What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Amazing meals! And I hope your husband tests come back negative.

3 Likes

The chicken was some extra pieces from preparing a large batch of this recipe. When I made it this time I just preheated a cast-iron skillet, then (carefully) put the chicken in skin-side down and roasted until done (15-ish min.?):

Christina’s One-Skillet Chicken & New Potato Bake

1.5 lb. bag new potatoes, preferably gold, washed

3 large shallots, peeled and cut into rings

10-15 grape tomatoes

8-12 Castelvetrano olives + 1/4 c. brine

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1/2 tsp. dried thyme

3 bay leaves

1/2 c. broth (I used vegetable Better than Bullion)

1/4 c. rosé or white wine, optional

Salt and pepper, to taste

6 chicken thighs

2 Tbsp. Gulden’s brown mustard

2 Tbsp. mayo

1/2 tsp. Badia Adobo/seasoned salt

Preheat oven to 450F. Halve the potatoes if larger than a marble and microwave covered in a large bowl for 5-7 min or until tendercrisp. Drizzle a large ovensafe skillet or baking dish with the olive oil and add the potatoes, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, broth, shallot rings, olives, brine, wine, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat.

Trim the chicken thighs of most fat. In the same bowl you cooked the potatoes, toss the chicken, mayo, mustard, and seasoned salt. Lay the thigh cutlets spread out over the potato mixture. Grind a little more pepper over and bake uncovered 35-45 min. or until juices run clear and potatoes are fully tender. Serve with the juices spooned over and a glass of the same wine you cooked with.

4 Likes

I’m always amazed by the variety of your meals! Here’s hoping that your husband feels better soon.

4 Likes

Roasted butternut and beef brisket chili is simmering on the stove this wet, gray day.

All that’s left to do is wait for my husband to finish up work. I’m ready to dig in!

16 Likes

Oh, my. You do eat well. Looks great!

1 Like

That all looks and sounds amazing. Yum!

1 Like

Camping cooking:

Saturday dinner - ground turkey breast lettuce wraps with crispy shallots, hoisin sauce, and chili crisp. Broccoli with garlic and browned butter.

Sunday lunch - fancy local hot dogs over charcoal with homemade Russet potato chips. I attempted french fries but badly overcooked them using the cold-oil method. So started over with minutes to spare. Good thing I brought the whole bag of spuds.

Our Camp Chef camp stove has crazy BTUs.

Sunday dinner - chicken tamale pie. Didn’t have quite enough cheesy polenta for the top of our wide-mouth cast iron camp pot, and should have drained the seasoned beans. Not pretty, but tasty. Continued that theme with cole slaw.

Tonight was various leftovers a la carte and peanut butter sourdough toast.

17 Likes

This little piggy had roast beef.

And Yorkshire pudding, jacket potatoes, peas and salad.

21 Likes

those chips look great, though! love the birdie chirping in the background…

curious, if you don’t mind - we were going to go camping this summer, but i suddenly realized we’d have to be sharing public bathrooms with strangers… how are you all dealing with that?

2 Likes

Dinner was 1-1/2 loaves of the homemade baguette (what, they’re skinny!) with sides. Cured meats, Kerrygold butter, very, ripe, stinky cheeses, and a big salad of romaine, frisee, radishes, shallots, scallions, toasted pine nuts, with homemade Ranch. All an excuse for bread. As if bread needs an excuse.

16 Likes

Nortwest Grilled Salmon and Harissa roasted carrots. This time the little flag is for daughter who likes her fish “well done” like dad, but without anything sweet on it. :woman_facepalming:

Bah! Philistines! I’m doing mine sous vide somewhere between120 and 130… …thinking

17 Likes

All of these meals preseneted are wowza. Cheers .:wine_glass:

2 Likes

Masks in the public toilets and short enough trips that we usually forego showering in favor of sponge baths on the campsite. If a shower is unavoidable, I wear a mask and take it off only for hairwashing. A bucket on the campsite is convenient, too (ahem).

2 Likes

Luckily my legs are long enough that I’ve always flushed the toilet using my foot.

1 Like

That’s great, but toilet flushing produces aeresols - it’s not surfaces that are the big spreaders. Oops, we’re really off-topic now.

3 Likes

Camping. Wow. Good times.

Sous vide mostly at about 122 F for 30 minutes

11 Likes

that last sentence is what i was actually referring to! who showers while camping? :smile:

2 Likes

beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you. I wonder if I will ever go camping again.

I am curious about instructions to “Transfer salmon to refrigerator uncovered and allow it to chill completely. Store in a sealed container for up to a few days and serve cold in sandwiches or salads, stirred into pasta, or on top of rice bowls.”

I may have stored in a sealed rather than an uncovered container before allowing it to chill completely. I thought it was pretty chill, and I needed to go to bed. Uh oh…,

Stay tuned!

@LindaWhit @Saregama @mariacarmen @Barca @tomatotomato and all…

Thanks everyone, H’s covid test came back, he is negative! I’m still curious how this bad flu got spread around with masks etc. Actually, I got it a week before him, but I was sick for a much shorter time.

17 Likes