What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Dinner was just ducky today!

Pie for dessert. Pumpkin is 100% DH’s - I have no use for it. But a slice of that apple with a chunk of cheddar was dessert tonight and another will be breakfast tomorrow!

16 Likes

Gosh @LindaWhit - that’s an amazing spread, and a wonderful meal to honor your mom💕

Happy Thanksgiving!

5 Likes

Happy thanksgiving, to folks in the US!

Thankful again for so many things - health, family, friends, this community.

As a pleasant surprise, we ended up having a thanksgiving dinner after all, which was not the plan.

In addition to the few “musts” I had carried for myself - gravy, stuffing, white “gravy” (breadsauce), and chicken thighs instead of turkey, I added a number of vegetable mains and sides today to fill out the meal from what was on hand: (rice) stuffed peppers, roasted king oyster mushrooms, scalloped potatoes, roasted potatoes (kids…), roasted broccoli and cauliflower (the only other vegetables we had on hand), and vegan chicken nuggets for the kids. And we rounded out the chicken thighs with… steak :joy:

A very successful and happy evening, in direct contrast with my feelings leading up to this week, so I am doubly grateful.

Dessert is chocolate chip cookies - pre made dough, but I tried the pan-banging technique (and startled everyone :rofl:) - other than the fuss, it was quite successful.

18 Likes

Thanksgiving is still going. Playing music with best friend. Winged the pot pie in the oven. Potato au gratin. After 10 hours. It’s not about the food. Its about the friends your with. Cheers.

17 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Cheers.

20 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate this occasion.

The traditional cuisine of this festivity looks lovely.

2 Likes

With all our best regards from Spain … Today´s unique Lunch at home …

15 Likes

An atypical use for leftover turkey. Mixed cubes of turkey with sauteed broccoli, carrots, and onions with udon noodles in a peanut sauce (my Dad’s satay sauce recipe).

Wine.

16 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Belford Bistro. We enjoyed an excellent special of fresh Creste Di Gallo pasta in a vodka sauce with jumbo lump crabmeat; crispy duck leg confit; mussels, and the always awesome pork chop. It all went great with an excellent Ridge Zinfandel.

14 Likes

Back “home” again after a week away. Returning from a trip always comes with a sense of relief and comfort, even when it’s been a nice break.

More takeout - chinese by kids’ request. We actually ordered from 3 different places to suit everyone’s cravings :joy:

Kids had Taiwanese - soy noodle salad, green beans, broccoli, rice cakes. Veg adult had hot and sour soup from the high end chinese palace (that I really dislike), plus black fungus salad from the kids’ place. The rest of us ordered from a divey “New York style” chinese place because I wanted chicken corn soup :joy: - rest of the meal was young chow fried rice (another homey fave), and king pao chicken plus beef with scallions and ginger for the sibling.

Finally, takeout that hit the spot.

12 Likes

The first meal without leftovers cooked after Thanksgiving in this house is usually beef and/or something ethnic. BF made this awesome Chinese restaurant-quality pepper steak tonight. It is one of the best Asian dishes he’s ever cooked.

16 Likes

The rabbit pot pie for Thanksgiving was meh . Took the inside and made pasties doctored up . With mussels. Cheers.

15 Likes

@paryzer

Wow. What amazingly stunningly cinematic Christmas decorations. Truly phenomenal.

And the gorgeous lunch or dinner as well and beautiful photography.

Have a lovely evening.

1 Like

Thank you :blush:
Mrs. P has a good eye for decorating :slightly_smiling_face: This is only the beginning.

@Barca I love the smoked tuna pasta dish you had the other day.
Take care and stay safe.

1 Like

Thank you very much and yes, Mrs. Paryzer is quite an interior decorator - display artist.
Truly amazing.

Thank you for the compliment too.

Have a lovely Sunday. 22.30 here already so I shall say goodnite. Buenas noches.

1 Like

I see i have a lot of catching up here to do with all your delicious dishes!

My sister and I did Chinese take-out for Thxgiving dinner, per usual - this time a whole ginger crab, prawns & walnuts, and shrimp fried rice. leftover rice was bfast for the next two days.

Friday night we did another of our traditions: sashimi, purchased from Tokyo Fish in Berkeley, but all sliced by my sister. made our own little “open-faced maki” with vinegared rice and all the other accoutrements. we had kampachi, uni, hamachi, sake, and i’m forgetting one…some kind of tuna. Also, Dungeness crab in a little kewpie, ikura, two kinds of flavored tobiko (one yuzo, the other wasabi ), avo, lemon, gobo, pickled ginger, wasabi, soy, etc.

sashimi 3

For Saturday’s dinner, from the same place, I bought a tiny little piece (under 5 oz, split between the two of us) of certified Wagyu A5 steak. Seasoned with gray salt only, seared in a smoking hot pan. On the side was leftover vinegared rice from the sashimi, with wasabi furikake, and a little arugula tossed in evoo & salt. Sides went well with the fattiness of the meat. The steak was luscious, but incredibly rich. I’m glad I got us such a small piece.
could not have eaten any more (plus would have been way too $$).

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday!

18 Likes

Yes .This was one of the best Thanksgivings . After last years most depressed. Snowed in and no one could make it here . Winding down the holiday tonight. A bunch of leftovers in the oven . Cheers . :wine_glass:

1 Like

We had another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur. We enjoyed peppercorn encrusted venison; swordfish escabeche; duck confit salad; mussels, and the always awesome crispy homemade Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent Gigondas.

9 Likes

aaand leftovers from our pre-Thxgiving Thxgiving dinner - BF turned the smoked turkey leg into a pot pie, store-bought crusts, frozen veggies, his gravy. Delish - tasted just like Swanson’s used to make! :relaxed: Also, salad with goat cheese, cranberry jelly, & pine nuts.

16 Likes

My goodness. That sushi/sashimi were works of art.

5 Likes