What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Try The Botanist Gin. For some things, it is too perfumed for me, and it’s too expensive, but for the drink with vermouth and soda, as you described it, it’s brilliant.

4 Likes

Bringing strawberry cheesecake bites to a bbq tonight.
Recipe from Bonnie Stern’s collection.
All the cheesecake goodness in a manageable party sized bite. One 8x8; 16 squares. Easy. Used up the ripe NJ farm picked berries. Used gf granola for the base.

23 Likes

Looks like the Total Wine I frequent carries it - I’ll have to check it out next time I place an order!

Dinner last night; comfort food again…was in the mood for something punchier, but H cooked. It was cool & rainy, so soup weather, at least. Both were good, but esp grilled cheese on homemade bread that’s still holding up well.

16 Likes

Looks like the perfect dessert for a bbq!

1 Like

It’s finally beginning to feel like summer. Grilled chicken and radicchio along side herb-laced tabouli with tahini. Eaten outside because we could.

20 Likes

Sorry…but think of it as a memorable moment. A now departed friend dribbled red wine on our ivory couch. I got most of it out but a remaining scar makes me smile as i remember this nice person we can no longer share time with.

11 Likes

Shawarma chicken - marinated all night in Greek yogurt, minced garlic, grated onion, cumin, turmeric, coriander, allspice, cinnamon, s&p, lemon juice, evoo. Pita i warmed over the chicken a few minutes before serving. Rice was leftover plain, that I heated with butter, bay leaves, turmeric. Cuke sauce of yogurt, cilantro, dill, s&p, minced garlic, lime juice, cayenne. BF steamed beets and I marinated them in lemon/mandarin juice, evoo, touch of pom syrup, sprinkle of coriander, s&p.

chicken%20shawarma%20turmeric%20rice%20cuke%20sauce

22 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the greatest slaw in history, but with an Asian spin. Shredded cabbage, equal parts mayo and sour cream (I did not measure, but trivial amounts), splash of rice vinegar, and a heaping spoonful of my new food obsession: Chinese chili crisp oil. I made this to top some Dr. Praeger Korean veggie burgers, but it is good enough to eat out of the bowl. So much flavor and a slight spice/numbing from the Sichuan peppers in the oil. Originally, I just wanted to make a spicy mayo with the chili crisp because I wanted to avoid using cheese tonight, but my friend convinced me to make the slaw. I’m glad she did.

With sweet potato fries that I left in the air fryer too long.

24 Likes

Great idea! I may try that tomorrow. I’ve never thought of gin and soda, but the splash of vermouth would seem to make it a great summer drink.

Also, unrelated, I have to recommend a concoction consisting of Prosecco, splashes of gin and elderflower liqueur, and lemon twist.

5 Likes

I have all of that in the house and it is going to be hot tomorrow…I think I know what we’re drinking tomorrow night!

2 Likes

A friend and I “invented” it a few years back. Well, we drank so much of it that we figured we might as well have.

Can’t find an exact name for the drink online. It’s similar to a French 75 but not quite. Also seen it called an English Garden.

Maybe we did invent it after all! :grinning:

Let me know how you like it.

In San Diego, they called it a French Connection @gcaggiano; in Charleston SC, they called it a Summer Breeze. In any case, my very favorite quaff, except I use gin, with splashes of Prosecco…:monkey::cocktail::monkey: I’ve taken to calling it an English Garden, mainly as per edification by you! Glad to find kindred cocktail spirits here. Pun intended, I guess…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Some versions use a cucumber too, but that’s too ghastly a thought for me. :astonished:

I tackled this piece of steelhead like it was the only fish I’ve had in over two years . Pan frying it on medium low skin side down with my favorite seasoning. Mayonnaise, salt , and pepper. The skin was crispy with all that could be expected. I’ll be making the two hour round trip again. I found my fish monger. Mashed potatoes and Cole slaw. Cheers.

21 Likes

Nor for me, too much like a Pimm’s Cup maybe? Anyway, doesn’t float my boat! Besides, how can you improve pure perfection?

1 Like

I love mayo on fish. My recipe is similar except I broil the fish and sprinkle the mayo with grated parmesan cheese mixed with panko for a just a bit of crunch on top.

2 Likes

I like this thought @pilgrim; I have a favorite tablecloth, which has done its duty for many dinner parties, and holiday celebrations. It’s had a lot spilled on it, most especially various red wines. It’s been an idea for some time to get fabric paint pens, set them near the table, and have everyone sign and date their mishaps; that way the tablecloth could better commemorate the already great memories we have of happy times around our table. I did/do like it so much, I bought a new one exactly like it.

3 Likes

I like Pimm’s, just not anything with cucumber. I can barely get Tzatziki down.

The English Garden is just fine without it. Perfection, as you say. If people need something to munch on, that’s what a martini and olives are for.

2 Likes

I’m with you @MsBean, regarding the mayo on fish - keeps it nice and moist.

3 Likes