What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

I’m blushing. DH gets credit here, too.

1 Like

I made clam chowder in the Instant Pot. Pretty good but I would dial down the garlic and add a bit of milk (used heavy cream, but not too much). Green salad with LindaWhit’s maple balsamic vinaigrette on the side.

16 Likes

A day off, and a day of introspection.

Dinner was a big-ass bone-in pork chop brined in apple cider, crushed peppercorns, and sprigs of rosemary. Patted dry from the brine, seasoned with olive oil and my favorite Penzeys’ Tsardust Memories seasoning mix, grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven.

Sides were crispy roasted potatoes with s/p and a garlic-herb blend, steamed asparagus, and homemade applesauce.

And wine, of course.

20201211_200202

And a sunrise pic from my sister this morning on her mountaintop in Maine. Because we need beauty in our lives. I’m missing my brother, gone too soon on this day a year ago.

25 Likes

Yes, we need beauty. And taking time out to reflect is a wonderful way to honor your brother. :heart:

8 Likes

Here’s a repeat of the caramelized onion, roasted pear, fancy cheese, and prosciutto pizza. Balsamic vinegar to finish.

The first time was just an experiment. Now it’s going into the rotation.

17 Likes

Mrs. P made smoky Andouille sausage and peppers :yum: It went great with an excellent red blend.

14 Likes

big hug, sweetie…

2 Likes

Chicken and asparagus with fried rice using leftover white rice from takeout the other night. Dumplings from the Asian market pan-fried.

13 Likes

All my deepest condolences Linda Whit, My mistake …
So sorry to hear …

Beautiful place being sent … Alassio - Italia …

6 Likes

That’s a really beautiful scene… bittersweet.

2 Likes

Chicken & Mushroom Wild Rice Soup

Looks like everyone is turning leftovers into soup. :blush: This one is leftover Chicken & Mushroom Marsala w/Sweet Pea Greens, Brown Basmati Rice & Wild Sweet Purple Rice gifted from my sis… and, of course, there was crunchy crostini (not shown).

12 Likes

I have leftover farmer sausage, leftover mozzarella, and leftover whisky. I may or may not report on soup tomorrow.

1 Like

Soup flambé.

As long as it’s not cook flambé (avec de la soupe aux saucisses et au fromage), I’ll consider it a success.

1 Like

I saw a recipe for plantain latkes and thought that would make an interesting dinner. I used two green and one fairly ripe plantains, seasoned with cumin and chipotle. Instead of matzoh meal or AP flour I used corn meal as a binder. They turned out pretty well. Served with goat curry, sautéed cabbage and pineapple salsa. Happy Chanukah!

17 Likes

Absolutely serene and gorgeous, @Barca!

Ooh great idea re plantain latkes!

We had fried plantains the other night (with mojo) and have been discussing latkes for the weekend… I was thinking about interesting alternatives, and here you are with such a clever one!

(Mine will be eaten with sour cream and smoked salmon, which has been replenished as of yesterday).

3 Likes

Last night was cobbled together as the others had pizza night, and I don’t love the pizza place that is the usual order.

So I pulled out a packet of mushroom ravioli from the freezer, bought long ago. Was wondering what sauce to use, then decided to go simple with browned butter and a splash of cream, plus a bit of truffle salt and white truffle oil.

I finally cut the kale that was growing like crazy in various parts of the garden, so I also sautéed some for myself on the side.

Quite a delicious meal at the end of the day :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Thank you. I think next time I’ll use equal parts green and ripe plantains. We did standard latkes on Thursday and I planned on having the leftovers with eggs for breakfast tomorrow but may have to pull out the lox in my freezer.

Saturday: Lunch at home today.

15 Likes