What's For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

Amen .

Damn good first WFD post.

May I ask whats “potato Lyonnaise sausage”, please? I know what potato Lyonaise is and I know what sausage is, but I can’t recall seeing them linked. Does this mean that, with the latkes, you are are two sorts of potato?

It’s a sausage made up from my local butcher . Contains ground pork , potatoes ,bacon , onions , cheese , garlic , and salt . I have to say they are pretty darned good . Latkes were a separate dish .

1 Like

Now that sounds like a world class sausage.

Sounds like a good Lenten distraction for me. I have a copy ‘in transit’ which will hopefully show up at the library Tuesday. Forgot tomorrow is a ‘holiday’.

Arghh! Absent for a long time - new job, builders, travelling etc… Anyway, tonight was Boston baked beans made to the recipe of a late, dear friend of mine who happened to be Canadian so no idea how authentic the recipe! Tomatoes, onion, garlic, gammon, beans, allspice, cloves, mustard seed, stock and treacle. Lovely and warming on this cold, cold night. Zinfandel to drink. Stay warm, everyone.

1 Like

A simple dinner tonight. Yellow chives and eggs are being stir-fried. Smacked cucumber salad alongside.

Also underway is another quadruple batch of the Calabrian pickle that I make yearly. It contains aubergine, zucchini, capsicum, tomatoes, chillies, garlic, olives, capers, sundried tomatoes and oregano. Its proved popular with the in-laws so a few jars get passed on every year as gifts. The summer bounty preserving continues with some nectarines that I’m bottling in a manuka honey mead I bought the other day but found to be too sweet to drink.

If you’re in the freezing areas - stay warm!

3 Likes

Are stir-fried eggs the same as scrambled eggs?!?!? :slight_smile:

Look black but the shanks are actually deep deep red. The darkness came from red wine and Bovril. I also added fennel seeds to the whole thing. Braised in the oven for 3 hours.

Dumplings had swede in them (as well as eggs and flour of course). I mashed the swede and potatoes with a fork. That would explain the ugliness/roughness. We enjoyed the meal so much. It’s still snowing so at least this food makes us forget for a moment what we have to face tomorrow morning.

Swede dumplings close-up.

6 Likes

Good question. They’re not as fluffy. From memory the recipe I use adds a little potato flour or corn starch which seems to make them silky.

I honor of the Super Bowl winning quarterback Peyton Manning (sorry I forgot to take a pic till we were putting left overs away). I offer you “Chicken Parm you taste so good…” Sautéed brocolli as a side for me and penne pasta for the masses.

1 Like

Good to see a more active WFD, especially some new posters.

Squid again, ate a lot in the past weeks. This time, pan fried squid with a spicy sauce, lemongrass, leek and bean. Ate with Japanese udon.

7 Likes

Picked up a lamb steak @ Wegmans yesterday. It marinated most of the day in a combo of minced fresh rosemary (I think the negative temp numbers finally killed the plant I have sitting outside on the front porch), minced garlic, salt, pepper, dry mustard, dried mint, and olive oil. Quickly pan-seared it, then into a 375° oven in a baking dish for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, some water was added to the searing pan, reduced, and a heaping Tbsp of Mussini balsamic fig compote (a Home Goods acquisition) was mashed into the liquid that was left. Poured it over the lamb steak to finish cooking to a perfect medium-rare.

Ground sumac, salt and pepper was dusted over oiled-up Yukon Gold potatoes and into the convection oven to cook and crisp. Green beans were steamed. Wine was poured. Dinner was served.

4 Likes

Tonight I made for my bride, pan seared grouper and sea scallops with roasted cauliflower and plantains. It lacked color and visual appeal but tasted good. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m having the leftover Rotkohl from last night , along with a steamed Yukon Gold potato , and from the butcher I picked up these pork crepinette’s that are made with a little candied kumquat , some herbs , and are wrapped in caul fat .

1 Like

Hand-formed ravioli with ricotta, a touch of garlic, parm and eggs as the filling, classic egg pasta for the shell. Simple marinara with D.O.P San Marzanos, olive oil, garlic and a touch of red wine for sauce. Homemade blueberry pie was breakfast today and dessert tonight for my sweetie who loves pie more than anything except, hopefully, his family. A tasty and relaxed Valentine.

12 Likes

An acquaintance of mine was talking about one of those companies where they deliver everything you need for a specific meal. $60 for 3 dinners. I thought was a ridiculous amount of money but expressed only mild dismay. That’s rare for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW, this is someone who is seriously financially in trouble because of years of bad buying decisions. Sigh.

Tonight’s dinner was a big piece of prime filet leftover from Thanksgiving. Stir fried carrots, red pepper, red onions and something else I can’t remember. Along with mushrooms sauteed in butter. So good.

3 Likes

Hi bear, you should link your lovely ravioli dish in the Cooking of the month - dumpling.