What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Thanks @ChristinaM, it sounds delicious. Napa-carrot kimchi, how do you prepare it?

1 Like

Veggie japchae.

19 Likes

Mushroom ravioli from a local Italian deli. Excellent! Most of the time these SF deli, frozen, stuffed pastas end up being mush inside and not all that flavorful, to me anyway (I’m talking to you, Molinari’s, and even YOU, my late, departed Lucca’s!) These were great, with distinct pieces of chopped mushrooms and good shroomy flavor. They’re made by a local company. I made a sauce of chopped shallot sauteed in butter, olive oil, Amontillado sherry, parm reggiano and a little basil. Sausages were Calabrian, from the same deli. First good, farmers market, dry farmed tomatoes of the season, with just a little evoo, s&p on them. BF roasted an endive. All quite satisfying.

19 Likes

My DH made it. Ingredients: Chopped Napa cabbage and unpeeled CSA carrot, rough chopped garlic, gochugaru chili flake, fish sauce, ground dried shrimp (Latin market), Caldwell’s vegetable starter, ginger, scallion/onion (he’s not sure - we don’t taste it and don’t think he added), and pink Himalayan salt. A little filtered water. Then into a fermenting jar with a crock rock on top (weight) and silicone gasket/nipple in the lid). It turned out really good! Def recommend the Caldwell’s for good quality ferments.

4 Likes

OMG yes. Love this stuff.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a summer version of her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad with arugula, sugar snap and snow peas, sautéed red onions, and a ton of fresh fruit including kiwi, mango, strawberry, blueberry, grapes, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, among other ingredients. It was topped with a reduced balsamic syrup and fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano. We had a refreshing cocktail with vermouth, seltzer, fresh mint and fruit.

14 Likes

This may be the first time I’ve seen you two with a cocktail instead of wine!

So dry vermouth, seltzer, and was the fruit muddled at all?

2 Likes

Tonight was a pizza and mojitos outside kind of night. We had a friend over for some social distance hanging out. His birthday is in a few days, so there was cake as well. :birthday:

5 Likes

Yes, we are not really cocktail drinkers. Mrs. P was just experimenting plus she wanted to use the cool whimsical glasses :smile: The fruit was muddled after I took the picture. She squeezed the strawberry and added blueberries and let it soak a while. It was initially very sweet but got better once we let the fruit soak up the alcohol a little. The fresh mint also gave it a nice flavor.

3 Likes

@paryzer what an explosion of color and texture. Looks amazing and delicious

2 Likes

Last night I made samosa chaat (using frozen TJ’s samosa as a base), and Rogan Josh (Indian lamb curry), which I changed up by adding spinach and potatoes because I didn’t feel like making sides. Brown basmati rice alongside.

17 Likes

Thanks for the reminder to buy bacon this week. I LOVEEEEEEEEEE BLTs!

5 Likes

Thank you @Scubadoo97 :blush: It was almost too pretty to eat :slightly_smiling_face:

I love your use of the various Asian condiments in your cupboard @ChristinaM. Helpful. You have a really good handle on what compliments what.

P. S. I’m in the beginning of this thread and will probably see more, but for now - Camping Chicken & Dumplings! :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Grilled corn on the cob, grilled chicken and grilled steak for dinner at my friend’s house. Baby cheesecakes for dessert. There was wine. And watermelon vodka slushies.

17 Likes

Those Turkish eggs on yogurt with browned butter. çilbir

Too much butter. Don’t quote me; I’ll deny it.

16 Likes

Home from the country -> bits and pieces, somethings old, somethings new. Veg plate with cold “planned over” barbeque pork loin

17 Likes

So… whatizit?

Looks rich.

I added too much browned butter, if there is such a thing.

It’s çilbir

Or
TURKISH POACHED EGGS WITH GARLICKY YOGURT (ÇILBIR)

@Presunto started it.

4 Likes

TY.
I think I could sit down with this and an unsliced loaf of french bread and eat until I suffered a food Coma.

3 Likes