What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Nope. It’s an element by element of the design and production of IP compared to good engineering practice. I’m happy to share but it would require NSFW notices and chance for everyone to settle in with adult beverages.

IPs do make dandy doorstops thought.

1 Like

Almost home-made Pork & Beans (I cheated and used a Bush’s Grillin’ Beans–can’t remember the style). Due to unforseen circumstances, the beans & (finally) end of our pork chops marinated overnight in the refrigerator. Baked at 300 degrees for an hour and 10. We were satisfied.

10 Likes

We had a guest for dinner on Wednesday, he stayed the night also. Covid 19 negative in advance of his consultation with Cancer Care Alliance in Seattle. Really fun night, after a great little dinner. We started off with bruschetta, then on to bacon wrapped filets, garden greens, sautéed, and baked potato. Turned the deck heater on after dinner and stayed out kinda late.

12 Likes

I grew up in New England and Saturday night dinners were hotdogs or hamburgers with B&M baked beans and brown bread from the can. I thought we were the only family with that habit only to find we weren’t unique at all. Sure, some did bake beans all day and use an old can for the brown bread. Every now and then, for old times’s sake, I serve that old favorite. No complaints.

6 Likes

It was a day.

So a treat for me tonight…even though I still cooked it.

Duck breast with a spicy peach sauce. The sauce was sauteed minced shallots, 1 chopped peach, champagne vinegar, brandy, s/p, Sriracha pepper, then reduced.

Duck breast was seared until the far rendered and the skin was crispy brown. A quick flip fir 30 seconds on the meat side, then into a 350° oven to finish.

Sides were Israeli couscous and green beans. And wine. Several glasses.

I was going to have an ice cream sandwich for dessert, but I think a small snifter of Cuarenta y Tres is in order. I miss Dali Restaurant.

15 Likes

We ordered takeout from Kenko Sushi in Lincoln Park, NJ. It was our first time there and we really enjoyed it. We rarely have sushi. They were rated one of the best sushi roll places in NJ. We enjoyed a monster roll with shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, avocado, crab, sesame oil, crunchy, sweet chili sauce & Korean hot sauce on top; Spider roll with deep fried crab, cucumber, avocado, crab meat, masago, crunchy, sweet chili sauce & teriyaki sauce on top; heartbreaker roll with crunchy spicy tuna w/ tuna, jalapeño, siracha hot sauce & spicy mayo on top; Spicy shrimp dragon with shrimp tempura, crab w/ avocado, siracha hot sauce, teriyaki sauce & spicy mayo; seaweed salad with shredded beets and imitation crab meat. It all went great with a nice Brunello di Montalcino.

11 Likes

@emglow101, the water picture is on Commencement Bay in Tacoma Washington. The Port of Tacoma is to the right side of the picture.

Funny you should mention Sausalito though, as I refer to my smallish community as The Sausalito of Tacoma, to people who haven’t visited.

Used to like going to that waterside place in Sausalito that was famous for it’s gin fizzes. Cant remember the name right now.

2 Likes

Varied dinners here tonight.

Pizza Friday for all the vegetarians.

Leftover chicken curry, chapatis, and rice for the sibling.

Marcella’s bolognese (freezer) with capellini for me, brightened up with the oven dried tomato “jam” I made the other day from a batch of too-ripe cherry tomatoes. Side of sautéed baby spinach. Parmesan and calabrian chile paste gilded the lily.

I met my visiting friend and her family at the beach before dinner.

Gorgeous late afternoon light on a cloudy day.

16 Likes

so sorry about the loss of your friend…

1 Like

Same! mostly. though as I’ve gotten older (um, old), i note that my sweet tooth has gotten sweeter. not something i’m happy about!

1 Like

Larb! I love larb.

And maybe steak and tomatoes later.

Yeah. I’ve got room for that.

17 Likes

Fried up some Scotch eggs to use up some breakfast sausage I found in the freezer. Also had some chicken skin in the freezer and fried that up as well since I had the oil going. And a salad (not fried).

18 Likes

Those Scotch Eggs look A+!

1 Like

Comfort food tonight. Chicken cutlets, yellow rice with corn, and peas sautéed with butter and bacon bits that have been hanging out in the fridge for a while.

There was wine.

16 Likes

Long day. Evening family Zoom that had east coast and west coast on. Funniest moment - two completely different households showed up drinking the exact same bourbon. Dinner here was take out pizza (pepperoni and basil), salad, and wine.

The bourbon and the za.

13 Likes

It looks like sasolito. Very similar. I have to visit someday. Beautiful.

2 Likes

I always wanted to make scotch eggs . Ridiculously good looking.

3 Likes

Temperatures have dropped quite considerly, from 35 degrees Centigrade to 18 - 20 Degrees, which we are thrilled about … Great day for retail therapy and strolling about the historic district of Girona.

Shall snap a few shots during lunch hour: 14.00 - 16.00 …

2 Likes

I vote this pic as the best of five gorgeous food shots in your post, Eli. :grin:

6 Likes

My respect for you remains. No one is perfect. grin

Have you used a conventional stove-top pressure cooker? Faster than any electric pressure cooker and easier to clean. Holding at serving temp is important in commercial environments but if you need more than a few minutes at home something strange is going on.

24-hour yogurt makes my head hurt. Yogurt takes 8 to 10 hours. The IP makes yogurt (like rice) overly complicated. See https://instantpot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Duo-Evo-Plus-English-Full-Manual_2020-05-12-INTERACTIVE.pdf page 48 - 50. THREE PAGES for just making yogurt.

I hear you about cults. To my mind near-religious adherence to views (a hallmark of cults) is dangerous. Where is critical thinking? Good science requires questioning, most importantly of one’s own conclusions.

You can keep chili or rice warm in a simple slow cooker, in a heated pan, over a hot flame tamer, or on serving dishes heated in an oven. You don’t need an electric cord. That is before we start talking about chafing dishes.