What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

This truly requires its own recipe, everything abbreviated!
Chix Mars: Pan Chix & Shrooms w Crost - Delish!

3 Likes

Either I try not to be too wordy or I’m lazy… I’m not sure.

2 Likes

It looks sooo good!

1 Like

Either way, it’s good. I just enjoyed the way it turned out.

1 Like

Thank you @TheCookie! Would send some your way if I could…hear it’s cold in SoCal today.

1 Like

Pasta with CSA spinach, garlic scape, blue cheese, and a hint of Aleppo pepper. I wanted lardons to garnish, which I didn’t have, so I used bacon that I did have.

16 Likes

LOVE the idea of crostini or crusty bread for sopping up the extra sauce! Looks wonderful!

2 Likes

OK, what kind of pasta did you use, @tomatotomato? Looks double-tubular and about 2" long? I’ve never seen that, or at least I don’t think I have!

2 Likes

Strozzapreti = things to choke priests with

Truly an odd name :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Leftover pozole turned into mush because i added rice to the broth - still tasty! added shredded cabbage/cilantro/jalapeno/scallion in there too, and fried tortilla strips, avo, and radishes to top.

11 Likes

Definitely getting colder… but it’s SoCal cold, so I have no right to complain. Loving soup right now, though.

2 Likes

What a line! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That’s what was for dinner tonight! My local store carries an Italian whole wheat variety that is surprisingly delicious - toothsome and not cardboard-y. We had it in a Gorgonzola cream sauce with green peas alongside lemon-marinated sauteed chicken tenders.

Night before, split a T-bone, which sadly was a little freezer-burned on the edges. Cranberry-clementine sauce with toasted hazelnuts and green salad with fig balsamic vinaigrette on the side.

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, I need to go grocery shopping like…a week ago. Previous night we had pork and beans which was transformed into soup.

18 Likes

Thanks! I did it because I realized I hadn’t thought of a starch and had a bunch of crostinis. But it is now a thing!

1 Like

I went with toast tonight for starch instead of home fries . I was beat from work . Breakfast evening . Hamburger party, sunnyside up eggs and toast . Cheers :wine_glass:

7 Likes

We broke out the new pasta maker tonight.

Of course, it was rushed because the work day went late, and the birthday person didn’t have time to read the manual or follow the recipe booklet.

Anyway. We made both GF and regular linguine tonight. It was a bit tricky at first, but I had read a lot of reviews before buying the gift, and so knew that the dough was supposed to be much dryer than usual. So we dumped all the extruded pasta back into the machine with more flour, and that fixed the texture issue - twice :joy:.

Once the correct recipe is followed I’m sure the results will be a lot better - as it is, with all the fumbling, the pasta was pretty good; just a bit off on mouthfeel and chew.

As a backup, I had also made a little bit of fresh GF pasta by hand (the kids were very excited about the machine, and I was a bit worried about it being the first time, plus GF). I think I rolled it too thin, or didn’t use enough binder. Will deal with it tomorrow.

ETA: Oh yes. I burned first the corn and then the chicken on the grill courtesy the pasta drama. Never mind that.

18 Likes

I had to read one sentence twice, because the first time I thought GF was girlfriend, and then couldn’t figure out how that worked. Gluten free turned out much better, so I’m going with that. :slight_smile:

P.S. I don’t know if it matters for machines, but definitely for handmade, after the dough is made it’s important to let it “rest” long enough before you continue.

P.P.S. I’m now definitely forgetting all about the burnt corn and burnt chicken. Thank you for reminding us all to forget that you burnt both corn and chicken on the same night… how could I possibly forget to remember to forget! :grin:

5 Likes

Hahaha

I am enjoying your sense of humor through this thread :slight_smile:

Love pasta drama . Always messing with you .

Nice! We love whole wheat pasta and good versions aren’t that easy to find near me—interesting shapes are even less commonly available.

Never have I seen making do with you have look more delicious. :star_struck:You are so inventive.

1 Like