What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Stunning flowers!

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: Another 13 flowers opened up this morning!

4 Likes

We made Lomo Saltado last night and I must say these fries were a triumph. Fried and removed from the oil right before they brown. Then into the freezer for a half hour and fried again. They developed a glorious golden color as well as an outer crust making them super crispy.

And the main event: not for the low-carb folks. The Peruvians knew what they were doing with this one. Great late night drinking food. I did the fries. BF did the rest.

24 Likes

I’m not all that familiar with Peruvian food, except for the roasted chicken, but I am definitely going to do some exploring based on the above. Do you (or Justin) recommend any particular recipe sources?

2 Likes

Lobster fra diavolo, thanks to $5.99 per pound steamed lobsters I snagged at the supermarket. (That’s Market Basket for ya’ll on the Boston board.)

The lobsters were hard shelled in the extreme. Picking the meat took me the better part of an hour, even with kitchen scissors, a nut cracker, and my sturdy chef’s knife at hand. Worth the effort to see my husband’s happy face when he set eyes on the meal.

I wanted us to feel like we were at the seaside even though we’re not. Worked!

24 Likes

This is the only Peruvian dish I/we have ever prepared (and eaten for that matter). No written recipe. His mom used to make it frequently even though they are not Peruvian. There are several online which vary but essentially produce the same product, including some which use soy sauce.

He put the sliced steak directly into a hot pan with a little olive oil. Cook until browned and the meat starts to release its juices. Next in chopped garlic, salt, pepper, adobo powder, and cumin. You can add all these to suit your tastes but the cumin is pronounced. Stir in tomatoes and a dab of Goya tomato sauce-- literally it seemed like a quarter of the smallest can they sell. Cook until they soften. Add onion and cook until slightly softened but still have a little crunch. Fries go in at the very end just to heat them up.

There. I think that’s it. Not bad for a couple of drunks!

12 Likes

What a stunning green veggie assortment …

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

Looks amazingly exceptional …

Pleased that your
Dear One, was so pleasantly surprised.

Always so nice to hear …

1 Like

Thank you so much. I have some beef in the freezer which I am going to pull out right now.

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes and post pics!

And there are some recipes that say you can bake the fries or cook frozen fries and add them, but for this, freshly homemade French Fries make all the difference. We usually do steak fry size, but it doesn’t really matter. Its worth the extra work…and mess. LOL

1 Like

Did you notice how I left out mentioning fries? I’ve never made “real” french fries and am not sure I’m going to start now. The only thing I fry is Mr. Bean’s fluke and then only when he begs.

2 Likes

Saturday lunch out at a unique Asian Restaurant serving Japanese, Indo-chine, and a variety of Chinese regional.

ASIANSUNDAYSEATING104859103_10214519165927550_2465112825201709212_o|584x700

17 Likes

Ah, I miss market basket so much. Whole foods is absolutely not a substitute

2 Likes

Gorgeous, Denise! Makes me jealous that my sweetie doesn’t like shellfish.

1 Like

Thank you! The Asian restaurant you went to looked gorgeous and the food looked stunning.
We are about to dine out for the first time in over 3 months. Mrs. P was finally able to get her hair and nails done this week :slightly_smiling_face:
Enjoy your weekend as well.

2 Likes

Thanks. Very simple dinner. Just the basics

Yes, we all have been hesitant about lunching out (not on terrace) … However, we had driven to visit our parents and inlaws and they also have been very hesitant …

However, we decided that we all needed a break ! So, we had gone to an upscale Asian venue that my twins sons and my daughter in laws go to …

It was quite unique …

And the Nigriri was quite exceptional.

Thanks again and pleased to hear that you and Mrs. P. are going to go for lunch or dinner …

Have a wonderful time … And a lovely lovely summer.

3 Likes

I’m sure frozen will work just as good. Just make sure they are crispy so they hold up when added to the rest of the dish. At least you will have less to clean up. That prevents me from making this more often. After I’m done with the fries I feel like I’ve done enough work to already have a meal and I’m not even halfway!

While I’ve made homemade potato chips for years, I never actually made homemade French fries until last year, which is when we started making this dish.

1 Like

Taco carryout. The flour tortillas are tacos de Arabes.

13 Likes

Sometimes it works out.
Sometimes it doesn’t.
Tonight was a doesn’t.

Pan-seared duck breast with what ended up being a crappy, too thin blackberry sauce on my part.

Israeli couscous and asparagus alongside. And wine. Because.

Maybe some ice cream for dessert.
More likely some Cuarenta y Tres.
Because it’s upstairs and the ice cream is downstairs.

P.S. I’m surprised, but I don’t like D’Artagnan duck breasts. It’s what Wegmans had last time I was there, and it’s not as good as their previous brand (which I can’t recall).

13 Likes