What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Sorry for your loss Greg.

1 Like

Wow. I have only had a non sausage version of scotch eggs but its such a tasty dish. Yours look so good.

3 Likes

Errands this morning during the downpours of the remnants of Hurricane Laura. THAT was fun. :flushed:

Dinner was an attempt to help clear out the upstairs freezer…leftover lamb from Easter repurposed into a Lamb Tagine on the stovetop.

20200829_201456

Sides were egg noodles (couscous is more traditional, but I wanted egg noodles, and the chef accommodated), and honey-lime-ginger glazed carrots.

Oh, there was wine. Lots of it.

16 Likes

Thank you @Rooster and everyone.

The man was a dear friend and had a tolerance for spicy food unmatched by anyone on the planet (amongst many other non-food related qualities). Thankfully I have many memories that will be with me for the rest of my days.

16 Likes

Homemade pizza night, made indoors because of rain.

Plum tomatoes two ways: spicy roasted sauce and fresh sliced. Plus corn, diced pancetta, and fresh mozzarella. Balsamico drizzled over the top.

15 Likes

Sorry took a while, didn’t write about restaurant for a long time, couldn’t do it as easily! Here is it.

Frittata with a wee bit of saffron, potato, onion, cheddar and asiago cheeses, and Hyderabadi chutney on the side. I could make this Hyderabadi chutney with frittata on the side.

21 Likes

Mrs. P prepared a real feast tonight :yum: We started off with fresh roasted figs stuffed with blue cheese, pine nuts, and drizzled with balsamic syrup. It was also served with Humboldt fog cheese and fresh fruit. I topped it with Mike’s hot honey for a sweet and spicy flavor. For the main course Mrs. P made crispy skinned pan seared red snapper filets with a capers, fresh herb, and vermouth sauce, and asparagus on the side. For dessert Mrs. P made a delicious pineapple, coconut, rum ice cream which I also topped with Mike’s hot honey. It all went great with an excellent Gigondas.

17 Likes

From your contributions here, I can tell you must have been the very best kind of friend to him. Cherish those memories.

1 Like

Mrs. P killed it with Humboldt Fog and her simply but perfectly dressed figs. Going on to another targeted treatment of perfectly crusted snapper. So WELL DONE!

4 Likes

Greek night tonight. An appetizer of some Feta cheese, hummus, pita, and olives. Main course was mom’s Pastichio and sauteed spinach. There were martinis. Bombay Sapphire was the gin.

19 Likes

Thank you @pilgrim :blush: We love Humboldt fog cheese.

1 Like

Fun with ribs and spinach. Cheers :wine_glass:

17 Likes

At seester’s tonight, made The Spruce Eats’ Thai basil coconut mussels, that the BF made for my bday, with buttered slices of baguette. I may bathe in the rest of the sauce.

20 Likes

I’m going to have to go make that . We get fabulous mussels up here .

2 Likes

Yeah our mussels weren’t as meaty as I would have liked, but still tasty. And really, it was all about the buttered bread sopping. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Absolutely

Lobstah, and lobster bisque tomorrow

17 Likes

You’re only going to have to fill it up again. grin

Before February we would eat our chest freezer down to nearly nothing before defrosting, cleaning, and restocking. A “cycle” took three or four months (it’s a small freezer). Now we’re tracking what comes out and restocking in our regular shopping to keep the freezer topped up. We’re doing the same with our dry goods. I get anxious about another wave of panic buying. My wife is anxious about all the food in the house. grin I get anxious about all the leftovers in the fridge. My wife is anxious about all the produce she asked me to buy going bad before we eat it.

Dinner last night was lamb momo’s. Beyond the fact that I’m not very good at remembering to take pictures they were pretty awful looking. Really quite embarrassing. Tasted great.

Here is an article about momos: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/lamb-momo . This is something else I learned from Tibetan Buddhist monks. They prefer yak meat but that is hard to come by in Maryland so I used lamb. My recipe is a bit different than the link and I’m pretty laissez faire about the filling. Whatever strikes my fancy is likely to go in. Yesterday was the lamb, carrot, caramelized onion minced, s&p, cumin, tumeric, paprika, and coriander.

Here is the part I don’t get right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdeiDSM_CmQ . Aren’t they pretty? I wish I could do that. Keep practicing.

I have a big ceramic steamer I bought 35 years ago. I cut disks of parchment paper and make layers of momos to steam them. A stack of bamboo steamers would be easier but I don’t have one. Besides, I’m fond of my ceramic one and like to use it.

6 Likes

I take your point. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it.

In my (painful) experience if you brown in the IP and then slow cook the clean-up from browning after eight to ten hours on low heat is pretty awful. What should be fond is more like mortar. If I sear in a pan, dump the meat in a slow cooker, deglaze and dump that in the slow cooker the pan is close to clean and it is a quick job to finish cleaning. The slow cooker is easier to clean than an IP after dinner.

Reducing liquid in every slow cooker I have used is easy. The lids all let some steam out and you can accelerate the process by cocking the lid a bit. The latching lids and “safety” interlocks on the IP make that more difficult.

That’s fundamentally different from pressure cooking. You can sear in the bottom of a stove-top PC but I find that leads to yet another tough clean-up so I usually sear and deglaze in a different pan before buttoning up the PC. I’d rather have two pretty easy cleaning tasks than one difficult.

YMMV.

2 Likes