What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Yes, thank you, and we didn’t even have bacon for them, but they were still absolutely delicious. The nibblers were good too. Part Irish here, don’t think I’ve met a potato I didn’t like…oddly, chips and fries are least favorite preps. Unless fries are homemade from potatoes that have never been frozen, or from a special resto that does them right. Of course the right kind of chips are good with a sandwich, and absolutely essential atop tuna noodle casserole.

2 Likes

Here too, either wild or nothing. We try our best to avoid farmed fish. Difficult to find wild prawns or shrimps. Impossible for mussels.

3 Likes

Fishing off the Jersey coast has been very good so far this season. My freezer is getting restocked but we do eat from the day’s catch. Thai Basil Fish with sautéed Napa Cabbage and Leeks. I’ve often tried to grow Thai Basil as it is hard to find in my local grocery stores. This is the first year it has done well - so well in fact that I made some Thai Basil “pesto” with pistachios to freeze for the the winter.

12 Likes

actually, BF left me some leftovers!

12 Likes

Dinner last night was Chicken Tikka Masala, my greatest success at this dish to date. To make it even better it was a boat friendly rendition, although made at home. Served with roasted curry cauliflower and a salad. As usual, I forget to take pictures.

5 Likes

Last night dinner was some savoury French pancakes. Ingredients included ricotta, grated comté, mushroom, dried tomatoes, grilled pepper, spicy Spanish Sobrasada…

Grilled bell peppers

20 Likes

Made pizza dough over the weekend so two pies tonight. One was evoo, asparagus, prosciutto, oregano, red pepper flakes, and parm once out of the oven. Second was traditional red sauce, a few pieces of pepperoni, and fresh buffalo mozzarella. These were really good. Preheated the over for an hour at 500 with the pizza stone, then turned on the broiler to super heat the stone. Broiler off, pizza in. I always finish the pizza with another stint under the broiler. I have dreams of a backyard pizza over - but that’s not in the cards right now.

17 Likes

this looks amazing!

[quote=“Lambchop, post:146, topic:21904, full:true”]
Meals since Father’s Day. Nothing fancy, but all good. Made a new pork tenderloin recipe, and will provide a recipe. Easy peasy & way more than the sum of it’s parts. Wouldn’t have thought the flavors would be so dynamic.

I have pork tenderloin thawing for dinner, recipe?

2 Likes

Do you have a sous-vide setup?
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-pork-tenderloin-recipe.html

If not, seriouseats has other recipes.

1 Like

We get half-wild prawns here. They come from Argentina, and are quite good. I don’t think that there are any wild mussels, unless you gather them yourself. And then, the question is where?

I do not sous vide, and I have lots of recipes for pork tenderloin, just not one that looks like lambchop’s. Thanks for the reply.

Jello. .IMG_20200707_114316

Mango AND pineapple! :open_mouth:
This is lunch, but it will probably be dinner too. Unless I make orange, after the consommé and bone broth.

8 Likes

Thank you!

Oh wow. Ok, good to hear that “Gucci” is fine ! Thought he had an accident …

Have a lovely day.

1 Like

Birthday celebration here. Wanted to hit a brewery patio but it was flat booked. Settled on beer, rosé, dumplings and buns on our porch at home.

Funny angles in this pic.

19 Likes

Nothing planned, so swirly pasta and sauteed veg to the rescue. Easy and fast. And leftovers for lunch.

The rest of a box of campanelle mixed with some cavatappi to round it out was cooked and drained, and mixed with sauteed broccoli, carrots, radishes, and onion in a white wine garlic-herb sauce using Presidente garlic-herb cheese and grated Parm-Reg, oomphed up with dried basil, oregano and parsley.

Wine alongside.

16 Likes

I kinda like your at-home celebratory meal better. :heart:

And I’d think that with fewer seats and many places only taking reservations, it’s a lot harder to get into many restaurants these days.

3 Likes

Sorry, got reckless and went out today, but safely, and double masked. Will post ASAP.

Here you go; next time a variation of chipotle powder, lime, honey & cilantro at end.

5 Likes