What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Wow, that much for monkfish? Even in NYC where I expect inflation, it’s about $9

A good buddies son worked there thru college so we have enjoyed zuni for many years. I hope to do it proud.

We pay over $30 per pound in Zurich.

1 Like

Good for you @Rooster, again envious. Our one time there does provide great memories.

1 Like

I love Zuni (where we always seem to get the same table by a window on Market) , that recipe, and the cookbook, which I often reference for salting food when you bring it home. Strangely, I don’t remember the garlic. I have a lot of tiny frustrating garlic to use, so I’ll be making it soon. Putting it here so I and others can find it.

I’m probably going to explore making it with bone in skin on breasts, since that is what most of my crazy family likes. Gah! Hopefully Judy would approve.

4 Likes

thank you, so sweet. i haven’t seen that sauce with peanuts and rutabaga yet. chili crisp is amazing!

Mmmm, I like your position on the planet @shrinkrap, with regards to both climate and proximity to SF and Napa. I do very much miss our Reno days, as well as the years kid #1 lived in Sacramento. It’s too cold up here for me.

2 Likes

This is it. I could bathe in it!

11 Likes

We use the garlic under the chicken skin.

2 Likes

That sounds great! I am reminded it’s in the salad part of the recipe as well.

1 Like

I did that based on memory so I could be slightly off but I do remember thinking Mr Bean should quit his day job if he could get that kind of money.

LOL!! I love that sauce too. Especially the crunchy bits.

Whaaa? That is criminal!

Prices here are criminal. Salaries are high, so prices and rents are high.

Woof, ouch…guess I should appreciate what I’ve got. I see butter and capers in my future…

1 Like

My coworker who is Chinese just gave me a jar of this today, though slightly different (label says crispy chili oil).

I can’t wait!

You are in for a treat my man, tho I haven’t yet had the pleasure of trying the crisp yet. But the stuff pictured is amazing. :hot_pepper:

1 Like

Just remember the stock once reduced takes up less space than the bones It was derived from

1 Like

Have to apologize @ChristinaM

I didn’t follow a recipe. Fired up two tablespoons of unsalted butter and a spritz of olive oil in the Wok, then added small diced sweet onions and about two oz of dry roasted peanuts. Sauteed that and just kept adding stuff…

Used a 6.5 oz package of Rice Sticks (prepped to package directions) and Stir Fried vigorously for about four minutes. Then added the sauce to finish:
3 TBLEspoons dark Soy Sauce;
3 TBLEspoons Oyster Sauce;
1 TBLEspoon Sesame Oil.

It was fussed over to assure that I didn’t over cook the Shrimp.

13 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like