What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Wow! I’m impressed.

1 Like

I’ll be picking up more Ballymaloe later this week, so maybe I’ll get a bottle of A1 (cheap enough at the supermarket) and do a test next time I make the sirloin tips. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks!

Tuesday Lunch: Classic Paella Marinara.

15 Likes

DH made us veggie chorizo and shrimp (inspired by a recipe from @gcaggiano) with crusty bread and green salad. Kiddo had pizza leftovers.

18 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

BF went through our stock of rice and found little bits of black, brown, arborio, and short grain Japanese. He cooked the black and brown together, and I made a salad out of it with fresh peas, cilantro, scallions, feta, dried basil, s&p, evoo, champagne vinegar, a little smoked paprika, dijon mustard, and a splash of Maggi seasoning. Very tasty, nice and nutty. Alongside Toulouse sausages.

11 Likes

same, i do a lot of traveling in October - January and it’s killing me to see the FB memories…

happy belated a tua mama!

i believe I had scungilli in Italy, but never here. it looks fabulous!

1 Like

Nicoise! We like to have a dinner salad once every 1-2 wks (easier in the summer of course). Healthy, good example for the kids, and a very satisfying crunch after the delicious but somewhat tedious mush of all the winter soups and braises. The dressing this time was particularly zingy and delectable.

15 Likes

Who orders takeout. My kind of meal .

1 Like

That looks like a pan for ableskiver, or alternately those delicious little Thai dessert balls of custardy goodness (had them once at a Thai market in LA).

2 Likes

Mine is a paniyaram pan - South Indian.

Same concept as takoyaki and aebleskiver pans, but slightly different indentation sizes.

I tried a cast iron one a few months ago, but it was awful. The one I have at home is coated cast aluminum. This one is coated aluminum, very lightweight, and heat efficient.

2 Likes

DIL made baklava and I had it BEFORE dinner!

18 Likes

Cannot seem to relocate your post on what is Scungilli ?

SCUNGILLI, is Neapolitan dialect, and the word means a type of “conch” …

In italian the word is SCONSIGLIO.

Nice dish too – breaded pork chop.

4 Likes

Home cooked dinner tonight, Chinese inspired.

Salmon with chilli oil (tofu for veg), broccoli in garlic sauce, blistered green beans with chilli, soy-butter mushrooms, and meatballs in hoisin glaze for the kids.

A simple but tasty meal - especially compared to the last few duds.

Is it just me, or is fish somehow less satisfying than other protein options? We were all grazing heavily an hour after dinner. I had a glass of kefir and some peanut butter before making myself a microwave frico.

13 Likes

Holy HELL that picture is making me drool!

1 Like

Shrimp Fajitas; quick fix dinner. Today was full of grace and determination-much like my dinner.

16 Likes

We made “rusty chicken” (pulled pre-marinated from the freezer), shells with cottage cheese, peas, and spinach, sauteed green beans with browned butter and lemon pepper, and steamed broccoli with butter, black vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame seeds. Served in courses as the chicken wasn’t quite done.

12 Likes

Sun-dried tomatoes.

Anyone of a certain age remembers the SDT craze of the late 80s/early 90s before it became passé. Typical of any food craze.

But it’s still good stuff! And it popped into my mind last night, so it was the recipe search that happened, and I happened on this one that seemed like it would work. And it did. Only changes were I used cellentani pasta, I used Aleppo pepper instead of RPF, and I used fresh Mozzarella vs. the bagged shredded. Oh yeah, I tossed in a handful of grated Parm-Reg.

Sides were steamed green beans. Oh. And wine. Because…GOOD DAY.

17 Likes