What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

I’ve never had Cincinnati chili but from my understanding the flavor profile of the meat sauce is similar. The variations of what you pick to include are endless. The bottom layer is usually the “carb”, then your “protein”, then the sauce and toppings. One of The Sprout’s favorites is with a grilled cheese sandwich as the protein.

This is a picture of my one - and only - real garbage plate from Henrietta Hots. Eaten when we finished moving her out after graduation last year.

15 Likes

I’m slowly venturing out to do in-person shopping and grabbed a nice piece of haddock and a small half head of cabbage. My deep fry oil was reaching it’s last legs and my son had vegetarian leftovers, so fish and chips sounded perfect. My husband is a big creamy cole slaw fan, but this one definitely had a bit too much vinegar. Anyway, both the fries and the fish hit the spot.

23 Likes

I have a crush on Marcona almonds. A couple years ago, we tasted an amazing roasted carrot dish on Martha’s Vineyard that featured Marconas. I have been fancying up grilled and roasted veg with them ever since.

Swell with a glass of wine too. Not that I’d know. :wink:

5 Likes

Friday … A light lunch for 2 of classic regional Tapas and a Japanese treat … !

1. CROQUETAS CON BACALAO.
  2. NORWAY BAY LOBSTER = CIGALA, CARABINERO = CREVETTE & EXTRA LARGE PRAWN CALLED A LANGOSTINO …
    croquetas103787067_3427835397250200_2332259466071510996_o|700x700
17 Likes

What is your meatball sauce? I’m always on the lookout for a non tomato sauce. Yep, back to the picky household. I think my only non tomato sauce for meatballs is a mushroom cream one.

Funny you should ask! I had the same qthere. More Than Gourmet Classic French Demi-Glace vs Glace de Viande Gold Reduced Brown Stock,

So just a brown gravy then?

Yes. Barely brown. I have also made a harissa sauce for lamb meatballs. It’s around here somewhere.

2 Likes

Quick and simple dinner tonight.

Cheeboigah!
Cheeps!
Chardonnay!

13 Likes

Mahi and avocado salad. Glad to have an appetite back

22 Likes

Great to read you are doing well. Nice looking dinner!

4 Likes

Glad to hear that your appetite is back!

3 Likes

4th day of high 90s.
Pasta with housemade ricotta, sausage and peas.

Tomatoes

18 Likes

oh lordy lord lord, was this good. BF & I had watched a Food Wishes video with local dude Chef John for pulled pork braised in maple syrup and apple cider vinegar, with cornbread pancakes. BF decided he wanted to make cornbread muffins instead, so we had sliders. I was in charge of the pork. Amazing! pork shoulder gets rubbed with smoked paprika, chipotle, s&p, crushed fennel, granulated garlic, browned at high heat and then braised. BF’s muffins were perfectly tender. We buttered them before filling and drizzled with more syrup. Heaven.

Big salad again, this time with a basil/mint dressing i made. Went really well with the pork.

A friend gifted me this syrup from MA. Best maple syrup I’ve ever had.

Kristy's%20maple%20syrup

24 Likes

that looks scrumptious! glad you’re back in the game!

I think they may have ruined our 3-yo for almonds for the rest of his life. He couldn’t get enough. Kinda proud :laughing:

2 Likes

Strip steaks on the bone, fennel and hakurei turnips glazed in the pan drippings with mirin and soy sauce, spicy sweet potato fries, and kale salad with citronette. Yumzzz.

18 Likes

Mrs. P made a refreshing Spring pea salad with sugar snap, snow, and English peas to go with more of those excellent Local 130 Seafood black bass filets. It all went great with an excellent red blend aged in rum barrels. Our passionflowers are very happy. We had 8 flowers today and 9 yesterday. Too bad they only bloom for one day.

25 Likes

Birthday dinner for my Gal Pal was Shrimp Stir Fry. Kept growing in volume as I found more to add.
This pic because I love all the green:

Plated, it was beige. But had quite a few flavors going on.

22 Likes

Stunning flowers!

3 Likes