What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

I make my risotto to the consistency that we enjoy. Generally mine is a bit less flowy than the all’onda texture I understand that risotto is meant to have. Sssh, don’t tell. :wink:

6 Likes

Belgian production simply reflects the truth in this regard: chocolate - definitely good; spinach - meh.

4 Likes

I believe that the “all’onda” consistency is characteristic of Venice and surroundings. The Tuscan risotto is a bit drier.

3 Likes

Yep, risotto has always been the achilles heel on Top Chef.

4 Likes

That’s probably the problem contestants have on these shows. It’s subjective and based on the preference of the judge. I like mine to spread, btw. :relaxed:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Linda,

Aborio and Carnaroli have completely different textures.

Yes, of course I know who Gordon Ramsay is. I had eaten in his ***Michelin Starred Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in London several years ago. I am a grand fan of his “Beef Wellington” !! And we had Hell´s Kitchen here in Spain quite a number of years ago in Spanish.

Though we very very rarely watch T.V.

I agree about the broth or stock to broth, should of been lighter in color.

Do you put butter and Reggiano Parmigiani Cheese too at the end ?

Check the next time you go to buy Italian rices …

Have a lovely evening.

2 Likes

And Chopped. (Oops - misspelled before.)

1 Like

Chopt. ???

That’s the salad joint. I meant Chopped, whoops.

1 Like

I made Flo Lum’s Portuguese chicken in the Instant Pot. DH made curried butternut squash and spinach + garlic raita from Meera Sodha. It was all good but the sides stole the show. Over cauli-jasmine rice.

DH portioned - I put a thigh back.

11 Likes

Leftovers plus some gorgeous, huge, fresh scallops.

Leftovers were - shiitake mushrooms, corn (that I shaved off the cob and mixed with Tajin, sour cream, and parmesan), spinach, and rice just because I wanted some.

Scallops were seared, then finished in a simple tomato-garlic-onion sauce.

An odd but delicious meal.

11 Likes

i baked baguettes for our dinner - shaved beef with slivered garlic/caramelized onion/cheesy melts. So rich! and BF worked today so he made fries for dinner instead of our usual brunch. Also his slaw.

I’m also working on a “faux” chicken bisteeya, started it today, will finish/assemble tomorrow. Faux because I’m using puff pastry - because it’s what I have and trying not to shop until next Sat. - instead of phyllo. I know it won’t be the same but it can’t be BAD, right??

15 Likes

Martha stewart baked potato . What ! It made sense. Wrap Yukon gold potato in foil . Bake at 325 for 90 minutes. I went a little bit longer. Competitive with my standard Idaho. Served with pan chicken and salad. Cheers .

10 Likes

Right, it’s hard for savory things baked in pastry to be bad. :yum:

1 Like

Bulgogi Rice Bowl

Thin sliced beef, mix of wild sweet purple rice & brown basmati, carrots, onion, pickled daikon, fried egg, ssamjang (spicy sweet, Korean bbq sauce), scallions & sesame seeds.

Red Cabbage Slaw

I had something similar with the banchan at a Korean BBQ spot in my ‘hood and wanted to try to recreate it. They used white cabbage but I had red and the other ingredients are yellow raisins, pine nuts and a dressing made w/white miso paste, sweet chili sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil & vegenaise. :heart:

Dessert - Antico’s Mango Ice Cream

This incredible local ice cream (spun daily) has been one of my best friends during the dread. :relaxed: And the texture of this particular batch is like whipped mousse if whipped mousse was ice cream. :heart:

17 Likes

All looks amazing! Stealing the slaw.

2 Likes

gorgeous bowl!

1 Like

Caesar salad with tomato and avocado (shut up haters), sliced chicken breast, and cheesy bread stick, green beans with toasted almonds.

PXL_20201214_230928635

15 Likes

Pan fried chicken breast over a bed of rigatoni in a vodka sauce.

15 Likes