What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

English muffins with home made apricot and plum jam.

14 Likes

I made Seafood & Beans @emglow101!

Ayocote Blanco Beans, Olive Oil, Salt Pork, Leeks, Garlic, Carrots, Celery Seed, Bay Leaves, White Pepper, Smoked Salt & Skosh of Vinegar for finish, Fennel Sprig

This was the first time I cooked this bean. :heart: They’re sturdy and a little starchy (potato-like), but very creamy, tender, really delicious and make a great broth.

Clams, Black Tiger Shrimp, Big Sweet Scallops (quartered), Wine, Fennel, Tomato, Beans, Turmeric, Olive Oil, Garlic Oil, Butter, Salt, Crushed Red Pepper, Lemon, Garlic Chive & Fennel Sprig Garnish

I had saffron in the cabinet waiting to be used, but it must’ve gotten tired of waiting and moved to the neighbor’s house… I couldn’t find it, and used turmeric for a little color instead. Placed seafood on top of cooked beans (clams first), cooked covered until they opened (about 5 minutes total). Everything cooked perfectly. Unfortunately, no mussels - fishmonger said he didn’t like how they looked and rejected them, but this combo worked out well.

20 Likes

wow! Looks delicious

2 Likes

Love a good pot roast. Looks delicious

1 Like

My cousin came back from Turkey with a great recipe. Not a big green bean eater but I love them like that.

3 Likes

I love stewed green beans, in all its Mediterranean persuasions. This summer I am starting new seeds every two weeks to see what works.

6 Likes

How ya’ feeling?

3 Likes

Ok gracieggg and Christina - a story from when my 18yo!!! was about 3. Used to take him to the farmers market every week where he absolutely adored all the samples of everything they had out for the customers. But we would buy these gorgeous stone fruit and come home and he refused it all. It took a minute, but then we started to slice them really thin, all the peaches, nectarines, plums, and ask him if he wanted a plate of samples. Of course he did. :slight_smile: Parenting is a job requiring many talents.

17 Likes

Better, thanks. I can eat again without gastric issues. Walking around fine but still sore in some areas. Laparoscopic surgery makes a big difference when compared to the last one some 20+ years ago. My cousin, a plastic surgeon, had his 2 days after mine and went to work the next day but I think they were tinkering around inside of me a bit long since I had previous hernia surgery in the same area

13 Likes

Well said, and thanks for sharing; parenting is indeed a job of many talents - I so remember the days! I salute all of you who are still doing it actively on a day to day basis - hardest job I’ve ever done. But guess what? It does continue even when they’re fully grown, but in a different way. We always clear all menu plans w/kids, especially #1, because certain things don’t go with others, or she doesn’t like our salads, etc. It’s pretty funny actually. They eat a wide variety of things, which is good, but they’re high maintenance…

2 Likes

Healthy recovery @Scubadoo97!

2 Likes

Thanks, back in the kitchen, except now. My wife’s baking bread

Feeling pretty good

6 Likes

Glad you are on the mend @Scubadoo97! Hope that your healthy appetite returns soon.

2 Likes

Thanks eating pretty normally now

3 Likes

Gorgeous fish, prep and presentation. Wow!

1 Like

I decided I like saying it - Pibil! - more than I like eating it. But I could eat some fried plaintains daily. Mmmm…

2 Likes

:drooling_face: Happy Delicious Anniversary!

1 Like

So funny. Way to think on your feet!

2 Likes

Tonight was Vietnamese sticky, spicy smoked wings, ramen slaw, and leftover mashed. It worked!

19 Likes

After our harrowing boxed dinner last night, what do you suppose I did? I got another box out and fried it up!

Third instruction on the box was uncover and fry to desired crispness. That’s like telling a NASCAR hopeful: “There’s no Governor on the throttle. Go as fast as you want.” Fried potatoes and terrific cold cut sandwiches for dinner tonight…

17 Likes