What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Just sticking my nose in here to thank you for the B sprouts recipe. Made it tonight and we’re hooked. So good.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

that pork loin looks incredibly juicy!

Truthful. I over cooked it a little. Was so so . Turning it into julienned stir fry tonight .

2 Likes

Game hen under a brick, blistered green beans, “roni”.

16 Likes

So glad it was made by so many people!

2 Likes

wow, doesn’t look like it from here. i rarely use pork tenderloin anymore because it’s not fatty enough for me.

3 Likes

Beige dinner tonight: Chicken and fennel marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, dry vermouth, fennel fronds, s&p and a splash of bourbon (just because i had a splash left) for a few hours then roasted at 425 for about 30 mins. and under the broiler until super crispy. This was ala a Kitchn recipe, though it just called for white wine. Turned out really good - I’m with @gcaggiano - anytime I see white wine in a recipe, i sub vermouth. I think that and the bourbon made a big difference. Also, mashed turnip with TPSTOB, mexican crema, s&p, a sploosh of prepared horseradish, minced parsley and smoked paprika. also worth repeating.

17 Likes

A better version of the New Year’s black eye peas and collards .

16 Likes

Chaat tonight - I played the “bhelwala” (street vendor who specializes in a few types of snacky food), having ordered all the (many) necessary ingredients before Diwali, when we never got around to it.

We started with bhel - with additions for weirdos who eat unnatural things like peanuts, cucumbers, or tomatoes :rofl: - those are NOT in Bombay bhel.

Then sev puri - crunchy little fried crackers topped with all the stuff (this is my personal favorite).

And I finished with dahi batata puri - pani puri spheres filled with potato, yogurt, and chutneys. This is my dad’s favorite, and was also my grandmother’s, and I am the inheritor of the house title.

We didn’t have space for pani puri today… that’s saved for tomorrow.

Other people had space for pasta later. I am still stuffed from the chaat.

22 Likes

That looks delicious!

I have a bag of frozen blackeyed peas in the freezer just because I had no idea they existed in that form and I had to investigate!

Hoppin John is going to make an appearance soon… oddly, one of my favorite dishes from the repertoire of my college cafeteria :joy: (they had a few hits… spicy chicken fingers, chicken lo mein, chickwiches…)

2 Likes

Oh I forgot dessert - little nephew made an “Oreo” Cake - in that it was a dark, not too sweet chocolate cake with simple vanilla buttercream frosting. Gluten free.

I was his sous chef. We almost had disaster strike two separate times, but recovered. And it was delicious!

17 Likes

Tuesday at Home Cheese and Wine

15 Likes

Lobster ravioli and roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner tonight.

Lobster tails barely steamed to remove the shells, then par-cooked sous vide in butter, and finished in the sauce to top the ravioli.

Everything was good, but a bit on the salty side tonight.

22 Likes

If @CurlzNJ sends you a recipe and says it is delicious, trust her. She sent me this recipe for Ethiopian Spiced Chicken and Lentils a while ago but I only got around to making it now. As usual I had to make a couple of substitutions for what I had on hand as I am trying to limit my trips to the grocery store (really any store). I served the chicken and lentils atop sautéed collard greens with garlic and topped it with mashed roasted squash for some added color. I even made my own Berbere spice mix.

18 Likes

Leftover NYE ribeye turned into tacos, by the BF. Crisped up the meat in a little oil and stirred in some Tapatio. Served with more Tapatio, a little cotija on top, doctored up, canned, refried black beans, his curtido and mexi-rice, a slice of tomato, and crema. Extra charred corn tortillas for the win!

22 Likes

I’d enjoy learning how to prepare both those dishes.

I get that - I don’t make it often but usually I’ll use it for (I know this will get hate) cha siu since pork neck is too hard to find these days. And I never quite get the results I want from shoulder that I would going out to eat. With a long marinade/brine, it still comes out tender and I can still get the crust.

2 Likes

Simple but got the job done after a long day.

20 Likes

what uses are you trying to put the shoulder to? i use it for carnitas, obvs, but just about anything a recipe calls for loin I will sub shoulder and love the results.

or were you speaking of just this particular dish?

Jumped into the first Monday of 2021 with a sweet potato, kale, and chickpea curry. I added a garnish of cilantro and lime juice at the table for extra punch.

This was my own concoction to use vegetables that needed using.

I wasn’t sorry to see the last of the Winterbor kale go. Winterbor is not my thing and a spicy curry is just the place to hide it.

21 Likes