What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Thanks for asking. He has a bad heart valve so he won’t get better better - it’s just a question of can it be managed to keep his heart failure treated. Vet said if he reacts well to the medications, maybe a year or so. I just want him to be comfortable and happy. I’m not here to torture him for my needs! Meds seems to be helping so far (sleeping, not coughing, etc.). Good times. :frowning_face:

11 Likes

That’s my kind of multi-tasking!

2 Likes

There are various opinions here:
https://thedogvisitor.com/qa/can-hot-sauce-kill-you

that and your love will make his last year with you a happy one. xoxo

5 Likes

I made Grace Young’s Chinese American Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, adding CSA sugar snaps and shitakes and carrots grown by our friend. I marinated the shrimp in salt, rice wine, baking soda, egg white, and cornstarch first. Tasty, if not very photogenic. Served over cauli rice with a smidge if brown rice for heft.

16 Likes

well, only if someone gavaged me with hot sauce. on my own, i’d stop before that happened, as that article said.:
"Capsaicin, which is the chemical that makes chilis hot , does cause tissue inflammation so the stomach or intestines might be damaged by a sufficiently large dose.

But still, your body would stop the intake before that happens."

1 Like

that looks delicious! glares at seafood-disliking BF

3 Likes

I have read that some persons’ throats can swell up after consumption of small amounts of terrifically hot sauces, making breathing impossible. True? Well, I’m not going to try it.

Beautiful pizza. I hope your Aussie will be well. They have a special place in my heart. We currently live with two boys.

2 Likes

That harshes the cooking/meal-sharing mojo. Good thing he’s a great chef/co-eater otherwise!

1 Like

With you to love and take care of that pup, I imagine there are more lovely days ahead for you both.

1 Like

Zoodles made a homey dinner and a healthy dent in the week’s produce.

13 Likes

We had dinner outside tonight, which is out of the ordinary since we usually just drink outside and then come in to eat.

The parmesan-spinach gnocchi was one of the best things I’ve ever made. Rather than explain the process, here is the recipe. Only difference is I browned them in butter before working on the creamy cheese sauce with freshly shaved parmesan. It gave a layer of crunch to this rich side. They completely overshadowed the main, which was chicken stuffed with asparagus and Provolone. A very cheesy night!

To drink: a special martini I had at a bar in New Brunswick, NJ right before COVID started, consisting of gin, Lillet, and orange peel. For gin, I used the last of my Gin Lane 1751 Old Tom Gin, which is sweeter than London Dry, and meshes well with the Lillet. I had three. I think.

12 Likes

Absolutely crashed and burned today after a truly disappointing grocery shopping trip.
Dialing up this video encouraged me to throw together some boxed and canned stuff for dinner.

Here’s what we had at the end of the day…

Betty’s Au Gratin Potatoes and tuna salad sandwiches on a nice Sourdough Bread.

16 Likes

Chorizo & gr. beef meatloaf i made on Sunday, with a bacon and a maple syrup/ketchup glaze. Could have used more of the glaze. Garlicky potatoes with the PSTOB, and purple cauli and yellow zukes sauteed in more of the same on the side.

13 Likes

Chicken tacos (not pictured) Had to run to the Mexican market to get some decent corn tortillas, and multicolored fingerling potatoes and carrots, which were roasted in the counter oven. A nice IPA to go along with dinner

13 Likes

Hummus topped with spiced ground beef, onion, and cherry tomatoes. And bread.

15 Likes

One of my favorites! What was on the beef?

1 Like

One of my favorites as well

1 Like

Probably base on hummus bil lahme. When someone tells me they don’t like chickpeas I make a crucifix with my index fingers :-1:

3 Likes