What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

You got that right… it’s Avenue East in Cranford.

That’s so funny. We used to go there with my FIL. It is very good.

1 Like

Vivian Howard’s tomato pie. I always try to put in too much filling.

17 Likes

Egg omelette. Garden zucchini with other . Cheers. Local eggs the best of. super20200722_214008|393x700

2 Likes

whoopsy

15 Likes

Beautiful butter lettuce + assorted loot from fridge = composed salad for dinner.

I gussied up our meal with a square of homemade olive oil foccacia pulled from the freezer.

Astute observers may notice recrisped hand cut fries (from recent takeout) on the plate. I did say assorted loot from the fridge, remember?

16 Likes

Some of my fav meals are assembled from loot.

2 Likes

Assorted loot from the fridge could become my new favorite term. Especially when the family is tired of leftovers. I love it!

5 Likes

Leftover fries from any source is an unfathomable concept.

4 Likes

This!! My DH is not a tomato fan so I will have to wait until we can host guests again. I absolutely love Vivian’s cookbook.

1 Like

Took a chance this week and ordered some American Dover sole in my delivery box. It was from Astoria, Oregon, a charming city we visited a few years back. Other than the small size of the filets, this was so good. Tender, fresh, and a nice light summer dinner. I followed Ina’s recipe for Sole Meunière. Served with smashed potatoes dressed in herb vinaigrette and salad. And my new favorite summer time Pinot Noir.

15 Likes

That all looks and sounds wonderful.

1 Like

We have a new toy, so I’m thinking we’ll be playing around with our new Ooni Pro wood-fired pizza oven a bit over the next few weeks. Tuesday was our first run and we were pretty happy with the results. The first pizza was a bit burned on the bottom, but still good. These two could probably have used a bit more time to darken the edges, but they went down easily. There is definitely a learning curve. They cooked in under two minutes each, with constant vigilance. I have some dough cold-proofing getting ready for tomorrow night’s batch. We’ll branch out from our usual garlic/tomato/fontina/asiago/parm standard and use some in-season produce for our next batch.

![After the first cook|393x700]

27 Likes

Your pizza oven looks amazing! I hope that you share some of your creations and observations here on HO.

1 Like

Will do! It’s definitely a fun little product and I’m excited about getting more comfortable/adept with it.

3 Likes

Totally jelly! I’ve been watching these ovens back to the earlier versions, but have yet to pull the trigger. I like the idea of the wood/pellet one for flavor, but gas for ease. Can’t wait to follow your learning curve adventures.

2 Likes

Very interested to hear as well! H was gifted one for Father’s Day, but he needed to order the one he wanted, thus we have an ETA of September. Can’t wait! Your pies look great BTW. :pizza:

4 Likes

We’ll probably get the gas attachment in the next few months, but I figured I’d get more comfortable with wood first. I bet the gas will be especially convenient in the cold weather when a quick light and consistent heat is appealing. People who have both say that there’s little to no difference in taste, but I like the challenge of wood so far!

7 Likes

Shrinkwrap you seem to have tried a few of the cabbage pad thai recipes. Did you find a favorite? I’m interested in giving this a spin, although we have a peanut allergy in the house, so I won’t be using those. They seem to have figured prominently in yours…

DD2 & SIL over for dinner last night before leaving on a 10 day road trip. Dropped off their 2 cats in our care. Anyway, pizzas, in the regular oven. Too chilly to eat outside, apparently we’re not having summer this year. That’s ok I guess, it’s been a totally weird year anyway. Couple regular style, and an experiment. The new creation was spread with OO and homemade pepper jelly, with salami, goat cheese, cantaloupe slices and drizzled with balsamic glaze. Really tasty!!

Beer, Rose, Chardonnay and Zinfandel to drink. We all wanted something different.

13 Likes