What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

The blue cheese stuffed fresh figs look remarkable !

1 Like

Thank you @Barca!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

1 Like

Last night continuing on the salad theme, it was a Nicoise salad. You could clearly see the individual ingredients until I heaped the potatoes on top, and then they hid everything else. Nevertheless, very tasty and refreshing. Also, a proud gardening moment there, because in the salad were flat beans, onion, beets, and the aforementioned potatoes - all grown in my yard. Woot! We also took a liberty and swapped out hot smoked salmon for the typical tuna. This is not a usual swap, but we’d been eating tuna salad for a couple of days and needed a change.

18 Likes

I usually use the glass lid if I’m not pressure cooking.

download

3 Likes

Interesting. That would help. Never seen one. Remember my experience is in other people’s kitchens/galleys.

Now about those circuit boards that aren’t conformally coated… grin

1 Like

Mussels work well with coconut milk. Tried them with curry and basil a weeks back, so good!

2 Likes

I will not rest until I get me some of THAT!

1 Like

Husband is anxious that there’s not enough food and bought much more than on the shopping list. I’m anxious whenever he returns from shopping, either doesn’t buy what is asked or buys what is not asked. Then I get anxious in stuffing the fridge, it’s like a juggering act, consuming everything before the last consumption date. The cycles go on.

Momos look interesting, would like to try. Dumplings making needs practice for sure.

4 Likes

Want to try that pineapple coconut rum ice cream! Did she use stabiliser?

Fabulous meal, that cheese pines and figs… :yum:

1 Like

I really like your lobster dog picture, so much that I turned it right way and have to show it again! Lovely bisque.

10 Likes

Thank you! I don’t want to upload 10 mb of pictures, but whenever I do choose picture size and choose a smaller size it shifts them sideways - how do you flip them?

It was pretty funny, my dog isn’t afraid of anything usually, but this is a 6.5 lb lobster so she backed up and hid under the chair when I put it down.

6 Likes

So, how was the 6.5 lb lobster? I have never had much luck with lobsters larger than 1.5 lbs.

It was great, had some last night then made a lobster roll and bisque with remainder. I’m eating a lobster roll now and the meat is perfect. I know people always say that lobsters get too tough at that size, but that hasn’t been my experience as long as you don’t overcook them. I steam them and err on the side of undercooking because you can always toss them back in the steamer if they’re not quite done. I worked at a seafood restaurant in my youth, so I’ve cooked hundreds of lobsters.

8 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: I’m not sure what a stabilizer is. We got the recipe from this site.
https://chocolateandmarrow.com/2015/08/25/rum-pineapple-coconut-ice-cream/?utm_campaign=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly

1 Like

I downloaded it to my phone, use edit and rotate the pict, and uploaded it back here.

OK, I understand better, I thought the lobster was on a counter top, in fact it was on the floor. That was huge!

1 Like

It makes sense that the way you cook them is most important. But a number of years ago my wife and I both had lobsters at one of Jasper White’s Boston restaurants. Her 1 1/4 pounder was excellent. My 2 1/2 pounder was meh. But that may have had to do with freshness. Maybe the 2 1/2 pounder was there too long. Still and all, I would have expected that Jasper White would know how to cook lobster.

Thanks!

Stabilizer is to reduce the degree of ice crystal growth when you freeze it, usually it is used in pro or ice-cream that one bought. I’m learning to make ice cream, and some recipes request it. I know usually home made ice cream tries to skip this.

2 Likes

I have a very bad habit of wanting to cook vs. reheating something I’ve already made. So the upstairs and downstairs fridge-freezers and the chest freezer are filled to the brim. I need to use up the store-bought items as well as my many extra meals I’ve made.

3 Likes

Cook?
Not cook?

Something that requires more prep?
Something that requires little prep?

Based on the lazy Sunday I had, the latter won out.

Steak and cheese (with sauteed mushrooms seasoned with s/p and Penzeys’ Mural of Flavor) on a lightly toasted bulkie roll and Utz’s potato chips.

Wine.

I DID bake some chocolate chip cookies this afternoon, some with toffee bits. The majority will go in to work tomorrow for the COVID-8 of us who are in on a daily basis.

19 Likes

I was just looking at an article that said that soft-shell lobsters (the shell hasn’t fully hardened after they molted) generally has more tender meat than harder shell lobsters, so the lobster itself might have a lot to do with it. The one I cooked last night had a soft shell.

1 Like