What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Not sleeping on the ground certainly helps a lot in the perseverance department!

2 Likes

thank you!

Tonight - tonkatsu with sushi rice and curried veg, homemade Bulldog sauce (ketchup, Worcestershire, agave, oyster sauce), and green beans with butter and yuzu hot sauce

Last night - broiled “rusty chicken”, broccoli with ponzu, butter, and crispy shallots, and 4-cheese risotto with asparagus

11 Likes

Love those makis and the pot pie!! Happy family meals!

1 Like

Lovely meals, salutations to the pitmasters. You are really good in mastering the fire.

2 Likes

Nothing particularly exciting. Trying to clear the fridge and the freezer.

I found some frozen Hainanese chicken broth from a meal a few months back, heated it up and added some chicken thighs with fresh ginger slices, garlic and onion. Tried this time to eat with rice vermicelle in the chicken broth. I have to say rice is superior and more adaptable with this dish than noodles.

Forgot to mention, I’m cleaning up the garden too. So many green tomatoes and the few last red ones, made this pasta (thanks @small_h for the recipe!)

Making more bread, so tartin with the remaining gorgonzola, tuna, and the last red tomatoes from the garden and a green tomato soup, I added some carrot and a can of red tomato with some chicken broth found in the freezer.

Made the Vietnamese canh chua cá, found desalted cod, frozen prawns and a container with some fish soup. A lot of tomatoes, no herbs, but good enough.

13 Likes

You’re very welcome! Did you like it?

Yes. It was nice not to “hide” the green tomatoes. I can’t say I will want to eat this everyday, but a pleasant way to use up vegetables in non optimal conditions.

I like pureeing green tomatoes and using them in place of tomatillos in pork or chicken chili verde!

3 Likes

Now THAT is fine dining! That all looks amazing for camping meals!

1 Like

Forced myself to freeze the remaining pie leftovers today, in order not to make yet another meal of pie! :crazy_face:

Was feeling a bit low on vegetables so I decided to do an experimental pad thai, using a combo of cabbage and tofu skin (both cut into noodle-sized strips) in place of noodles, along with red peppers, snow peas, scallions, shrimp and egg. Sauce was soy, fish sauce, Sriracha, lime juice and a dash of sweetener. Quite good for a noodle free substitute!

4 Likes

White beans au vin from Sunday NYT. Beef stew with beef swapped out for white beans. A keeper.

8 Likes

Your bread looks phenomenal!

1 Like

i took today off as my very nice law firm gave us a paid “mental health day” of our choosing. Took a short walk on the bluffs at Fort Funston as it turned out to be a gorgeous day. Dinner was a giant rib eye, which I intended to reverse sear. my timing was off, however, as I also made the SE best roasted potatoes. Amazingly crunchy! I really loved how the herb & garlic infused oil permeated the taters while cooking. Steak was a tad more cooked than I would have liked, but very tender. On the side, creamed spinach, but made with a bit of runny sour cream as I had no heavy cream. Plenty of garlic, butter and parm regg. and the last of the crimini shrooms, just to use them up. so much leftover steak and a few taters, too.

SE Potatoes

here’s the recipe for the potatoes, if anyone is interested.

15 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

I love those potatoes, too! I have been saving schmaltz for mine…

2 Likes

OH! i forgot to add in my post that these were made with duck fat!

4 Likes

Taco…umm…Monday? With heavily seasoned diced chicken.

9 Likes

Heinz beans and cheddar cheese on toast

8 Likes

Thanks, it’s half success. I actually baked 2 loafs, the other went weird. But good to test things out.

If you like you can read it here:

1 Like