What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Yesterday’s dinner - chicken pelmeni from the freezer with some sour cream.

16 Likes

Chicken Mole Chili w/Yellow Indian Woman Beans

Notice the difference in color from the batch below cooked in a different pot. The above batch was done in my fairly new Lodge Dutch Oven. I had fried a lot of food to season it before cooking beans or other acidic foods, and had previously cooked White Beans which turned out beautifully. But I think the Lemon Pot Roast stripped the seasoning and it oxidized again… it was worth it. :wink: Anyhoo, they were still creamy w/a rich broth and the slight, distinct sweetness of YIW Beans. Maybe the visual colored my perception of the flavors, but I detected a bit of the oxidization. Lodge says it’s not toxic. :woman_shrugging:

Previous batch… Aren’t they pretty? Look at the luscious bean gravy these beauties make.

Most of my leftovers wind up as soup or with an egg on top. Huevos Rancheros w/Chili.

Happy Eating!

22 Likes

@gcaggiano, I finished the last of my crunchy hot Chile oil with all the goodies in it. Another pho like soup. Delicious. Have a jar of Chile crisp, but know I’ll have to provision up very soon. Wonderful stuff! Will have to try the crisp on baguette now too. Your patio libations look great. We’re waiting for warmer weather. Still chilly up here and I’m ready for summer. Have a great weekend!

1 Like

My truffle salt, is just sea salt with black truffle. With it, I was also gifted a jar of lime Fresca salt, just sea salt and lime. As well a jar of smoked Black Sea salt, which was excellent and is totally gone. Made by the Spice Farm near Sonora, California. Will have to find out if they’re still being made.

Our dinner was nachos made with leftover taco fixings from Thursday night.

Oh 2 failed kitchen projects yesterday; one totally unsalvageable, and another that was really disappointed. Will post in the GF
and dessert threads later today. Hate it when that happens!

2 Likes

I like the way you think.

My favorite is sambal manis. My Dutch neighbor introduced me to it. (Indonesian food is popular in the Netherlands.)

Conimex brand is what she gave me to try. The brand does have shrimp paste in it, which would be useful to know if anyone has shellfish allergy or follows a vegan diet.

2 Likes

Halibut and cod fish tacos. Topped with lettuce, avocado, cilantro, spur cream and a little hot sauce.
Dinner was good, but more exciting was that DH brought home a veggie box from Thao family farm so I have a weekend to learn about and cook lots of new stuff. The items I’ve never used were amaranth leaves, water spinach, long beans, and sprouted cauliflower.

26 Likes

Oh nice! Some of our local restaurants are selling pantry & produce boxes to supplement income, and I recently received some Thao Family Farm produce from Republique.

2 Likes

Where are you located?

@gcaggiano, near Seattle, and we seem to be experiencing what we call Juneuary, or sometimes June gloom, as they do in parts of California. But good news is that we didn’t have gray May. An extraordinary amount of sunshine most of spring. I also have a huge palm tree, as well as a few large tropicals, in the front yard, as our climate is quite mild. Gardening zone 8b. Oh, and we have a deck heater too, often called Canadian palm trees up here. :grin:

3 Likes

Couple of dinners this past week. Good old home cooking. Some of the asparagus stalks lost their heads due to the revolution, no, I mean to getting too old in the fridge. But the stalks were still good & a good many heads. Try for not much waste around here. The pho was actually lunch, with the condiments used for my bowl.

18 Likes

DINNERPOLENTAFOUR89597227_2771196532916870_16470735723692032_n

Saturday: Veal Milanese con Polenta.

20 Likes

At first I thought the polenta was sorbet; as always, it looks beautiful. Have a great weekend!

2 Likes

A quiet day after a morning venture to the supermarket for a veggie stock up, thinking a thundahboomah was going to appear in the afternoon. But that didnt happen…just some dark clouds and distant rumblies in the sky. Back to a bright blue sky an hour later.

I had decided on tonight’s dinner last night: a quick composed salad with the rest of the lettuce in my veg bin, tomatoes, sliced cukes and radishes, grated carrots, red bell peppers, small slices of the other steak tip, goat cheese, and croutons, with a creamy peppercorn dressing from Penzeys.

Pic is pre-dressing and croutons because it looks better. :grin:

There WAS a second date with the bottle of wine I met last night. The bottle is drained dry. :wink:

23 Likes

I just started choking on my dinner from laughing so hard! I f’love this term!

6 Likes

Pretty

1 Like

Absolutely stunning salad, glad the Canadian palm trees gave you a good laugh, and my (extra marital) dating life includes same! :smiley_cat::wine_glass:

2 Likes

I took the well worth 2 hour round trip for some excellent gourmet takeout from Il Nido. We enjoyed a pork chop, grilled branzino, duck confit salad, fried squash blossoms, and ricottina (fresh ricotta with 24 month San Danielle prosciutto, and an excellent fig jam). It all went great with Josh cabernet aged in bourbon barrels. We are also starting to get some wisteria flowers to open.

19 Likes

Wow. Nice

2 Likes

Thank you! Cheers :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Beautiful food, and lovely ambience; wisteria has the added benefit of a fabulous fragrance, as well. Thanks once again for the eye candy, and vicarious, gustatory pleasure.

5 Likes