What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

Dinner tonight was shrimp entoffe.
This is my twist on the classic recipe
finely diced 4 stalks of celery with leaves, 1 green pepper, 3 yellow and red sweet mini peppers that is sautéed till soft in Evoo, medium heat, then I added precaramelized onions and preroasted garlic in Evoo from freezer. Set aside.
To same skillet, I added 4 tbsp.butter, 4 tbsp peanut oil, and 1/4 cup four to make a medium roux. Stir under low-medium heat.
Mix vegetable to roux,
To this, I added a cup of home grown and oven roasted ( 3 hours tomato sauce ( from freezer), 2 cups of shrimp shell broth, 3 bay leaf, pinch of smoked paprika, tabasco, tin of anchovy in Evoo , zest and juice of a lemon, then added 2 bs of 16-20 count unshelled patagonia red shrimp , 1/4 lb shelled shrimp , ( I personally love shrimp with shell on as the goodness of the sauce sticks to it but son prefers his shelled. The shrimp shells were split so the sauce would coat the shrimp) ) This is added for a few minutes until the shrimp turned red as Patagonia shrimp can become overcooked. Added a glass of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio. Adjusted seasoning with salt and Worcestershire. Stirred a teaspoon of fine gumbo file at the end of cooking.
Fonds of fennel before serving for garnish although I did not show as son stirred the pot.
Served with coconut rice and Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

12 Likes

Yes I will ask the baker for it!

Dinner with mom tonight since the BF is at work. Costco rotisserie chicken in the oven after a long day at work, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus. She chipped in with cauliflower croquettes.

Down with one Old Fashioned. Working on the second.

There may be pics later.

3 Likes

Last night was a great dinner of tapas, sangria, and Licor 43 at Dali with several friends. Good to get out and be sociable, as well as enjoy good food and drink.

Even though I swore I was going to eat out of my freezer until it emptied out a bit, I couldn’t pass up getting several packages of split chicken breasts at $.99/lb. at Hannaford. I’ll figure out where to put them tomorrow, said Scarlett.

Roasted up 2 of 'em in the convection oven with minced rosemary, garlic, s/p, and a squidge of lemon juice tucked under the skin, with lemon juice and s/p on top.

The lone side was sauteed green beans, red bell pepper, and shallots with a blend of Penzeys Mural of Flavor, orange zest, and s/p sprinkled in at the end.

Yup. Wine.

(Pictures uploaded from my laptop)

12 Likes

Peppers with fresh cheese, blood orange EVOO

Squigglies with clams and squid ink sauce

12 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Technique. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that are interested.

3 Likes

Greek night - chicken and taters marinated all day in tons of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and oregano. put just the potatoes in a casserole when i got home tonight, added a cup of water with better than bouillon, into the oven for about an hour ten at 400 degrees. still could have been crispier, but they were nice and fluffy inside. bone-in chicken thighs were panfried. Greek salad alongside, with Israeli Feta from TJs. Also, broccoli rabe because I had it. Garlic in everything. We shall not be bothered by vampires tonight. or probably tomorrow either.

16 Likes

One of my favs @ccj - looks delicious! Wish I had dined with you. :yum:

Thanks - really appreciate it.

Thank you Denise …

Glad that you feel inspired …

Today: Torrijas, an ancient convent French Toast bread dessert: The key is we do not use butter or milk in the sauté-ing process. It is prepared with Moscatel sweet White wine and a very light Evoo … Served with sprinkled cinammon if you wish and / or sprinkled with Brown sugar lightly …

5 Likes

@barca, I am extremely interested in this! Is there any way you could provide me with your version of the recipe, or should I search the internet? TIA.

you are always welcome if you are near my area.
That was the first time I tried this
Son is now requesting Alfredo Sauce with some of my cherry tomatoes that I froze to make popping tomatoes with Alfredo Sauce. I was shocked because Alfredo Sauce has cream, ( he does not eat anything white, mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, ricotta cheese etc) also anything with mushroom. (ha Ha Ha)

2 Likes

Why thank you @ccj - you never know. Actually we love going to the Carolina’s and like to visit friends at their lake house in Virginia. Can’t remember the lake, but it’s close to the border of NC.

As well, you are always welcome here, should you choose to travel, and your babies would be welcome too. Completely fenced large back yard. Hell, I would even set a place for them at the table, and they would be welcome to any delicacies they might enjoy while here. :dog::dog: My cat is well used to dogs too.

Which récipe are you interested in ?

1. The mussels with Pacchiere …

2. Tuscan Pork Tenderlion roast …

It shall take a few days, however, yes, I can type it out …

Oh sorry I didn’t reference it - the ancient convent French Bread dessert. Hope it’s not too long or difficult for you. I could maybe also research it on internet if it’s pretty standard? Just let me know and also no hurry!

2 Likes

Once every 12 years!

5 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

New thread for March is here:

1 Like

TORRIJAS … CONVENT LENT BREAKFAST DESSERT ( SPANISH FRENCH TOAST )

For 2 people :

2 SLICES OF A THICKLY SLICED EGG OR RAISIN BREAD ( WE USE A BREAD FROM A CONVENT BUT CLOSEST ABROAD MIGHT BE THE ABOVE )

2 EGGS
1 GLASS OF MOSCATEL SWEET WHITE WINE OR SIMILAR
DUSTING SUGAR ( NATURAL SUGAR BROWN EXTREMELY FINE FOR SPRINKLING )
CINAMMON GROUND VERY FINE
A BOTTLE OF VERY LIGHT SPANISH OLIVE OIL EXTRA VIRGIN
1 SKILLET OR SAUTÉ PAN

1. COMBINE YOUR EGGS WITH THE WINE (LIKE you would do with milk and eggs in making French Toast)

and lightly beaten.

1. place the evoo in the skillet …

2. take the bread slices (oval slices ) and dip lightly into the egg mixture.

3. sauté in HOT EVOO …

4. SAUTÉ UNTIL GOLDEN GOLDEN

5. THEN DRAIN ON PAPER TOWELLING

6. WHEN JUST A BIT COOLER, SPRINKLE WITH SUGAR AND CINAMMON

SERVE WITH FRESH FRUIT OF CHOICE AND AN ESPRESSO OR CAFFÉ CAPUCCHINO

ENJOY !!! NICE BRUNCH IN BED !!! Ha Ha Ha … or a 17.00 SNACK CALLED A MERIENDA.

6 Likes