What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

I would like to see pictures of what “we” think is a plantain perfect for tostones. Husband likes really green, but I like more than a bit of yellow, or even black.

Green over here. Yellow/black make sweet tostones, right? The others like those too, but I only like the salty ones - with mojo. And I wouldn’t turn down long plantain chips either - with some garlic butter for dipping :flushed:

3 Likes

Haha They weren’t half bad, but they’re supposed to gush when you bite into them. The thing is, you’re supposed to eat them by nibbling a corner from the top point, and work your way down, and you’re supposed to try to keep the juices from flowing all over your plate. The first person who drips juice on their plate has to buy a round a beer for everybody! That’s how important the juiciness is!

4 Likes

Do you know anything about whether it can be used to make rice noodles? I’m guessing not, as they would need to have some xanthan gum or something added. I think rice noodles are actually poured into sheets and cut - isn’t that right?

This recipe looks more traditional than Kenji’s highly spiced pho ga over on Serious Eats , which I do nonetheless like a lot. I think he took the spicing from pho bo and applied it to chicken.

2 Likes

We are soulmates. While dh loves Campari and soda, I can only compare it to Pertusin cough medicine my mother used to force on me.

2 Likes

Savage!! If you don’t take this sh*t back, I will donate it !!!

4 Likes

Your response was perfect. Polite, but lets them know you’re not going to review their product, and why. The fact you had a chef’s opinion along with yours gives even more credence to your review of their product. I’m sure they’re disappointed, but hopefully use your email as a way to improve the product.

5 Likes

Haha NJ! Stop sending your jars to Greg! I know it was you!!

3 Likes

That actually sounds good! I’ll have to try it. And I actually have had a Boulevardier, which I thought was not bad.

2 Likes

Yep, we had to cancel my first trip to Italy & Spain. :it: :es: :cry:

1 Like

To all asking, yes I will share their response if there is one.

4 Likes

Not rice noodles like ho fun (which are batter-based), but apparently the machine was originally developed for asian noodles so lo mein and ramen and the like. So wheat, buckwheat, etc I think yes.

3 Likes

Me! :raised_hand:t4: My ‘hood is the UN of Food. It’s all within a couple of miles and makes one incredibly lazy. Thank goodness I have HO’s What’s for Dinner to fire & inspire.

4 Likes

Speaking of which…

Green Soup - Puréed Pea Greens, Flowering Broccoli & Scallions, Chicken Broth, Cream, Berbere Spices & Swirl of Ahara Niter Kibbeh Ghee (Ethiopian spiced clarified butter), TJ’s Crispy Onions.

Having it all around us also informs the palate of distinct flavors and tastes… I think. :relaxed:

I saved these little tidbits to make a pretty garnish then forgot… so I ate them.

14 Likes

Incredible. You’d have to grease the door to get me outta the house if she were my DIL. #:pig:

4 Likes

Well, you’re doing a pretty good job of cooking it. Looks good.

2 Likes

Your “saved tidbits” are more framable food art.

4 Likes

Cute flowering broccolini.

2 Likes

Good idea.

2 Likes