What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

At first I thought the polenta was sorbet; as always, it looks beautiful. Have a great weekend!

2 Likes

A quiet day after a morning venture to the supermarket for a veggie stock up, thinking a thundahboomah was going to appear in the afternoon. But that didnt happen…just some dark clouds and distant rumblies in the sky. Back to a bright blue sky an hour later.

I had decided on tonight’s dinner last night: a quick composed salad with the rest of the lettuce in my veg bin, tomatoes, sliced cukes and radishes, grated carrots, red bell peppers, small slices of the other steak tip, goat cheese, and croutons, with a creamy peppercorn dressing from Penzeys.

Pic is pre-dressing and croutons because it looks better. :grin:

There WAS a second date with the bottle of wine I met last night. The bottle is drained dry. :wink:

23 Likes

I just started choking on my dinner from laughing so hard! I f’love this term!

6 Likes

Pretty

1 Like

Absolutely stunning salad, glad the Canadian palm trees gave you a good laugh, and my (extra marital) dating life includes same! :smiley_cat::wine_glass:

2 Likes

I took the well worth 2 hour round trip for some excellent gourmet takeout from Il Nido. We enjoyed a pork chop, grilled branzino, duck confit salad, fried squash blossoms, and ricottina (fresh ricotta with 24 month San Danielle prosciutto, and an excellent fig jam). It all went great with Josh cabernet aged in bourbon barrels. We are also starting to get some wisteria flowers to open.

19 Likes

Wow. Nice

2 Likes

Thank you! Cheers :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Beautiful food, and lovely ambience; wisteria has the added benefit of a fabulous fragrance, as well. Thanks once again for the eye candy, and vicarious, gustatory pleasure.

5 Likes

Ah, I love it when people spring for the good soy!

1 Like

Thank you @Lambchop! We were very fortunate to have nice weather and be able to dine on the deck that Mrs. P beautifully designed. It is a real oasis out here.

Last night was hamburger stroganoff and lemony kale salad. Kiddo ate both :raised_hands:t2: We ate on the porch.

Heading out for a couple days at a lake cabin…wish us luck! Of course I prepped way too much food and vino :laughing:

19 Likes

Never too much food or vino! Have a good time!

3 Likes

@ChristinaM, have a wonderful time at the lake; perhaps it’s the beautiful Lake Lure, nearby. No matter, wish for you a maximum of relaxation, enjoyment of your food, and the fun of watching your little one explore the wonders of nature. Best, and be well. Enjoy the heck out of the :wine_glass::clinking_glasses: too!

1 Like

Impossible to pack too much wine! Enjoy the time away!

3 Likes

As some say, it’s never too late to have a happy childhood. Dinner last night was proof positive. Tuna noodle casserole. H made, and absolutely delicious. With our tender, young garden spinach, sautéed in olive oil with shallot. I couldn’t have been happier with a 5 star meal. I did have a pre dinner cocktail too. Please note the retro Pyrex casserole, inherited from my mom, who cooked quite well Occasionally, but quite often opened cans, or relied on frozen. Dish in pristine condition, I’m trying to remember ever seeing it in use for our family of 5. In any case I’m really enjoying past decades, as I’m simply checking in and out of 2020, with regularity. You’ll

all be the first to know if I figure out how to time travel :smiley_cat:

21 Likes

Cooked just for me yesterday - frozen dumplings for brunch (har how and chicken and cilantro) that also became leftovers for dinner. Hit the spot. I timed the hat how better this time, so they were the right texture and not the gummy mess of the previous time. Not a neat pic, but a yummy plate. Chilli oil from our family favorite dim sum place in India.

Early evening I also fried bhajiya for the kids and eventually everyone - sliced potato fritters in a lightly spiced gram flour (besan) batter. Also did onions the same way. Forgot to fry some of our home-grown chillies too.

Had two looooong calls with different groups of friends after the frying session. Late night craving for chocolate - made the water chocolate mousse with the best texture yet, so I know now to leave it looser than my instinct.

20 Likes

Last night was a quick-fix rotisserie chicken via Costco. Picked it up the day before. 45 mins in the oven on 350 restored it to as good as new. Sides of garlic mashed potatoes, spinach, and air-fried zucchini sticks.

To drink was several martinis, but on the rocks. I used to view this as sacrilege but it was hot last night and I just did not feel like sipping straight alcohol. It was quite refreshing, actually.

22 Likes

Committing sacrileges can actually be quite nice.

5 Likes

Lazy day.
All good intentions to marinate dinner tonight.
I didn’t.
So a throw-together dinner worked out.

A turkey tenderloin seasoned with olive oil, s/p, a pinch of garlic powder, dried thyme, and roasted in the oven with some white wine and fresh lime juice drizzled over top a couple of times during the cooking.

Roasted Penzeys Tuscan Sunset potatoes and steamed green beans alongside.

AND wine.
AND Lemon Posset with fresh berries for dessert.

21 Likes