What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

She loves some seafood – generally all types of fish and crab, but doesn’t prefer shrimp, lobster, mussels/clams/oysters. Definitely there’s a lot to work with. We can take them anywhere and they will always find multiple menu options that work and are good about trying things before rejecting out of hand. Both eat extremely well and healthy well-balanced meals. I have no complaints and don’t make it a big deal, and will continue to reintroduce things previously rejected. many things have been worked into the rotation over the years. it all works out.

5 Likes

Hi all! Just checking in to wish you all a very healthy, safe and happy holiday season! I will be entirely offline during the holiday period; focused on a long list of folks we plan to see (safely) in 4 states between this Friday and Jan 3rd by tour bus. So, I wish you all great meals, wonderful celebrations and continued good health.

Until the new year, :tada::tada::clinking_glasses:
Rooster

18 Likes

Safe travels! Mask up :mask:

2 Likes

Tonight I made veggie meatballs and tofu in a coconut-ginger-turmeric-lemongrass broth with haricots and baby bok choy over rice, with cucumbers in spicy peanut dressing on the side.

14 Likes

A while back I came a cross a recipe for ginger lime chicken from The New York Times. I was in the mood for it but couldn’t find that recipe. Instead I found Honey-Lime Chicken with Ginger from Food and Wine. It was delicious! When I make it again - and I will make it again - I will up the jalapeños and make extra marinade to have more sauce. It used an interesting technique. After browning on the stove-top, you sprinkle a sugar and lime zest mixture on top of the chicken and then finish cooking in the oven. It gave a nice sweet acidity to the dish. Served with yogurt rice with chick peas, curry leaves and mustard seeds, and spinach. I think the marinade would work really well with shrimp too.

16 Likes

Wishing you safe travels and good eating!

Enjoy the trip! See you in 2021.

Yum! Link?

Sure

5 Likes

Our chef friend is in the process of starting a home delivery service of comfort foods and provided us with some delicious samples to try out. We enjoyed Chicken Marsala, pork tenderloin, bratwurst, and baked ziti with sweet sausage. I wish him the best of luck and have already ordered a couple of entrees for next week.

15 Likes

Carry on mate .

Orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe. I’ve been inspired by fellow HOes since several of you made this pasta in the last week. I used both hot and sweet sausage from the local Italian market which they make themselves. I am used to Premio level “hot” which is barely mild to me since I love spice. Well, let me tell ya…their hot was HOT. While I loved the flavor, I’m not sure the heat level was appropriate for this dish. There was also crushed red pepper which I added before knowing how hot the sausage would be. Anyway, it was delicious and enjoyed by the BF and I.

21 Likes

Looks good Greg!

1 Like

Oh wow, @Rooster!

Safe and fun travels! How wonderful that you can see family and friends safely through the holidays.

We’ll miss you here - stop by and say hi if you are able, but either way, all the best for the varied holidays, and a happy new year to boot if we will see you next in 2021!

1 Like

Sorry to hear Greg. Having had some truly awful food poisoning experiences in the past, I truly don’t wish it on anyone. Hoping you make a speedy recovery. At least with Justin and your mom you’ll be in good hands!

2 Likes

Thin little chuck top blade - also known as flatiron - steaks, marinated in my schug all day, pan fried. Loved these, very tender. Boiled fingerlings in a spicy paprika/garlic/fennel rub, broiled in butter, and steamed green beans finished in butter/garlic/lemon juice/thyme/amontillado. Beans were meh. Taters should have been smashed. Steak was the clear winner.

13 Likes

Speedy risotto tonight, with fish and cauliflower.

Fish - yellowtail from “my guy” - was very simply seasoned just with s&p and pan-fried.

Cauliflower I roasted the way I like it - nice and caramelized (I had to retrieve half from plates because someone decided to serve the kids 10 mins before it was finished, even though the kids were nowhere to be seen… so I swapped it out stealthily - they love it this way too :woman_shrugging:t2:).

Risotto was my first attempt in the instant pot, which worked remarkably well - 4 mins was the time called for, but that was a minute shy of right. As only water / stock is used first, there’s no sticking. At the end I added mascarpone, parmesan, and various truffle bits - salt, oil, powder, shavings (after I took my pic).

I don’t think I’ll make risotto any other way again…
Only tricky bit was timing it exactly to when we were going to eat.

ETA: Very Beige Meal :joy:

ETA 2: More Diwali prep today.

Made 2 more sweets, pretty time consuming this morning / afternoon. Both milk-based.

Milk is slowly cooked down to 1/3, then sweetened and cooked down to evaporate the water again. Saffron, cardamom, nuts. That’s the first - Basundi.

Then you keep going, till the milk reduces down to milk solids. This is set in a greased tin, wrapped up and covered in towels or blankets to control cooling. This should lead to color gradation in the finished product - very dark in the center or at one end, and lighter shades of caramelization from there - that is Milk Cake / Kalakand / Bhugal Mawa / Alwar Mawa.

The basundi is mind-blowing, if I do say so myself. The milk cake is still resting, and it’s my first attempt, so I’m just hoping for something tasty and not holding my breath for the color gradation.

14 Likes

bleaghh! that sucks!

1 Like

Exactly!

1 Like

I guess the trick is to only use water or stock so there’s no “food burn” idiocy - and add the creaminess factors at the end.

1 Like