What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

He deep fried bhatura? That’s commitment!

(I mean, the rest of the meal too, but it’s usually the bread where I lose steam :joy:)

1 Like

Sunday dinner…
Beef Barley Soup with rustic rye bread as a dipper.

7 Likes

@naf, do you need a “young” house person, someone to horse your packages, scrub your carrots, consume excess gnochi…

1 Like

Sichuan red-braised beef with jasmine rice and roasted cauliflower. The lightly spicy broth was comforting for all our colds.

11 Likes

A quiet, lazy day spent sleeping in and reading. I did finally put away 3 loads of laundry, change the bed, and start a new load of laundry. But there was nothing ambitious on my agenda.

Turkey tenderloin marinated in firecracker marinade, then roasted in the toaster oven. The marinade was boiled, reduced, a bit of sugar added, then it was mounted with butter.

Mashed sweet potatoes with butter, heavy cream, s/p, and grated nutmeg, along with steamed asparagus.

There was wine. I’ll watch the final 2 series finale episodes of “Criminal Minds” for tubular watching.

14 Likes

Beets, orange, red onion

Pork, scallions, rice noodles

16 Likes

he goes all in!

those noodles are killing me!

1 Like

I’ve been lazy about using up the vegetables I bought at the indian market last week, so when my dinner plans got canceled, it was a sign.

Cooked some of my favorites - ivy gourd stir-fried with cilantro and coconut, stuffed okra, and dal fry using a mix of red lentils and pigeon peas (tuvar dal).

The okra is a labor of love - it’s one of my absolute favorite dishes, but a right royal pain to make (my mom calls me crazy every time I do it, but then it’s easier for one person).

Realized belatedly that I made the wrong dal for the meal, the rest of which was gujarati, so the dal should have been too. Oh well.

12 Likes

that beef looks amazing. sorry you have the crud now!

do you have a recipe you can share/paraphrase? I’ve got Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup going in the IP right now for tomorrow night’s dinner (minus the noodles for now, of course) and it smells heavenly. i bet yours did too.

2 Likes

holy cow on all of it, but that araignee steak!!

omg on the tomato sauce with sugar!

yeah, he’s a good one. i think i’ll keep him.

thank you - 99% better!

1 Like

just a shot of my brunch oysters of this afternoon. last night my sister and I took a friend and her hubs out for dinner as she has stepped in and helped us many times. tonight was going to be a Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup but I miscalculated the time it would take in the IP and I’m still full from brunch anyway (there were fries too). So BF is defrosting carnitas for his dinner, and we’ll have the soup tomorrow night. I’m sure it’ll taste even better by then - it smells wonderful!

13 Likes

I loosely followed Fuchsia Dunlop’s recipe in The Food of Sichuan. Basically heated some neutral oil on sauté mode and added 2" unpeeled sliced ginger, 4 scallions lightly crushed, and 6-8 cloves garlic lightly crushed (she doesn’t call for it). Stirred until fragrant and added 1 box beef broth (what I had), a leftover 1/4 box chicken broth, 3 black “false” cardamom (cao guo), 2 star anise, 1/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorn, a pinch of white pepper, maybe 4 Tbsp hot fermented bean paste, 2 Tbsp sweet bean paste, 1-2 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1/4 c Shaoxing (rice wine), and about 2 Tbsp Demerara sugar. Stirred that all together and added a large frozen chuck roast (4ish lbs?), sealed, and cooked at high pressure for 1h30min. Natural release and “kept warm” 7hrs. It was tender and not very stringy - kept its shape in the pot. I added a few Tbsp potato starch mixed in a slurry to thicken the juice slightly. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with your favorite starch.

Here’s a recipe link you might reference.

4 Likes

A couple recipes I saw online look similar to Dunlop’s, but with tomato, coriander, orange peel, etc. What did you do?

this one. i followed it almost exactly, except i used a little less beef.

we’ll see tomorrow!

1 Like

thank you!

Nice! It’ll surely be delicious!

He introduced me to the love of food, he always enjoys eating. I’ve to admit, I didn’t care much in my younger days.

2 Likes

Beef pho last night, first time I broiled some onions and ginger for the broth. I also added orange peel, nuoc mam and rock sugar in addition to the usual spice. Broth was darker than usual but clear. Lots of bones added with oxtail. Raw flank filet thinly sliced slightly cooked with the hot broth and oxtail. Yum!

13 Likes