What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

I made BLATs and COTC tonight, BF made fab potato salad and cole slaw. I slathered the corn in TPSTOB, Everything but the Bagel, AND Everything but the Elote seasonings. Bacon was a Euro center cut bacon so a bit lean, so what did the BF do? fried it in bacon fat that we had in the fridge. is it any wonder I love him so? :heart_eyes:

AND the first FM peach of the season for afters. Juicy & sweet! Yay for peach season!!

first peach 2020 d

19 Likes

I can find out
My friend is a landscape architect
His yard is riddled with different citrus , trees, and other . Its good to be back home today

2 Likes

I’m wondering where these early figs grow. On Mt Shasta or on the coast? .

Me too!! I made a decent amount and would have made more had I the ingredients.

I was in Santa Cruz to visit my hometown.

1 Like

Grilled rib eye with a caramelized onion, butter, soy sauce, herb topping. Sides were green salad and potato salad. Very happy for a three day weekend.

20 Likes

Super nice

1 Like

@pilgrim

Simple. Elegant.

3 Likes

Last night we went out to New Hope, PA for my birthday. We got things started at our favorite dive bar. After a drink outside it was just too hot so we moved inside. This was our first time “out” since March. The bar had plexiglass shields between every two stools. Masks were worn by everyone when not seated and the crowd was small.

After that, we moved to The Salt House which was built in 1751. Had been wanting to try it for a long time and enjoy the ambience inside. However, they had outside seating only but with private enclosed canopies for each table. The server took down our orders outside the tent and only came when placing the food.

We had bacon-wrapped dates which were delectable and shared a scallop entree which they plated for us separately. They were seared to perfection and served over saffron polenta which was so creamy it was like a sauce. One of the best scallop dishes I’ve ever had at a restaurant. For entrees, we both got the Salt House Burger which had caramelized onion and gruyere cheese. For cocktails, he had the “Dark and Stormy Daniels” and I had "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder ", which was their take on the Sazerac: rye, chartreuse, bitters, and Absinthe. Two of those, and even for this guy who can hold his liquor, it was LIGHTS OUT. Between the scallops (one of the finest dishes I’ve ever had) and the drinks, this place is exceptional and knows what they’re doing.

20 Likes

It all looks perfectly fabulous @gcaggiano - glad you were able to get out. SIL born and raised in New Hope - will try to visit at some point. Speaking of sweltering heat, we topped out at 59 degrees yesterday…brrr. Thanks for the pics, living vicariously these days.

What was the dipping sauce for the dates?

1 Like

The menu did not specify but from what I remember, I think it was a garlic aioli. The bacon was Berkshire.

It’s a beautiful town and can really become quite the party area. But last night people appeared to be behaving themselves.

Back to NJ today, and back to being hermits!

1 Like

Thanks - it looked like aioli, but that seems heavy and unnecessary for an already delectable appetizer. Do you feel it enhanced them at all?

Your drink sounds interesting…did you happen to see the green fairy, known to occur with absinthe? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Kind of like the green flash…but different :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Enhanced? No. They were delicious on their own. The bacon was so crispy that it crackled around the date upon biting. But a touch of the creaminess it added was okay in my book.

I’ve had Absinthe many times (I own two bottles) and am still waiting to see the green fairy!

1 Like

Well, if you do, you’ll probably feel like crap! I saw her, but she was in the dispenser at the “O” bar in NOLA in 2015. In 2017, they had taken her out. Funny, and will try to post a pic. The history of absinthe, and the observed “Green Hour” fascinates me. And the accessories - don’t get me started even! Do you have a bottle of Lucid, per chance?

Sorry to get OT, back to WFD!

1 Like

I love their cocktail names! :grin: and your dinner looks wonderful. I hope you had a very happy birthday!

2 Likes

I have Lucid and Vieux Carre. I like each one for different reasons. I got into Absinthe after teaching a course on the history of liquor at the local community college.

1 Like

We have always loved New Hope. The Salt House sounds great Wish we were there!

1 Like

It looks like you and Justin had a lovely evening. Good for you.

Is a Dark and Stormy Daniels a Dark and Stormy with Jack Daniels instead of rum? If so, I may have to make one tonight. If not, I still may have to make one tonight.

5 Likes

Happy belated birthday! And many more.

1 Like

That would have made sense! But no, just dark rum. They did add bitters and a muddled cherry though, in addition to the customary lime.