What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Ketchup is a vegetable. Seriously, we’re also now avoiding grocery for awhile because of counts, but also because last time we went, H got a nasty surprise while waiting at the cold cut counter of some unmasked, armed dude strutting about. Not cool. But we also are down to our lemons and frozen peas. Yesterday, I went out to the garden and pulled out one of my 4 kale plants by the roots. Because need veggies.

2 Likes

The trick was a bit too much pasta water added :slight_smile:. I believe ideally carbonara should not be that saucy.

4 Likes

Harissa salmon, cabbage thoran, masoor dal “fry,” and whole-roasted spice-crusted cauliflower.

Kids had pizza - because Friday. And roasted Brussels sprouts.

We haven’t had salmon in many, many months - while it’s not a favorite, it is one of my easy dinners, and it was lovely to eat it again.

The cauliflower was da bomb. I don’t know why we don’t eat it whole more often.

The cabbage thoran was a nice change - South Indian tweak to the flavor was lovely, even though I didn’t have fresh/frozen coconut to finish it.

The dal was full of delicious caramelized onions and garlic, but could have used a longer simmer.

Meal hit the Friday spot (even though my mouth briefly craved pizza while the kids were eating it).

14 Likes

B-day dinner for H, he cooked, and wanted to! Lamb chops from last year’s lamb, broccoli with cheese, air fryer fries. All excellent, and a good Barolo to accompany.

13 Likes

Happy birthday to Mr. Lambchop!

1 Like

Inspired by @gcaggiano dinner the other week, Mrs. P made bacon, apple, and bleu cheese stuffed D’Artagnan Heritage double cut pork chop :yum: Thanks for the recipe Greg! She also made butternut squash mac and cheese and roasted delicata squash. It went great with an excellent French Syrah.

19 Likes

Why thank you @Saregama! More festivities tomorrow when the DD’s and SIL come down for a joint celebration, since it was DD1’s B-day on Monday. Fish fry outside - Hope it goes ok. Will post details after.

That sounds like fun! Enjoy!

Too funny I saved the recipe to try myself, what did you think ? (It looks great)

1 Like

It was delicious. I loved the apple, bacon and bleu cheese stuffing.

4 Likes

Glad you both enjoyed it!

2 Likes

Beef stew, cubbed chuck and veg, using an instapot max. Let’s see how this goes on the maiden voyage. Have used a stove top with no issues. This seems way more complex than it needs to be

5 Likes

How long are you letting the meat go for? I seem to recall 40-50 min. working well for chunks of chuck. I think I released pressure and added the veg in with 5 min left.

I had a pizza recently with sausage-broccoli rabe-hot cherry peppers and loved it, so I decided to make it as a pasta dish. I added some chicken for additional protein than just sausage. Sooooo good. Also had some crab legs as a side.

18 Likes

A late start to the day due to downpours all morning. But I finally got up and at 'em and got my second Shingrix shingles vax at CVS, then braved the local Market Basket right next door to CVS for a few things. I survived.

Wanted to use up a couple of packets of cooked roast chicken I had frozen, so a Roasted Corn and Chicken Corn Chowder was WWFD…although I used 2 cans of Trader Joe’s sweet yellow kernel corn instead of TJs frozen roasted corn.

Also used two 2-cup containers of corn stock and only one 2-cup container of chicken stock. With the corn water from the canned corn, it made it a bit cornier. Mom would have liked this version.

A chopped salad of English cuke, radishes, tomatoes, and grated carrots with my Balsamic-Maple vinaigrette, a couple of pieces of a small take-and-bake baguette from BJs Wholesale Club AND a glass of white were the sides.

17 Likes

Fresh mafaldine pasta (store-bought) with peas, speck, parsley, and cream made for an easy Saturday night dinner.

13 Likes

We made miso salmon, sauteed haricots and Brussels, and (not pictured) shells and cheese.

A French 75 for dessert.

11 Likes

My husband and I have been working from home together since March 2020. Not one day has included a lunch of pasta and wine! I need a page out of your book!!!

7 Likes

I made pork carnitas tonight and about 30 things to go on/with them. Homemade tortillas, a avocado cream thing, pickled red onions, brown coconut rice, a black bean concoction and ubiquitous cilantro and onions. YUM. Terrible photo but I was hungry!

17 Likes

@gracieggg I made carnitas tonight, too! With guac, sour cream, refried black beans.

10 Likes