What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Looks like a fantastic celebration.

1 Like

Happy Birthday, @gcaggiano! looks like a splendid celebration, especially under the circumstances. here’s hoping next year’s is even better!

1 Like

I made pizza again and finally got MUCH closer to my ideal. The dough was super sticky (almost impossible to shape) but spread out nice and thin, and I used only white bread flour. Plus some olive oil, salt, and fast-acting yeast. Did three dough cycles in the breadmaker and a fridge rest.

17 Likes

Looks fantastic! I’m curious - what is the purpose of doing three dough cycles in the bread machine? Is it for kneading and/or rising purposes? Sounds like a great and easy way to do it. How long was the frig rest? Thanks.

1 Like

I wanted large shrimp for tonight’s meal, but Hannaford’s was from Indonesia, so I passed. Eggs stood in for the protein.

Spinach, baby lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, blanched asparagus, tomatoes, cukes, radishes, carrots, goat cheese.

Vinaigrette came from here.

16 Likes

Mrs. P made some gorgeous red snapper filets that we got from Local 130 Seafood. We had it with a side of asparagus. It went great with a nice Italian Primitivo.

16 Likes

Capers?

1 Like

I just wanted good gluten development - may have been wholly unnecessary. Someone who knows bread will have to weigh in. Fridge rest was around 4 hrs.

The usual “It’s Friday so it must be New York strip”, but with the remaining (pigeon) peas and rice, and our new regular, roasted harissa carrots.

15 Likes

Looks fab @shrinkrap!

1 Like

Pasta with prawns, tomato, basil, sorrel, white wine. DH had already dug in before I got to the table…

10 Likes

Yes. It was a caper, fresh herb, butter, and vermouth sauce.

1 Like

I have both! How do you do them?

1 Like

Tonight we had pizzas made with prepared whole wheat dough from our supermarket grocery delivery. Veggie crudités on the side because I can’t be bothered with real sides right now. Long week. There was wine.

16 Likes

Nice variety!

1 Like

Happy July 4th from España and all our best wishes during these very challenging times …

6 Likes

I am sure you know this but:

Italian Fennel bulb is a lightly anise tasting and aromatic vegetable … Which we adore. It is amazing with fresh orange slices … or tomato or red onion or green scallion …

Fennel seed is a dried spice used predominately in Indian Cuisine. I have never used it however, we enjoy going to an Indian Restaurant when we visit The Madrid Capital, which is located very close to the British Embassy …

Have a wonderful weekend.

@Barca, how very nice of you to recognize our American holiday, and thank you for your gracious wishes. Trying times indeed, but hoping for better days. Best to you and yours! :us: :es:

1 Like

Sort of like this, but I’ve also done it roasted and peeled, without the parboil. Not sure which is more work, but when I paf boil, I always want to re-use the water, and “away-we-go”.

Now I’ll have to make

Or
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1717661

4 Likes

Thanks, Barca. Since those '70s camping days we’ve definitely come to know and love fennel in all its forms. I love it simply braised with white wine and EVOO, a perfect accompaniment to many protein courses. And what would a fish soup be without fennel?

1 Like