What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Okay, I get it now. Phew! Thanks! I was ready for you to divorce your husband, kick your sister out of the house and take the doors off your kids’ rooms. But that’s just me. :relaxed: My rage has now been lowered to extremely irritated. Hang in there, Babe!

4 Likes

Glad you’ve calmed down and don’t need an Rx, hopefully @TheCookie :upside_down_face:

Sorry about the chicken @Saregama, it’s been entertaining though…

3 Likes

Thanks. :grin: It was making me sad to think @Saregama was putting up with that in her own home. I’ll post some food now.

1 Like

Love this one @paryzer. It’s on my favorite budget bottles list.

P.S. Cute pooch!

6 Likes

Agree on the fur baby - who could not love that adorable little face? :heart:

2 Likes

I had a NORMAL day.
As NORMAL as it can be during these crazy times.
The craving for “NORMAL” has been incessant.
But it is less so this evening.

I got a haircut.
All of them.
It’s been 12 weeks.
I used to look like a shaggy dog.
Now I look less shaggy.
NORMAL.

I went to Wegmans, my Happy Place.
And I was beyond happy, even having to wear a mask.
People were friendly, polite, and smiling behind their masks.
They (Wegmans) even had toilet paper!
NORMAL.

I had a late afternoon Driveway Drinkie Time and cheese & crackers with two of my neighbors.
We sat in the sun, talked about lots of things, and drank sangria.
NORMAL.

I made dinner with luscious scallops I got at Wegmans.

Pan-seared scallops with a browned butter, lemon and white wine sauce, Basmati rice and sauteed sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and corn seasoned with Penzeys Shallot-Pepper seasoning and dried tarragon. And the PSTOW.

NORMAL.

And it was a good, NORMAL day. :heart:

21 Likes

Glad you had a lot of “Normal” today. Your dinner looks great. Penzey’s Shallot Pepper seasoning is a staple in my spice cupboard.

1 Like

How delightfully normal. My favorite intersection for shopping is about to go up in flames. So un-delightfully abnormal.

There’s a story behind this simple dish. Growing up, my mom always made something called “Chicken St. Charlie”. If you look it up, you won’t find anything. It’s a recipe she adapted from a restaurant in lower Manhattan called St. Charlie’s in the 80’s. She could never remember the name of the dish, so she named it after the restaurant. Here is my version of it, almost identical except for a few minor changes. Chicken is breaded in flour, lightly fried in butter and olive oil, then removed. Mushrooms are then sautéed in the same pan and deglazed with dry vermouth. You then top the chicken with par-cooked asparagus, provolone cheese, heat in the oven until melted, and top with the mushrooms. Side here is roasted potatoes. It is a quick, relatively simple, and amazing meal that I’ve eaten with slight variations for my entire life.

And yes, all this time there was real wood under that tacky tablecloth! :laughing:

19 Likes

Last night, peppers, followed by chicken Strogonoff and couscous

Early dinner tonight, blistered shishitos and mushrooms

then bloody hamburger puck, sauted greens, frites

17 Likes

NOT normal here. Chicken sandwich and dill potato chips with a Diet Coke, for an early dinner. Very plain, no pic. But the bread was homemade, and quite delicious. Utilized whey from latest yogurt batch. Like being able to use that stuff up. Oh, did a 3 day ferment of the dough in the fridge - good flavor development. Used 1 cup rye flour, didn’t weigh anything. Pretty easy.

11 Likes

Normal is anything but and not looking to change anytime soon. Grocery delivery every 10 days or so. Not choosing meat from a counter. Nor fish or poultry. DH going quite bananas confined in the city -> escape to weekend place which is glorious for a weekend, but he needs to be here longer. 7 days this visit. The view doesn’t change. Like being on an ocean cruise where you wake up in the same port every morning. He is at this moment sitting out in front watching for an occasional pick-up truck to go by. In the city, there are more varied cars and masked pedestrians. I sing along with Gloria Gaynor frequently.

10 Likes

Oh crap, @TheCookie. You’re in one of the cities with riots. :disappointed_relieved: I’m sorry. I truly hate that it’s come to this.

4 Likes

Pan seared skate with lemon, wine caper sauce, butternut squash, mashed potatoes, and brussels.

13 Likes

image image image
Pasta with spicy lobster, tomatoes basil, garlic and white wine sauce. I wanted to make clam sauce but at $7.95 per lb lobsters are cheaper than clams right now so had to take advantage.

13 Likes

It’s a wine soiree. I think they changed the name.

2 Likes

“I can’t quit you.”

1 Like

Nah, it just broke because I undercooked it in the IP and had to recook and stir the hell out of it. :angry: Spaghetti alla chitarra.

Thanks @TheCookie! It’s a pretty good wine for under $20. If you like this you should try Josh cabernet aged in bourbon barrels. It’s also under $20 and even better. Our favorite bourbon barrel aged wine is Cooper and Thief red blend. It is about $22.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious!