What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Yes, please! Nice meal.

We had another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ.
We enjoyed duck confit salad, lobster crepe, Spanish chips, NY strip steak frites, and swordfish escabeche. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz.

11 Likes

ham steak with a maple syrup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, and cayenne glaze, and buttermilk & goat cheese mashed taters with TPSTOB. Also, garlicky broccoli rabe. Also, I made tomato gravy - never had or made before, but i thought it might go… Super rich! (made with all bacon fat.) and I know it’s supposed to be good on biscuits but we had baguette, so…

17 Likes

Happy November! WHAT!

A nice weekend, but unremarkable dinners, which is a fine trade off.

Last night we had lebanese takeout with the pod family - we had many of our usuals, and I opted to try their shawarma pizza, which was fine but not a reorder.

Tonight we had another family over (distanced outside) and decided to keep it simple with pizza and salad, topped off with lots of ice cream. A very fun evening.

But there was grilling too, to stock the freezer for lunches - tandoori chicken breasts and simply marinated sirloin cap. All cut, portioned, vacuum packed, and frozen for easy weekday lunches.

No pics, I was too relaxed and then too rushed to get everything organized and cleared before guests.

Tomorrow is a kid birthday, and every meal has been planned out for a while :joy: Dinner will be an Indian fry fest extravaganza.

Here’s my Halloween haul, which arrived just in time from “overseas.”

12 Likes

Ditto on both of these sentiments, @biondanonima…except for the husband part. :wink:

4 Likes

NOVEMBER 1st … Wild Mushroom Risotto … ![123107447_10215250814978319_2196011418176149381_o (1)|700x559]123460316_10215250722496007_7700608764279034931_o|525x700

14 Likes

November 2nd. Wild Sea Bass & Wild Chirlas - Baby Clams…

13 Likes

Ditto - it’s been pretty bad here for a few weeks. So, yesterday, I made a few lists of things to make to get back into the grove. I also jotted down things I saw on cooking shows, these posts, and broke out a few cookbooks to add to the list. I’m hoping a list will be easier to go to than my brain at the end of the day!

2 Likes

Asparagus, spinach, risotto. Did this with just water (no stock), wine, lemon zest and juice and parm. Finished with a few purple basil leaves, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a drizzle of evoo.

16 Likes

Crab spinach enchiladas suizas. This was a reinvention of my leftover crab cakes. mixed up with frozen spinach and a bit of cream cheese for some moisture/richness. topped with a delicious suizas sauce which was heavy on salsa verde for some kick. My husband doesn’t generally love straight leftovers so transformation is always a plus. Still have a ton of filling for these that went into the freezer.

20 Likes

I made Italian-style(ish) turkey meatloaf seasoned and stuffed with mozzarella and marinara, and topped with marinara and ketchup. Used French fried onions, which worked very well. The ubiquitous kale salad (currants, pistachios, and white wine pumpkin-seed vinaigrette). Baked tater with PSTOP&SC.

16 Likes

Meatballs, peas and rice. Big ole’ scotch bonnet for aroma, but not for eating. @bogman rocotillos in the sofrito.

PXL_20201103_025057343

17 Likes

Big ole Indian fry fest here tonight by request of the birthday boy.

We had puri AND bhajiya, unheard of - other than every Saturday lunch at my grandparents’ house many decades ago :joy:

I prepped about fifty puris in the afternoon, fried fresh when we ate. Bhajiyas were fried simultaneously - half onion and half potato.

Aside from all the deep frying, we also had chhole (chickpeas), the dry potato preparation that goes with puris, and mango pulp (“ras”).

Birthday bundts for dessert - because we hadn’t eaten enough :joy:

I couldn’t take pics before the food was decimated, but I did get some puri shots.

23 Likes

perfect looking puris! i’m sure birthday boy appreciated all the work. (i certainly would)

2 Likes

Basic chicken parm tonight. Salad and a glass of wine for sides.

18 Likes

Perfectly basic .

2 Likes

Have not posted much the last couple weeks. Started a new job and trying to get used to the schedule. Hope everyone had a great Halloween.

Last night the BF made Salisbury Steak with onion gravy (I did the mashed potatoes and peas). He’d been wanting to make it for a while now but I’ve never been a fan (nor do I like meat loaf most of the time). So, I finally caved and let him make his version. It was delicious. A big pop of flavor and the onion gravy was on the money. Even the old Corelle plates returned for a rare cameo!

26 Likes

that looks sensationally retro and comforting.

2 Likes

Potato kugel from freezer with sour cream, pesto pasta with cherry tomatoes, some broccolini.

13 Likes

Novembers off to a comforting and delicious start. Wow!

1 Like