (purchased at H Mart last week).

19 Likes

Happy Lunar New Year. I am an ox so I celebrated with pork noodle soup, pot stickers and there was oolong tea with a slash of orange liqueur for afters.IMG_2756

17 Likes

my sister’s been listening to the Chang podcast and loving it. I have weirdly not listened to any of my regular podcasts since the lockdown started…

i love oxtail, will have to try something like this soon, as this is my year - ox girl here! your dish looks wonderful… did you have a recipe or did you wing it?

2 Likes

all such beautiful and delicious looking dishes!

2 Likes

I’m not allowed to show up to potlucks without my potatoes au gratin and I’ve been thinking how cool the hasselbacks look and I should try them that way… but now I’m not sure, lol. Maybe once. :thinking:

1 Like

I have not followed the podcasts, but I want to. I have all of the Lucky Peach mags.

Regarding oxtail; So crazy how much it costs where I am, compared to what it represented when I was growing up. ! I think $6 to $8 a pound, but I’m not sure as I’ve stopped considering it. Anyone willing to share prices?

Mrs. P made our favorite spicy Andouille sausage pizza and a magnificent silky chocolate sin cake with coffee whipped cream, fresh fruit, and cherry, cranberry, and cabernet conserve. It was inspired by Cafe Sbisa in New Orleans (opened since 1899 but currently temporarily closed). It all went great with a nice French red blend.

15 Likes

I want to jump in that and I’m not even a ground turkey fan. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Nice job!

1 Like

Could’ve fooled me! Looks great, nice plating and the skin on your chicken looks perfect.

One of my favorite meals. I don’t know why I don’t learn to make it. :thinking:

1 Like