What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

No, I defacto deglazed with liquid from the next batch of mushrooms.

1 Like

That lentil salad looks so good!

1 Like

Thursday … Busy day … So a quick Pasta …

15 Likes

I made a lightened up version of Fuchsia Dunlop’s chili-garlic (“fish fragrant”) eggplant with cauli-jasmine rice and her sesame smacked cucumber salad with pickled mustard greens. It was good even though I overdid the hot bean paste a tad.

70% dark chocolate for dessert.

20 Likes

Made the NYT Caramelized Scallion Noodles. Should have doubled the sauce instead of halving it! Added a little bit of ginger, as suggested by a few in the comments (to make it a ginger/scallion sauce.) Sweet and delicious. Boiled chicken, sauteed oyster mushrooms and yu choy. Egg drizzled with a little oyster sauce. Crazy good.

17 Likes

Working on my favorite Dungeness Crab Cake recipe in this Boulevard Cookbook, but in California time. Could be after midnight elsewhere, or tomorrow.
And more crab stock for gumbo. Or…dare I eat rice? Jambalaya!

Theirs

Mine, so far.

Stock

17 Likes

Looks like a riff on the scallion-ginger condiment served with white-cooked chicken.

I LOVE that stuff, but have always cooked it because just scalding the aromatics with hot oil didn’t sit well with me, since I often have it in the fridge for a while… and It’s definitely an ugly shade cooked :joy:

3 Likes

Oooohhhh @shrinkrap. You’re killing me with all the crab! Yum!

1 Like

The first time I ate this soup was in a Yemenite restaurant in Jaffa, Israel. It is very simple - lots of onions, turmeric, soup bones, and hawaij spice mix. I made my own hawaij using the recipe in Sababa by Adeena Sussman (great book). It includes turmeric, cumin, cardomon, coriander, and black pepper.

14 Likes

Gnocchi in Gorgonzola cream sauce.

14 Likes

I love this pasta dish of yours. Is there also anchovies?

Yep exactly, and it was definitely cooked, because otherwise it would have been way too raw tasting. You saute it for 35 minutes.

Guess who’s slowly rolling off BRAT? :-1:t3::grin::-1:t3:This gal!

I made my dad’s chicken soup for dinner - broth and potatoes for me (with a bit of bread to get all nice and soggy) all the other goodies for sibling (chicken, cauliflower, green beans, missing peas). Y.U.M. That’s how good it tastes after 2 days of potato, rice, and toast :rofl:

Also made capellini cacio e pepe for the kiddos, with green beans in garlic and olive oil.

I feel human again after the soup infusion.

13 Likes

Hmm. I saw that. I never cook it that long, just enough for the water that is exuded to dry off.

The original is scalded with oil at smoke point, which takes the raw edge off, but it still tastes very fresh. I love it at dim sum, but I don’t trust it to keep for as long in my fridge.

1 Like

@MsBean I think this is Marak/Marag, in which case we had (substantially) the same soup for dinner :grin:

They look so much alike! I’m not familiar with Marak/Marag but am going to have to try making it. I make at least one pot of soup every week and am always looking for new ones. Do you have any recipe recommendations?

If you made Yemenite bone soup with hawaij, I believe it’s called Marak.

What are the layers?

I was thinking that too. I love that stuff.

2 Likes

So happy. Soup looks delish.

2 Likes