What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

I called her out once before (in addition to @Ttrockwood, @smtucker, @Gio). They all had various personal reasons why they dropped off. And their voices are missed.

7 Likes

Berkshire pork short ribs tonight, sous vide first then smoked on the grill.

I ate mine with buttered peas and some of the scalloped potatoes I had frozen last week or so.

What made this was the reduced sauce from my galbi that was in the fridge - I might just make more of that sauce to have around… (the pork was delicious, of course!)

17 Likes

oh ok, thanks. Our spice grinder isn’t that hearty - i tried it before and they didn’t budge!

I was at my sister’s yesterday and we grilled - some kind of beef i had in the freezer - really not sure if it was a piece of chuck or what, didn’t seem like a rib eye, which is what i usually get. I marinated it in evoo, lemon juice, fresh rosemary, garlic & red onion. Also, Greek chicken thighs, marinated in fresh oregano, lemon juice and garlic. All turned out great, despite our complete lack of grilling prowess. Meat was very tender and juicy. And corn on the cob may have been a little too early in the season, but tasty enough slathered in butter.

Today, BF made our usual fries brunch, using the cold oil method again. Turned out crispier than last time as he cut the potatoes thinner. For dinner, he’d tried out a recipe by Chef John of Food Wishes - pasta rolls (homemade pasta), stuffed with sausage & shrooms last night - he saved me one to taste when i got home - and then recreated them again tonight, this time with minced olives instead of mushroom. Tasty but very filling, as they’re dense. The cut sides get seared before baking so it toughens the noodle a bit. Still, very tasty, i really liked the piquant olives with the sausage and marinara. Salad with Marie’s BC dressing on the side.

19 Likes

I made this slow-cooker Italian sausage, kale, and mashed potato stew for dinner. And red (pink) velvet cake.

23 Likes

We had some outstanding takeout from Il Nido for my actual birthday. It was worth the 2 hour round trip. We enjoyed crispy tempura battered soft shell crabs; excellent antipasti salad with assorted salumi, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, parmesan and a nice Italian vinaigrette; Brussels sprouts and farro salad; Berkshire pork chop with broccoli rabe and Mostarda di Cremona. It all went great with an aweso e Shiraz. We finally had a beautiful day to dine al fresco after 2 rainy days in a row. The deck is starting to shape up.

21 Likes

I never thought of ours as particularly hearty. I wonder if maybe you put too little in? Unless you have a couple of teaspoons at least of something in the spice grinder, I can see how it might just fly around avoiding the blades…

1 Like

i forgot to take a pic of the end result tonight: grilled cheeseburgers on challah buns, grilled asparagus and pineapple, plus tater tots. I love a good grilled burger.

7 Likes

That’s a shame… strange times though, so I totally get it. @Ttrockwood was the whole reason I finally managed to get myself the courage to buy a mandolin (and almost lose a fingertip)

5 Likes

Hi @Saregama -

@PHREDDY checked in a little further up the thread. :+1:

I didn’t really dialogue with @ccj much and haven’t messaged her, but it seemed like the board and this thread in particular were an integral part of her life, so I was wondering. But you’re right, everybody is dealing in different ways. I get it. I’d been hanging on my local food board more because it’s restaurant-centric and we’d been eating out a lot. But then the pandemic hit and it became that sense of community - what’s open, what stores have what, who needs support, etc, etc.

Anyway, like you, I hope they are all well and check-in soon. When things like this happen folks worry about those who drop-off.

6 Likes

Sorry for late response. She said “Cheese rolls, guava rolls and potato balls. They take about 15 minutes.”

1 Like

Summer is creeping up, so here in our house, hearty sausages are making ever increasing appearances for dinner. This is pan fried Bratwurst.

(I was so excited to pair this up with “reconstituted” dried Shittake Mushrooms. A complete disaster! I followed package instructions to reconstitute the mushrooms; then added them to the fry pan. They finished, awfully. Hard. Dry. Inedible. At $5.79 for five ounces… Never again!)

11 Likes

Happy (belated) actual birthday! Hope you and Mrs. P. enjoyed your dinner amid the relaxing ambience of your deck “resort.” So lovely.

1 Like

Checking in …am fine…stranded at the south Florida residence… have been lurking here for the last several weeks.
Thank you for asking!

11 Likes

@PHREDDY, Good to read you’re relaxing and well.

4 Likes

Mushrooms! Looking good.

@RedJim I don’t think I’ve ever used whole dried mushrooms - I always slice them thinly after reconstituting. I don’t know what your directions were, but I pour boiling water over the dried mushrooms in a glass bowl, cover it with a plate, and let sit for at least 30 minutes while I’m doing other meal prep. Then I pull out the mushrooms, remove the very woody stems and slice thinly. I usually strain and add the soaking liquid to whatever dish I’m making (usually a noodle soup or a stir fry). Wonder if you kept the mushrooms? I think they could be salvaged and turned into something edible, even wonderful. Don’t give up!

7 Likes

Thanks for your advice, @digga

It was far more detailed than what was printed on the package of mushrooms I had. I’ll just chalk it up to a “Live & Learn” experience. Kind of nice to have those at my advanced age. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Funny, I couldn’t help notice that your post was #666 of this thread @RedJim. :smile:

5 Likes

Thank you @tomatotomato! Mrs. P did an excellent job with designing and planting on the deck. Those extra few feet from the recent deck expansion really make a difference and give us some breathing room. It’s almost like having another living room. The wonderful ambience of al fresco dining help ease the pain of being sheltered at home without being able to dine at our favorite restaurants. It’s always nice to have the best seat in the house without reservations :blush:

8 Likes