What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

:smile: I’m sure I’d benefit from being wrapped in bacon too!

that looks great, glad you liked it!

2 Likes

I had the same feeling, and nothing like that even happened. Just a lousy day.

3 Likes

Another potato and onion (and cheese!) frittata.

17 Likes

I made lightened-up old skool (turkey) tacos, seasoned pinto beans, and DH made a massaged kale salad with dried blueberries and coconut. It worked.

I had a friend over to distance-split an Italian red on the porch. Delicious and great convo. COVID really shows you who your true friends are.

17 Likes

that may be worse, i think… :cry:

2 Likes

that’s a beauty…

1 Like

It always amazes me how a day can start bad, and continue to be fraught the entire time. Nothing flows! Hope the HH was good, and that your weekend is perfect @mariacarmen. :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

Love both, but the distinct preference is for bechamel; in that case we make fresh lasagne “noodles”, rolled to the thinnest setting. Very special meal when that happens @Auspicious.

2 Likes

thanks! no happy hour but late night cocktails loom… you have a great one too!

1 Like

Homemade injera with Doro Wat, and Y’Abesha Gomen. The Doro Wat is based on Marcus Samuelson’s recipe. I used his berebere recipe too as I thought I had a prepared blend but didn’t. Luckily I had most of the individual spices needed to make the berebere. I hacked the traditional spiced butter - Niter Kebbe - adding the spices but not the clarified butter. Dinner was delicious but no where near as good as the food at one of our favorite restaurants - Ada’s Gojjo in Asbury Park, NJ. It was fun to make though.

18 Likes

Wow!

3 Likes

That injera! :star_struck:

2 Likes

The whole injera thing started because I was looking for semolina flour but found teff instead. The injera is pretty easy to make, it just requires advance planning as it takes at least 2 days to ferment the batter. Some recipes were upwards of a week. It also helped that I have way too many spices.

5 Likes

@bear I follow Kenji’s Instagram and he loves his. This is so tempting, especially since pizza is its own food group at our house.

2 Likes

I follow Kenji as well. He’s awesome. He ended up with the new Ooni Koda 16, I believe, which he likes a lot. The design is supposed to be an improvement over the Pro that I have, and it is all gas-fired. I went with the Pro because I like the wood as fuel, even though lots of people say it’s the high heat that makes the pizza, not the fuel. Anyway, I’m not disappointed at all!

2 Likes

More pizza last night in my new Ooni Pro pizza oven. My husband requested our standard garlic/tomato/fontina/asiago/parm, and my son wanted roasted corn, zucchini and parm with a garlic cream sauce. It was topped with parm and mozz. Both were pretty tasty. It’s still a learning curve, that’s for sure. The fire is about 900F, and the pizza needs to be turned every 20 seconds or so. I turned the tomato pizza too soon and it stuck, but oh well. It’s lots of fun, though, and even the burned parts are tasty.

20 Likes

So far, I’m pretty pleased with how little wood it uses. I start the fire with a small amount of lump charcoal and a Weber paraffin starter cube, and then throw on a couple of smallish pieces of logs after the charcoal is partially burning. It comes up to temp, about 900F/500C, in about 20-30 minutes. I could probably stand to add another piece of wood after the third pizza if I cook more than that. The Ooni 3 is smaller (and of course the pizzas need to be about 12"), wood-fired and portable if that makes your life easier. You could definitely store it away when not in use. Good luck with your decision, naf!

4 Likes

A friend also has one of those pizza ovens. The results speak for themselves

1 Like

Oh HELL that sounds wonderful!

4 Likes

It was pretty darned good, definitely a repeat. I forgot to say it also had roasted poblanos from the Earthboxes. It was sort of a riff on Marcela Valladolid’s lasagna recipe.

8 Likes